Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Not sure if they've been mentioned but some of my go to's are R&R for bbq, Sapa for sushi, and The Bagel Project for killer bagels. Porcupine in my opinion is only so so, I like the Dodo better (same owners).

Took gf to Provisions in Millcreek last month for their 4 anniversary or some shit

Had a 6 course tasting menu and mandatory wine tasting that came out to be like $200 / person

With that said , it was the best and most avant- garde meal I’ve had in Utah since moving here. It was unreal and on par with the best meals I’ve had in NYC/ATL.

Ive dined out quite a bit in SLC as a way to assimilate into the city’s culture and have been disappointed with 90% of the meals I’ve had here. Provisions blew me away.

I’ll also recommend sushi groove as an excellent local sushi spot.

Lake Effect’s food is low grade dog food

Kimis Chops and Oyster is servicable

R&R is ok but if it was located in the south it would be medium to lower tier bbq

Market Street Oyster is serviceable but the menu lacks creativity and is rather Passè

Chimayo is decent but overpriced

Pig & a jelly jar is a decent interpretation of southern food

Takashi IMO is ok but nothing earth shattering. Not bad given the low bar set for the dining scene here.

Jinya Ramen is great but also a chain

Glad we have Zaxbys and Chick Fil A to still allow me to get some south in my mouth

Salt Lake for a city of its size has woefully bad food , with the exception of their mex and sushi offerings

^ curious about provisions and sushi groove now. agree the dining here leaves something to be desired. worst tipping state in the country must be a factor too.

all I need to say about provisions... fois gras lollipops covered in pop rocks and Veuve for dessert was rad

Also the whipped UNI with Salmon roe was incredible

Sushi groove has great priced super fresh sushi... it’s off highland in the brickyard area

Go for the Tasmanian Sea Trout Sashimi and escolar ... they have a wide assortment of Americanized rolls but I always go for nigiri or sashimi

I went to R&R the other night and was pretty disappointed in the brisket. The pulled pork and mac & cheese were both better than I remembered though. I’ll still go back when I’m in the area.

I had a very good meal at HSL and would recommend it if you’re ok with spending a bit of money. We shared a bunch of plates among 4 or 5 of us, which was perfect.

Caputos has great breakfast sandwiches.

It’s not technically eats, but I’ve heard good things about Kiitos so I’m excited to check our their new place later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    Took gf to Provisions in Millcreek last month for their 4 anniversary or some shit

Had a 6 course tasting menu and mandatory wine tasting that came out to be like $200 / person

With that said , it was the best and most avant- garde meal I’ve had in Utah since moving here. It was unreal and on par with the best meals I’ve had in NYC/ATL.

Ive dined out quite a bit in SLC as a way to assimilate into the city’s culture and have been disappointed with 90% of the meals I’ve had here. Provisions blew me away.

R&R is ok but if it was located in the south it would be medium to lower tier bbq

Market Street Oyster is serviceable but the menu lacks creativity and is rather Passè

Takashi IMO is ok but nothing earth shattering. Not bad given the low bar set for the dining scene here.

Glad we have Zaxbys and Chick Fil A to still allow me to get some south in my mouth

Salt Lake for a city of its size has woefully bad food , with the exception of their mex and sushi offerings
    Quite a bit? Haven't you only been here less than a year? C'mon now. You ain't even scratched the food offerings surface yet even if you've eaten every meal out since moving here. Settle down.

Edit. R&R sucks. Don't know why you bothered. You list lacks a ton of good eats in the SLC area that have been listed in this thread. It sure ain't NYC/LA/etc, but it's getting better every year.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Cafe Eva in downtown SLC was my most recent night out with the Mrs. I may be biased because we get out infrequently and one of the owners is a friend, but I thought it was pretty great.

Sushi groove is great unless they have a band playing. Four dudes raging in 600 sq ft is a great way to feel like you're eating by yourself because you won't be able to hold a conversation even if you're with a bunch of people. They're trying too hard to get that fucking hipster cool vibe. Stick to serving great food, you're a restaurant, not a concert arena.
    Re: Jinya, I never understood the issue with a place being part of a chain. Who cares as long as the food is good? I'm not eating "soul", mom and pop food doesn't taste any better because it's unique...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Quite a bit? Haven't you only been here less than a year? C'mon now. You ain't even scratched the food offerings surface yet even if you've eaten every meal out since moving here. Settle down.

Edit. R&R sucks. Don't know why you bothered. You list lacks a ton of good eats in the SLC area that have been listed in this thread. It sure ain't NYC/LA/etc, but it's getting better every year.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I think I'm bitching because the first full season I've been here there has been no snow =]

What do y'all think is the best slice in SLC? I find The Pie to be too saucy... ESTE has been dece

Also +1 to Caputo's, has become my go to stop on the way back to Sugarhouse from golfing at Old Mill

What do y'all think is the best slice in SLC? I find The Pie to be too saucy... ESTE has been dece
    Sicilia on 300S makes good slices, if you haven't been yet. Johnny Slice across the street might have closed, but it was also decent. Also Este is decent. I haven't found anything better but would love to...

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Sicilia on 300S makes good slices, if you haven't been yet. Johnny Slice across the street might have closed, but it was also decent. Also Este is decent. I haven't found anything better but would love to...
    I have not been there , thanks for the tip. GF lives in NYC so she's shipping me out 2 pies from Greenwich Village this weekend... so fucking stoked.

How is settobello (sp?)

I think I'm bitching because the first full season I've been here there has been no snow =]

Also +1 to Caputo's, has become my go to stop on the way back to Sugarhouse from golfing at Old Mill
    There is lots to still discover young grasshopper. Heres one for you

http://francksfood.com/#

As far as slices go, estes is the only one you'll find, from my perspective, that is even remotely decent. I personally think they have opened far too many other eateries (multiple Estes locations, the Estes deli, and they own Sughood BBQ) and the quality of the pizza has gone down tremendously since they first opened. Still ok, but certainly not for the prices they charge.

How is settobello (sp?)
    it's ok, super overrated though imo

you around the downtown area? eva on main st is really good, and martine up on I think 100S is spendy but great. also bud's sandwiches on 300S, vegan but awesome (I'm not vegan but still eat their sandwiches)

also the crappy looking greek place on 300S / 400E is surprisingly decent

edit: and just had bagel project, hell yeah that was awesome

it's ok, super overrated though imo

you around the downtown area? eva on main st is really good, and martine up on I think 100S is spendy but great. also bud's sandwiches on 300S, vegan but awesome (I'm not vegan but still eat their sandwiches)

also the crappy looking greek place on 300S / 400E is surprisingly decent

edit: and just had bagel project, hell yeah that was awesome
    Bagel project is a good old jersey boy. He makes the ONLY bagel in SLC that is the REAL DEAL...his prices unfortunately reflect. Its nearly $20 for a dozen bagels. Probably double what it would cost in any NJ/NY bagel shop... delicious though for sure...

Do the ghettos and crime in SLC meet up to your Atlanta standards or are they rather passé too?
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

SLC Eats

Is Blue Plate still around?. We were regulars for a while. Heard it went downhill after Guy visited.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Guy does have an uncanny ability to ruin everything he touches. Moochies certainly took a hit as well.

IMO, Park Cafe is hard to beat in the “diner” slot.

Saigon Sandwich in Sandy has good pho. Not the best ever, but it's cheap, five minutes from my house, the owner is a really nice guy, the whole kitchen staff is Vietnamese, and it's fuckin' Sandy so I'm stoked for anything that isn't strip mall slop. Great specials Fri/Sat for the more adventurous who want something beyond pho, bahn mi and bun.

Oh Mai. the garlic-butter ribeye steak banh mi. one fucking solid sandwich. my go to for skin track food or bell-to-bell lift-op skiing chair food.

Red Iguana. La Punta al la Nortena. gives me culinary wood just thinking about it.

Bombay India. haven't found anything to hate on that menu.

Sicilia on 300S makes good slices...
    +1
    not much of a pizza guy, but this outfit puts out some good pie by the slice. recently went to MOD pizza in park city (soon to open in sugarhouse), "fast food" style thin crust build-to-order pizza was suprisingly tasty.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post
    Guy does have an uncanny ability to ruin everything he touches. Moochies certainly took a hit as well.

Park Cafe and Finns are both better brunch spots than Blue Plate IMO. Over the Counter as well.

yeah Over the Counter was great when I ate there

Quote Originally Posted by kai_ski View Post

Moochies problem is they got too big for their britches after Guy's visit. They have far too many locations now to keep a handle on the QC......i rarely if ever go there anymore, and think DownTown Philly CheeseSteaks are better/closer to authentic. Even the meatballs have suffered greatly at Moochies.. Sad really.

If you're comfortable with the feeling of playing E. coli roulette, The Philadelphian has a better sandwich than moochies. I also love the brats at The Beer Bar downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    If you're comfortable with the feeling of playing E. coli roulette

I feel this way about The Busy Bee... an old boss recommended it, then we ate there and my wife got food poisoning. mentioned this to that boss and he goes "oh yeah, I forgot to say, you gotta ask Deano to use the fresh mayo"

Thought Moochies has been pretty dank the 3-4 times I've visited, albiet Post Guy Fieri.

Wish we could get a Bojangles, Cookout, and Whataburger