Page 13 of 78 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Is Ruth Chris better than the Steak Pit at the bird?
    I don’t frequent steak houses, but I always enjoy the one night a year, I eat there.
    Yes it's better, and flemmings (another chain) ain't too bad either

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Ruth's Chris downtown is great, for a non chain Spencer's was always my go to steak joint.
    As for porcupine, fuck that place my 5 year always wants to go there, food sucks. Check your salad for mold, and everything else leave much to be desired. Garbage.
    Mokis on the other hand for lunch, is the bomb! Fucking love that place!
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Ruth's Chris downtown is great, for a non chain Spencer's was always my go to steak joint.
    As for porcupine, fuck that place my 5 year always wants to go there, food sucks. Check your salad for mold, and everything else leave much to be desired. Garbage.
    Mokis on the other hand for lunch, is the bomb! Fucking love that place!
    Mokis kinda rocks, but it ain't too centrally located. Probably a good think. FYI siragusas is just south of mokis. Maybe 4 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    yeah I always found porcupine overrated (not bad just not great either)

I only really know the stuff downtown but there’s plenty of good food and more keeps coming... I have to concede that moochies is really not worth the hype, but sushi burrito right nearby can hang. and curry fried chicken on state street is killer.
    Moochies was good 10 years ago before guy fieri showed up and made them think they are greater than they are. Quality control went in t the shitter. Their name carries them unfortunately.

Always wanted to try that curry chicken spot on State. Used to pass it all the time when I worked downtown.

http://www.slclunches.com/pretty-bir...s-february-21/
    Here we go!
    Going to try to make it down this weekend I think.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

yeah I always found porcupine overrated (not bad just not great either)

I only really know the stuff downtown but there’s plenty of good food and more keeps coming... I have to concede that moochies is really not worth the hype, but sushi burrito right nearby can hang. and curry fried chicken on state street is killer.
    heading to Texas for a weeks golf after the 10 days skiing so Mexican is not on the SLC lookout....

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Yeah, screw the chains, although I concur Ruth Chris is probably your best bet for steak, Go up Fort Union to The Huddle for the National Championship game, great whiskey selection, better tv's and acceptable bar food.
    If Italian is your thing try Carmines, also due east of where you are staying. You cant go wrong with the Cottonwood Cafe for breakfast, best blueberry pancakes anywhere.
    That's a small start, please for the love of all that's holy don't go to chilis or the cheesecake factory.
    I do like the Ruth Chris downtown - been there every year I ave been in SLC...

Carmines sounds worth a shot....

I love Cheesecake Factory - I have no idea why either....

Chilis is just because its close, has TVs....

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Skip Chili’s and Cheesecake Factory. Watch the B Ball game at Gracies or Porcupine Grill. More fun, better food, and cuter girls. Ruth’s Chris is a chain restaurant but I have had some amazing meals there. It’s very expensive but always good. Not likely to find a better steak in Utah. There’s a really good sushi restaurant kind of close to you called Tsunami if that’s your thing. If you find yourself in Jackson, Wyoming go to the Stagecoach in Wilson and ask how to get ahold of Calum Mackay, and old wooden toothed Scotsman. He’ll take care of you. He’ll also sing with you. And you’ll probably have to buy his drinks.
    Thanks for all of them... will look in to Gracies and Porcupine....

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    He’s from Scotland. Chili’s is like fine dining to them.
    No just does wings and typical American food!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frosted flakes View Post
    You’re flying 10 hours to go to Chili’s and Cheesecake Factory? Those are two huge and mediocre (at best) chains. Seems like you could do better than that. Maybe watch the game at beer bar or Gracie’s or some other suggestion from this thread?
    I am going all that way to ski - last memory was April 10th and all that POW last year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scott_donald View Post
    heading to Texas for a weeks golf after the 10 days skiing so Mexican is not on the SLC lookout....

Different varieties of Mexican. I'd get it both place honestly. Way better than anything you'd find in the UK I have to imagine. We have more mainland Mexican vs Texmex in TX.

Do you play darts? And are you good? If so phall and my darts team could use a ringer for a week or two. Tuesday nights.

For a bar if you want something NOT a huge chain go to The Union on 900 East. Equally as close to your hotel. Can't vouch for the food, but a much better bar atmosphere than you'd get at Chilis.

Or I see there's a Red Rock Brewing near the Cheesecake Factory at the mall you're near. That place would have better atmosphere than Chil's too, and local beer.

I love Cheesecake Factory - I have no idea why either....
    Have you tried McDonalds?

fwiw sushi burrito is not mexican
    And TexMex sucks.

Not for Scottish people but some news for us locals: http://www.slclunches.com/pretty-bir...s-february-21/

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    http://www.slclunches.com/pretty-bir...s-february-21/
    Here we go!
    Going to try to make it down this weekend I think.
    Whoops, I just posted this! Duh, sorry.

Mbillie , TexMex is so heavy and overdone.

And yes, sushi is sushi and I'd love to try a sushi burrito!

Fajitas can be pretty damn good...and that's Tex Mex!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Do you play darts? And are you good? If so phall and my darts team could use a ringer for a week or two. Tuesday nights.
    My 25 years ago bar dwelling self would totally take you up on that! I spent quite a few years playing cricket on Monday nights and 301 Wednesday nights.

While we’re on the topic of bar games, I should add that the pool tables at big willies are awesome. And both the pool and the beers are pretty cheap too.

Different varieties of Mexican. I'd get it both place honestly. Way better than anything you'd find in the UK I have to imagine. We have more mainland Mexican vs Texmex in TX.

Yes Mexican sucks here... a few places here but nothing compared to Houston...

fraud not my dad who is with me used to play regularly as he owned a pub here in Scotland... thanks for the offer....

For a bar if you want something NOT a huge chain go to The Union on 900 East. Equally as close to your hotel. Can't vouch for the food, but a much better bar atmosphere than you'd get at Chilis.

Or I see there's a Red Rock Brewing near the Cheesecake Factory at the mall you're near. That place would have better atmosphere than Chil's too, and local beer.
    will certainly google there....

Red Rock is traditionally our straight to place from the airport for beer for my dad and food for me... like it there....

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Have you tried McDonalds?
    not for at least 10 years... except their shakes are nice and cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    My 25 years ago bar dwelling self would totally take you up on that! I spent quite a few years playing cricket on Monday nights and 301 Wednesday nights.
    wow cricket... was not expecting that in SLC....

Reading through here also thinking -

Trio on 9th and 9th...
    Mekong cafe Thai....

wow cricket... was not expecting that in SLC....
    I chuckled.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

It's a small but healthy league, 18 teams total for the three divisions. We're trying to hold our own in C's but just started playing in January. Tons of fun
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    It's a small but healthy league, 18 teams total for the three divisions. We're trying to hold our own in C's but just started playing in January. Tons of fun
    Don't lie..it's an excuse to drink beer.

Finally i see someone's been to Mekong thai.

Also, I expect a full TR of Pretty Bird if anyone gets there today. Planning on trying to go Friday/Saturday PM.

Polly wanna cracker?

Interesting. May put it off for a week or two let the hype die down. I shared this with my coworker, and we agree that complaining about pricing on the internet is one of the lamest things, but yeah, 9.50 for a quarter bird is a bit steep. I get its Viet Pham, and a niche, but it seems as though SLC is creeping up and up on some of the food prices.

LOL $1 for a slice of bread? or do you get a "few" with that $1 order...and a $1 for pickles? Best be more than the 2 shown in milleb's pic...

Fuck over hyped, mediocre, overpriced food.

I too thought trad nashville hot chix was part of the batter itself not something added after..guess all chefs "years" getting it right still fall short.

Wont be rushing down there personally.

not to pile on (I enjoyed my food and will be going back) but at least ostensibly what is shown in my pic is an "extra" order of pickles. it was pretty chaotic in there so I'd expect some things to get ironed out, but not sure about that powdered spice business... or the heat levels
    wow thats a $1 worth of pickles? I am nearly 100% sure Chef is getting those from Sysco not making his own...the bread is obviously food service too...shame they have to cover costs that way....little to rich for my blood without an incredibly stellar review...Mbillie yours was not stellar.

EDIT: And fuck all with a $9 chicken thigh sandwich...thighs are the fucking cheapest parts to buy..thats some astronomical markup....

Another fantastic meal at Eva's last night. I've never had a bad meal there.