Page 66 of 78 FirstFirst ... 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 1948

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    What are everyone's go to spots for Chinese (east coast/american style totally fine)? Ideally open on Christmas
    Happy Hannukah!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

We ended up doing Mom's on xmas and it was better than I remember it being

Any recs for healthy options? Fast casual or sit down are both cool - just looking for something vegetable heavy.

Zest is pretty decent, my vegetarian gf approves.
    Montani Semper Liberi

RE veg, I ate at Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant & Market tonight on 15th and State St-ish. Seemed pretty good. First time having Ethiopian food. Not sure if it's my favorite - you end up eating a lot of bread but it's a good vibe. Without commenting AT ALL on whether it's good Ethiopian​ food, I'd say it tasted B+ for SLC. We got the 2-person tasting plate which had a variety of dishes. Ton of food so I'd say fairly priced. Definitely going into the archive for places to go with vegetarians, though. Lots of veggie dishes (two meat portions per person but like 6 veg ones).

Also, have I mentioned that Kohinoor down in Orem is awesome? Almost went touring down in Provo today with the intention of stopping there after. It's so, so good. Some of the best Indian I've had in that tier (i.e., homemade/standard/non-gourmet). Not just "good for UT" but good generally!

Lastly, has anyone been to Over the Cole's BBQ in Holladay/MC? Someone is shilling it on the Wasatch Back BBQ Facebook group and it looks okay (but pricey). https://overthecolesbbq.com/

Thanks for the recs guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    ^just finished. This place is a gem. Now I’m going to be torn instead of always going to one more while at the Asian market

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    What is worth ordering there?

We had Fried Potstickers, Minced Pork Fried Potato Noodle, and Garlic Ribs.

I saw an eggplant dish at another table that looked very good, maybe Fish-Flavored Eggplant, and the waitress suggested sauteed diced chicken with peanuts, garlic boneless pork feet, sauteed pork in hot sauce, and sauteed pork intestines. (we weren't feeling offal). The noodle soup i saw at another table also looked great.

Mahider is great, so friendly. I have heard from FigEats on IG (local slc foodie) that Oromian is better.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I really like the fried crispy pork which is really well done and comes with a very fun spice mixture

Oromian vs Mahider was a toss-up when we saw it on the map. Odd that they're so close to each other!

I went to Cucina in the foothills yesterday with some friends (I think upon recommendation of this thread) and it was fantastic. Possibly my new favorite restaurant in SLC.

All of the menu items were really intriguing with creative combinations of ingredients. Everything cooked well, presented well, tasted good. Atmosphere and ambiance was great - darker dining room but balanced with modern decor and a casual, intimate setting backstopped by the deli. Service good, really liked our waiter who was happy to explain exactly what was on the plate (+ going beyond just what the menu said).

Good options for vegetarians. The "Lion's Mane Under a Brick" combined three preparations of mushrooms into a dish - creamy mushroom puree, sweet shiitake mushrooms poached in sake, and the seared/roasted lion's mane. Complemented well by a chili oil.

Pricy for Salt Lake but good for it. Three of us shared two appetizers and three entrees + two glasses of wine and came out to 170 all-in. I was way happier paying for that than when I went to Table X. If Cucina did a similar scope tasting menu it'd be a much better overall experience and probably come out to $80/person without alcohol (vs 100 at Table X).

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I went to Cucina in the foothills yesterday with some friends (I think upon recommendation of this thread) and it was fantastic. Possibly my new favorite restaurant in SLC.

All of the menu items were really intriguing with creative combinations of ingredients. Everything cooked well, presented well, tasted good. Atmosphere and ambiance was great - darker dining room but balanced with modern decor and a casual, intimate setting backstopped by the deli. Service good, really liked our waiter who was happy to explain exactly what was on the plate (+ going beyond just what the menu said).

Good options for vegetarians. The "Lion's Mane Under a Brick" combined three preparations of mushrooms into a dish - creamy mushroom puree, sweet shiitake mushrooms poached in sake, and the seared/roasted lion's mane. Complemented well by a chili oil.

Pricy for Salt Lake but good for it. Three of us shared two appetizers and three entrees + two glasses of wine and came out to 170 all-in. I was way happier paying for that than when I went to Table X. If Cucina did a similar scope tasting menu it'd be a much better overall experience and probably come out to $80/person without alcohol (vs 100 at Table X).
    Glad you enjoyed it! The owner is a good friend and the chef is one of the most talented in the Wasatch Front in my opinion. It isn’t cheap but totally worth it. They have a great patio in the summer as well.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it! The owner is a good friend and the chef is one of the most talented in the Wasatch Front in my opinion. It isn’t cheap but totally worth it. They have a great patio in the summer as well.

That's awesome. I already intended to go back, but I'll make sure to go in the summer too.

Any recs on middle eastern- specifically shawarma. I’m having wet dreams about the shawarma I had last time i was in yurp and I need that in my life again. Bonus points if they have the garlic sauce

Was riding the chair the other day and this guy was telling me about a middle eastern restaurant with great shawarmas right across the street from the bohemian brewery. Don’t the know the name nor have I been there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Alhambra food truck is pretty good, mazza has a great one but get it to go, place is tiny. I’ve been meaning to try our shanasheel grill, and o’falafel has a bangin tandoori sandwich, haven’t had their schwarma

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I have a craving for barbecue, any recommendations?
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    I have a craving for barbecue, any recommendations?
    Smoke and bones is always my go to, but some mags have recommended a few different places in this thread and they all sound great, too

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Smoke and bones is always my go to, but some mags have recommended a few different places in this thread and they all sound great, too

Looks really good, but hoping for something a little closer than Bountiful, I guess i can dig around in past posts.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Kaiser's kicks ass. I assume Pat's is still decent. North of that I have no idea.

Yeah I like Kaiser's, the red shack on 13th W and 8th S ish.

I went to Over the Cole's which is in a little food hall thing with a taco place and an Italian restaurant.

I would rate it "pretty good" - pretty tasty meats but nothing insane, reasonable bbq-tier prices, sides pretty good. coleslaw was a standout!! Very sweet, great crunch.

Name:  PXL_20230127_005133535.MP.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  196.9 KBName:  PXL_20230127_010320556.MP.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  172.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Kaiser's kicks ass.

Kaisers is a weird place, but in a good way, worth a stop. Plus the have authentic Mexican soft drinks, the kind with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. The BBQ was good, the sausage was excellent. I still haven't found fall off the bone ribs like I'm looking for.

Anyone know what's up with Nohm? Been "temporarily closed" since last summer

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Anyone know what's up with Nohm? Been "temporarily closed" since last summer
    I heard at Water Witch that they were remodeling and ran into some issues with contractors. Hope they reopen soon.

Franklin Ave went out of their way tonight to disguise the fact that they are a bar, right up to us trying to walk in with a baby.

I didn’t see anything up front on their mobile site or Apple Maps about them having a bar license, ‘cocktails and kitchen’, and when I asked if they were a bar or a restaurant I received a disingenuous ‘we serve food’.

I shouldn’t have to be a detective to know if I can exchange money for hospitality.