Page 37 of 78 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

bumping this thread to add "Big Tortas Big Tacos" (or as we call it - big tortas butts gordas) on 27th south state as a contender for one of my favorite sandwiches in the valley. their asada sandwich with grilled peppers and onions and oaxaca cheese is nothing short of a masterpiece, a veritable symphony between two buns.

while you're there run across the street to that donut place and snag a few. they're legit.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    bumping this thread to add "Big Tortas Big Tacos" (or as we call it - big tortas butts gordas) on 27th south state as a contender for one of my favorite sandwiches in the valley. their asada sandwich with grilled peppers and onions and oaxaca cheese is nothing short of a masterpiece, a veritable symphony between two buns.

while you're there run across the street to that donut place and snag a few. they're legit.
    I used to live right there, but that was before Big Tortas was there. Donuts and Deli though, oh man. I used to smell it from my porch letting the dog out in the morning if the breeze was right. The apple fritter is on point.

Nohm is the best restaurant in SLC

I'm going to big tortas. I've been getting doughnuts at the shop there for a decade. But I need a good tortas. Al pastor?

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Sandwiches

I'm sure some of these have been mentioned but as a sandwich fiend I can contribute.Feldman's Deli, Grove Deli Market, Caputos, Moochies

Went there today on your rec. They were good. A visiting maggot from CA had tacos, he said they were the best tacos he's had in Utah. I'm taking him later this week to Basinbeaters taco rec's mentioned earlier in this thread to see if they are better, I think they will be.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Went there today on your rec. They were good. A visiting maggot from CA had tacos, he said they were the best tacos he's had in Utah. I'm taking him later this week to Basinbeaters taco rec's mentioned earlier in this thread to see if they are better, I think they will be.
    Are those recs taco carts? Some of the slc taco carts are amazing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

yep the old sears taco carts - absolutely killer. the best one was always the one right on state & 800south or whatever.

on a dramatic change of pace for this thread - wifey and i went to loghaven to celebrate an anniversary/her getting US citizenship. we hike in millcreek 2-3 times a week, and ski there in the winter a similar amount, but we had never stopped in before. felt like it was a bit of a bucket list item, glad we did it. here's my mag-review:

- ambience is stunning up there, seriously, their patio is amazing
    - food was super fast, delicious, and beautifully presented
    - service was great
    - while the wine menu was outstanding, neither myself nor ms tgapp drink wine - i'm a beer/cocktail/whiskey guy, and on all of those fronts, their menus were poor.

ffs, if you have a $500 bottle of wine on your menu, how hard is it to stock some of the ultra classic (and widely available) european "god tier" beers? schneider-weiss aventinus, orval, chimay, rodenbach - or even world class US beers? they had a couple utah beers (hop nosh/detour/bohemian's czech pils), and some anderson valley, and bud light. and for cocktails - meh, not great, not terrible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20200929_003000665.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	341751

don't get me wrong, i'm not "above" anderson valley or uinta or even bud light, but if i'm going to be celebrating a once-in-ten years event, i'd like a bottle of beer that i'm fucking STOKED on.

ffs, if you have a $500 bottle of wine on your menu, how hard is it to stock some of the ultra classic (and widely available) european "god tier" beers? schneider-weiss aventinus, orval, chimay, rodenbach - or even world class US beers? they had a couple utah beers (hop nosh/detour/bohemian's czech pils), and some anderson valley, and bud light. and for cocktails - meh, not great, not terrible.

don't get me wrong, i'm not "above" anderson valley or uinta or even bud light, but if i'm going to be celebrating a once-in-ten years event, i'd like a bottle of beer that i'm fucking STOKED on.
    Easy.
    A, because this is fucking UT, not somewhere that has been touched by civilization yet.
    B, because in any self-respecting Euro-inspired fancy dining establishment you don't drink beer with your meal. Wine or water. It's fine if you're in a German tavern, any filthy lager can be used to wash down some cabbage and a sausage, but from the restaurant's perspective it's better to stock up on fancy wines rather than beers. Much better $ margin on the wines which people will get just to complete the experience. Nobody's buying a $100 beer. Wine? Shit yeah, look at that fancy label, guaranteed to get the tinder date into bed.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    <snip> you don't drink beer with your meal. Wine or water.
    The filthy French furriner is right about this.

Easy.
    A, because this is fucking UT, not somewhere that has been touched by civilization yet.
    B, because in any self-respecting Euro-inspired fancy dining establishment you don't drink beer with your meal. Wine or water. It's fine if you're in a German tavern, any filthy lager can be used to wash down some cabbage and a sausage, but from the restaurant's perspective it's better to stock up on fancy wines rather than beers. Much better $ margin on the wines which people will get just to complete the experience. Nobody's buying a $100 beer. Wine? Shit yeah, look at that fancy label, guaranteed to get the tinder date into bed.

i don't know, i feel like most modern fine dining establishments in the states will have a small selection of world-class beers. i understand the wine-or-water culture that exists in much of Europe, but i also feel like expecting a high quality beer menu at a top-tier restaurant isn't entirely unreasonable, this is 'MURICA for goddamn crying out loud. i honestly feel like it stems from a general disdain for beer as being an inferior drink (the old german tavern stereotype).

if they had a bottle of chimay blue there i sure as fuck would have paid $60 for it - that's a helluva margin. or i would have gladly forked over $15-20 for a bottle of aventinus.

yep the old sears taco carts - absolutely killer. the best one was always the one right on state & 800south or whatever.

on a dramatic change of pace for this thread - wifey and i went to loghaven to celebrate an anniversary/her getting US citizenship. we hike in millcreek 2-3 times a week, and ski there in the winter a similar amount, but we had never stopped in before. felt like it was a bit of a bucket list item, glad we did it. here's my mag-review:

- ambience is stunning up there, seriously, their patio is amazing
    - food was super fast, delicious, and beautifully presented
    - service was great
    - while the wine menu was outstanding, neither myself nor ms tgapp drink wine - i'm a beer/cocktail/whiskey guy, and on all of those fronts, their menus were poor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20200929_003000665.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	341751

Id have surely suggested the sears carts and the fish one is $$$$$$$$$$

Anderson Valley makes some fine beers, but yeah - I don't get real excited about a good beer list vs a good wine list.

And point of order, wasn't Tinder was invented so you didn't have to buy a $350 bottle of wine to get some?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

No, SLC carts don't hold a candle to anything in Mexico.

Well played.

heh - for a minute there i was rolling my eyes, until i saw who you were quoting.

well done, well done.

fucken coldblooded damn

Sent from a van down by the river
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

i don't know, i feel like most modern fine dining establishments in the states will have a small selection of world-class beers. i understand the wine-or-water culture that exists in much of Europe, but i also feel like expecting a high quality beer menu at a top-tier restaurant isn't entirely unreasonable, this is 'MURICA for goddamn crying out loud. i honestly feel like it stems from a general disdain for beer as being an inferior drink (the old german tavern stereotype).

if they had a bottle of chimay blue there i sure as fuck would have paid $60 for it - that's a helluva margin. or i would have gladly forked over $15-20 for a bottle of aventinus.
    Hey, I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying beer is still seen as a non-traditional pairing in most high-end restaurants (or places which aspire to be seen as such) and it's much easier to slap a ridiculously high price on a wine bottle than on a beer bottle. The margin in fine dining is very heavily driven by the wines, not the food. A $60 beer would be seen as super pricey but a $60 wine bottle is typically in the lowest third of the price list at most restaurants and nobody bats an eye at it, even if they would pay $12 for it at the liquor store.
    The only beer you're likely to find in fancy places is generic low-end shit to please the carb-counting polo-shirt-and-loafer-without-socks-wearing BMW-driving trophy-wife-having member of the elite class. Those bros would fucking riot if they were denied their Bud Lite.

On another note, I thought 'murica would have adopted the BYOB model completely by now. Freedom and stuff no?
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Hey, I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying beer is still seen as a non-traditional pairing in most high-end restaurants (or places which aspire to be seen as such) and it's much easier to slap a ridiculously high price on a wine bottle than on a beer bottle. The margin in fine dining is very heavily driven by the wines, not the food. A $60 beer would be seen as super pricey but a $60 wine bottle is typically in the lowest third of the price list at most restaurants and nobody bats an eye at it, even if they would pay $12 for it at the liquor store.
    The only beer you're likely to find in fancy places is generic low-end shit to please the carb-counting polo-shirt-and-loafer-without-socks-wearing BMW-driving trophy-wife-having member of the elite class. Those bros would fucking riot if they were denied their Bud Lite.

On another note, I thought 'murica would have adopted the BYOB model completely by now. Freedom and stuff no?
    yeah that's true. i've called ahead a few places to see if they have a corking service/bottle fee, and while we've done that, i also don't want to go to the trouble of having to think about what beer i want with my food beforehand. that's their fucking job. i just wanna show up and drink good beer.

and - as for the association between wine and fine dining, fair, but that's largely a cultural relic of where our fine dining tradition originally came from (italy and france), and places like loghaven are more modern american fusion than anything (i had halibut with marinated wood ear mushrooms in a miso/sake reduction with shrimp gyoza-style dumplings). if i was going to walter's or veneto, bitching about beer would be basic.

plus, americans really don't know shit about alcohol, and i wouldn't trust 98% of them to make an appropriate selection/pairing for a meal. it's clearly not about the food, so why the pretense, if they're gonna drink a merlot with their risotto anyway?

yeah that's true. i've called ahead a few places to see if they have a corking service/bottle fee, and while we've done that, i also don't want to go to the trouble of having to think about what beer i want with my food beforehand. that's their fucking job. i just wanna show up and drink good beer.

and - as for the association between wine and fine dining, fair, but that's largely a cultural relic of where our fine dining tradition originally came from (italy and france), and places like loghaven are more modern american fusion than anything (i had halibut with marinated wood ear mushrooms in a miso/sake reduction with shrimp gyoza-style dumplings). if i was going to walter's or veneto, bitching about beer would be basic.

plus, americans really don't know shit about alcohol, and i wouldn't trust 98% of them to make an appropriate selection/pairing for a meal. it's clearly not about the food, so why the pretense, if they're gonna drink a merlot with their risotto anyway?
    Merlot, damn, that's rough.

Funny that you mention american fusion though. That's what modern high-end Euro restaurants serve now. Same all over the world really, fusion is all the rage, take a national/regional basis, throw in wild influences and voila, happy times in the mouth! The traditional places are still going strong and some are still very high-brow but they're not really the national pride that they used to be. People are venturing outside of their national cuisines because they realize that there's a shit ton of great food elsewhere and being nationalistic about it makes you a narrow-minded asshole with a dull palate.

Agree that the standard views on pairings need to go though. For most people pairings are completely irrelevant, just give them what they like, it's not like they're going to have an orgasm is you give them a 2004 Bordeaux but vomit everywhere with the 2005. That old dogma of red wines with meat and white wines with fish is dead. Twenty years ago it was a crime to have anything but Sauternes with your foie gras, these days you don't even get prison time for pairing the poor goose's liver with a red.
    What's that? You want beer instead? Why not, the sweetness and tartness of a Flanders Ale would really complement the smoothness of the foie. Cider? Sure, again with the sweetness, an esoteric but interesting pairing. Bubbly water? Why not, it's crisp and clean, it will really isolate and enhance the flavors, how refined. Coke - hold on here we're not fucking animals, that shit should be banned from dining establishments and only used to dissolve stubborn residue in pots and pans.

D’accord!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Totally agree. Went to a higher end brunch joint sunday and after seeing the effort they put toward their cocktail and wine list, was extremely disappointed by the beer selection. He’ll even the Italian sodas seemed more interesting. I’d expect this 15 years ago in Utah but not now. at least give me a few decent imports and a few local “harder to find” (ie not cutthroat) beers. A boozy bomber I can sip through my whole meal would also be nice .

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well cmon now.

SLC Eats

the problem with places serving fancy beer is that unless someone on staff is willing to commit to being a giant beer nerd, what constitutes a “good” craft beer changes every year at minimum. and in the meantime you gotta listen to every unjustifiably condescending bearded hipster asking you to check the bottling dates on all your IPAs.

I love craft beer too but the “beer scene” is so unbearable and trendy, I wouldn’t waste my time with it either if it was my restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    the problem with places serving fancy beer is that unless someone on staff is willing to commit to being a giant beer nerd, what constitutes a “good” craft beer changes every year at minimum. and in the meantime you gotta listen to every unjustifiably condescending bearded hipster asking you to check the bottling dates on all your IPAs.

I love craft beer too but the “beer scene” is so unbearable and trendy, I wouldn’t waste my time with it either if it was my restaurant.
    Name:  Aventinus_Label.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  138.3 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.36.41 AM.png
Views: 601
Size:  636.0 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.37.16 AM.png
Views: 304
Size:  461.9 KB

fashion fades, but style lasts forever

also - all the bottles i would recommend are incredibly shelf-stable, bottle-conditioned, and only get tastier with time. sure, you gotta have whatever the latest ipa craze is, but don't equate beer hipsters with beer connoisseurs; that would be like putting boissal in the same category of people as those kids in spain who put wine and coke in super soakers during Sanfermine.