Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by sgsbet86 View Post
    The Kathmandu on highland is awesome. Nepali/Indian food. My mom lived in both Nepal and India and generally hates going out for this type of food as she thinks most restaurants do a horrible job. She demands to go to the Kathmandu every time she's in town. Everything I've ever got here was great, and it's the only Indian restaurant in SLC that can deliver on really spicy food. Nuan's is great and cheap, no beer sucks. I would pay for it if red iguana allowed reservations, waiting forever really keeps me from going there more often. I like cafe madrid but it's mainly nostalgic as I lived in Spain, realistically food is just above average. Lucky 13 has great burgers at good prices. Siragusas is pretty good, although I have a hard time paying for Italian as it's so easy to cook. Pat's BBQ I'd solid. Shahrazad Market is good middle eastern food and is way off beaten path. Jinya ramen house is a new place that's pretty good. Red rock is definitely best slc brewery for food and beer IMO. If you can figure out the real Chinese menu, Szechuan garden in sandy is a real suprise, their American Chinese is just ok. Lots of good food in PC if you have the bucks. All and all the food scene in slc has improved greatly in the 15 years I've lived here. I used to feel it was a gastronomic black hole, but it gets better every year. BTW I've been a kitchen worker for a while.
    All great recco in this post.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

I concur, that post is pretty spot on.
    My favorite chinese dish in the valley recently disappeared as the hole in the wall joint by the U that made it went under.
    Aristo's by the U on 13th, is good, and so is Indochine there. I've been eating B&D burgers next door since I was in HS, so can't go wrong there in my opinion. Plus the dude who owns it always hooks my kids up with free shakes.

I'm tellin you though, go out to Thai Issan next to Reams on 4700 S and 2700 W. (my office is out there) Best damn Thai food in the valley. Lots of great places to eat tacos out there too. I frequent Porky's on Redwood and 3500 S, and also El Paisa just off 201 and 3200 W. Place is great, and has a killer all you can eat taco buffet on Fridays. Can be crowded. Go there on a Saturday night, and feel like you are in Mexico. The real deal. Good times. International travel without leaving the state.
    sigless.

^ Aristos is great yeah

I dunno, I've been around SLC quite a bit. A lot. And I guess I would say that any meal out I've had that wasn't at the Porcupine I ended up regretting in one way or another.

It's cheap, it's good, they give you a ton of food, just go to the Porcupine.

edit: not for the gourmets obviously

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I'm tellin you though, go out to Thai Issan next to Reams on 4700 S and 2700 W. (my office is out there) Best damn Thai food in the valley. Lots of great places to eat tacos out there too. I frequent Porky's on Redwood and 3500 S, and also El Paisa just off 201 and 3200 W. Place is great, and has a killer all you can eat taco buffet on Fridays. Can be crowded. Go there on a Saturday night, and feel like you are in Mexico. The real deal. Good times. International travel without leaving the state.
    I'll have to check out Issan. On the theme of west side SE Asian fare, Asia Palace has killer pho. We've often been the only white people there. Anaya's market in PC is another "stepping into Mexico" type place.

I haven't been into Anaya there in ages. Used go for lunch all the time like 20 years ago. They still serving food in the back?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I dunno, I've been around SLC quite a bit. A lot. And I guess I would say that any meal out I've had that wasn't at the Porcupine I ended up regretting in one way or another.

It's cheap, it's good, they give you a ton of food, just go to the Porcupine.

edit: not for the gourmets obviously
    Downtown SLC, or just around the canyons? I’m surprised that you would say that if you’d spent considerable time downtown-ish. Tons of good, cheap food options.

Is that Indian place still there in Sandy on 13th east and 100 south? That place was killer.

My favorite places in SLC (been gone for 7 years now): Finn’s in Sugarhouse for brunch, Red Iguana (usually RI2), Kyoto for sushi. Did Vinto end up making it? Cool vibe at that place.

Vinto is gone, it’s HSL now (owned by Handle in Park City)... spendy as hell but delicious

hard to beat Takashi for sushi imo but also spendy

I didn’t find the Porcupine by the U particularly cheap tho. my go-to is Desert Edge, high value proposition grub there

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Downtown SLC, or just around the canyons? I’m surprised that you would say that if you’d spent considerable time downtown-ish. Tons of good, cheap food options.

Is that Indian place still there in Sandy on 13th east and 100 south? That place was killer.

My favorite places in SLC (been gone for 7 years now): Finn’s in Sugarhouse for brunch, Red Iguana (usually RI2), Kyoto for sushi. Did Vinto end up making it? Cool vibe at that place.
    Yeah I gotta get around more. Porcupine is too convenient and I just tend to settle I guess.

Roots Cafe off 33rd is really good for brunch, too lazy to search the thread if it's been mentioned.

Royal India - it's still there. I went there last week with a guy from work who knows the owners, we had a bunch of stuff that wasn't on the menu that was delicious.

+1 on Roots Cafe.

Siegfried's German Deli by the Salt Palace for lunch

Spitz by the Powder House is good, especially if you need to grab something and eat it in the (rental) car.

Dasks and GR Kitchen for Greek.

Alpha Coffee by the Porcupine (owner is bad ass and so is the cof

Taqueria 27 and Caputo's in Holliday.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Yeah I gotta get around more. Porcupine is too convenient and I just tend to settle I guess.
    Let's grab the SFB's and get some grub when your in town.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Vinto is gone, it’s HSL now (owned by Handle in Park City)... spendy as hell but delicious

hard to beat Takashi for sushi imo but also spendy

I didn’t find the Porcupine by the U particularly cheap tho. my go-to is Desert Edge, high value proposition grub there
    Heard good things about Handle. Head chef is my buddy’s brother. Takashi is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I haven't been into Anaya there in ages. Used go for lunch all the time like 20 years ago. They still serving food in the back?

Yep. Tacos come on handmade tortillas.

I asked at handle, about the organic farm rope raised mussels, if the rope was organic. She didn't know, but asked. They couldn't find out. Service these days.

sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Siegfried's German Deli by the Salt Palace for lunch.
    hell yes, Siegfried’s is amazing, huge portions, super good, super cheap, authentically surly. absolutely love it.

Royal India still there as sfotex stated, but has been closed about a week. There was a kitchen fire. Doesn't seem bad and sign says will reopen, but no date. We probably eat there couple times a month. Delicious and inexpensive.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but Feldman's has gotta be one of the best spots in the valley. A little pricey but worth every penny. Hot corned beef on Jewish rye w/mustard + potato salad... mmmmmmm

Also stopped by Chedda Burger on 600S today, which was formerly a food truck. Good stuff there too.

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but Feldman's has gotta be one of the best spots in the valley. A little pricey but worth every penny. Hot corned beef on Jewish rye w/mustard + potato salad... mmmmmmm

Also stopped by Chedda Burger on 600S today, which was formerly a food truck. Good stuff there too.
    Its as close to a true NYC Jewish Deli that I have encountered in Utah for sure.

Jinya on 59S and state for the best ramen in town. Quite authentic according to a friend who grew up in JP.
    Special mention for breakfast at the Porcupine, while I find most of their regular menu uninspiring (outside of the Oktoberfest specials) the big ol' pile of breakfast definitely makes for a nice end to a morning tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Special mention for breakfast at the Porcupine, while I find most of their regular menu uninspiring (outside of the Oktoberfest specials) the big ol' pile of breakfast definitely makes for a nice end to a morning tour.
    Agree on all points.

Should have mentioned that it's even better when combined with a bloody mary... The crux of the affair is to tear yourself away from the hill to make it down on time for their last breakfast call which I believe is at 3PM. I'm going to petition them to keep the breakfast menu all day.

Ate there recently and the place was absolutely horrible. 1 burger and side completely missing from order, other burger like a hockey puck. They nail the toppings, but the burger itself is a disgrace. 2 idiots behind the counter couldn't keep up with 6 orders. Had a Nutella milkshake that had about 4 oz. of hersheys on the bottom.

No crowd, long wait. I could go on. This place way overstepped its food truck roots. 1 star for its whizz tots.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Olympus Burger was pretty good last winter
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Ate there recently and the place was absolutely horrible. 1 burger and side completely missing from order, other burger like a hockey puck. They nail the toppings, but the burger itself is a disgrace. 2 idiots behind the counter couldn't keep up with 6 orders. Had a Nutella milkshake that had about 4 oz. of hersheys on the bottom.

No crowd, long wait. I could go on. This place way overstepped its food truck roots. 1 star for its whizz tots.
    wow, maybe I just got lucky. this was my first pass w/them