Page 38 of 78 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    those kids in spain who put wine and coke in super soakers during Sanfermine.
    Ah, been there done that unfortunately, and then worse. We I was in engineering schools (ChemE) we used to have access to drums of pure ethanol, the clean stuff without the benzene in it, and we'd flavor that with grape juice and, well, you can imagine how classy things got from there.

Are you having similar issues in other more civilized states btw or is it just a UT thing? Way BITD when I had a short stint on the E Coast I was roaming around Philly with my parents. We picked a random decent looking restaurant and they had blue and red Chimays on the menu. I was impressed.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Attachment 341870
    Attachment 341871
    Attachment 341872

fashion fades, but style lasts forever

also - all the bottles i would recommend are incredibly shelf-stable, bottle-conditioned, and only get tastier with time. sure, you gotta have whatever the latest ipa craze is, but don't equate beer hipsters with beer connoisseurs; that would be like putting boissal in the same category of people as those kids in spain who put wine and coke in super soakers during Sanfermine.
    no offense but you’re all beer hipsters. and nothing keeps that long.

(and yes I’ve had those uber rare and oh so fancy euro beers)

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Ah, been there done that unfortunately, and then worse. We I was in engineering schools (ChemE) we used to have access to drums of pure ethanol, the clean stuff without the benzene in it, and we'd flavor that with grape juice and, well, you can imagine how classy things got from there.

Are you having similar issues in other more civilized states btw or is it just a UT thing? Way BITD when I had a short stint on the E Coast I was roaming around Philly with my parents. We picked a random decent looking restaurant and they had blue and red Chimays on the menu. I was impressed.
    honestly i don't know if it's as much of a utah problem as it is an age of restaurateurs; there are a number of restaurants in SLC that have great beer menus (hsl and nomad east both come to mind), but yeah - i've had great luck in austin, seattle, and san francisco with great restaurants having great beer menus.

There are some local Utah breweries doing great things. Templin Family and Saltfire are my favorites when I visit. A list of bombers from Saltfire would not be out of place on any contemporary American menu.

Nomad's was great, although I wish they had the full astronaut juice instead of the junior, even though it was listed as the full.
    SaltFire and Level Crossing have some great stuff, underhyped compared to TF, and better pricing. The Singularity Series from Saltfire has been great and the new Nelson Sauvin is quite nice. TF and Shades always have lines for releases but I've never waited at SF or LC. Fisher was doing some nice stuff on their rotating full strength IPA's this season too. I need to get some fall/harvest beers here soon.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

In addition to BasinBeaters go-to stellar West Valley mexican joints, I'd like to add La Casa Del Tamal. Found way in the back of a swap meet building: it was like walking through Mexico going there.

The place is known for Tacos de Birria con Consome, I had to learn what the hell that was. It says take out only but that's not true and you should eat it it there immediately before it get soggy. Dip it in the stew, order with no cheese, and it needs a ton of salsa and some hot sauce in it before you start eating them. Tamalas are good too supposedly, but I couldn't eat mine, the 4 Birria tacos was really filling.

After 5 work lunches in a row of different taco joints, I'm taking a break. Todays was Los Tapatios near Red Igunana for more Birria. Crispy and soft were both good, crispy was best. Dipping sauce is on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4376.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	342169

/burp

Solid work muted.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

So, I posted this elsewhere, but have you guys observed this? (The no rush hour traffic part, the Moab part is obvious)

We just drove through SLC on I 15 south at 5:00. We expected it to be a bumper to bumper slog...we never once even needed the HOV lane. Averaged like 65 from Sandy to Provo.
    We realized why when we got to Moab...no one is at the office, the entire active population of Denver and SLC are here ‘working remotely’.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, I posted this elsewhere, but have you guys observed this? (The no rush hour traffic part, the Moab part is obvious)

We just drove through SLC on I 15 south at 5:00. We expected it to be a bumper to bumper slog...we never once even needed the HOV lane. Averaged like 65 from Sandy to Provo.
    We realized why when we got to Moab...no one is at the office, the entire active population of Denver and SLC are here ‘working remotely’.
    You came through SLC during an early fall break from school, no school Thurs/Friday of that week. We always forget and schedule our trip during it, too.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Can anyone explain to me how Toasted Barrel is still in business? 4 of the 3 types of beer we bought from them have been hard to drink, luckily they are strong to make up for it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^ I was just trying to remember the name of that place the other day. I’m amazed they have made it. nice enough people but yeah... not my thing. roha is the other beguiling one, everything they make tastes like malt liquor. oh well

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Can anyone explain to me how Toasted Barrel is still in business? 4 of the 3 types of beer we bought from them have been hard to drink, luckily they are strong to make up for it

Strong beer point checks out based on the above math.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Strong beer point checks out based on the above math.
    Strong beer is a dangerous thing in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Strong beer is a dangerous thing in Utah
    Yew been talking to my bishop again?

Sent from a van down by the river
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Late to the party but always enjoy the porcupine pub & grill and tosh’s ramen when I am in SLC. Also not an SLC only spot but can’t go wrong with some in-n-out (from east coast and closest is Texas).

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    roha is the other beguiling one, everything they make tastes like malt liquor. oh well
    this is so true, my god.

toasted barrel - I like what they are trying to do more than I like their beers. their young bruin was a neat concept that ended up tasting like malt vinegar more than anything else. i'm hoping that in a few years they'll have real, old-world sours that are long aged and properly balanced.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

True, I think I've tried one sour a while back that had potential, but these two milkshake fruit IPA's (Lady's favorite) are pretty damned close to being drain pours. Roha at least has one or two cans that (5 years ago) would have been great in SLC.

glad we have a full fridge from CO after last weekend I could drink Odd13 Superfan for the rest of my life and be happy.

True, I think I've tried one sour a while back that had potential, but these two milkshake fruit IPA's (Lady's favorite) are pretty damned close to being drain pours. Roha at least has one or two cans that (5 years ago) would have been great in SLC.

glad we have a full fridge from CO after last weekend I could drink Odd13 Superfan for the rest of my life and be happy.
    This is a very good beer. Did you pick up any New Image Coriolis by any chance?

Naw, couldn't find any New Image in Grand Junction/Fruita. 4 noses, odd 13, eddytime (crankyanker is just a solid IPA), crooked stave was the haul

We did takeout at Settebello a couple of days ago. The last time I was downtown since covid. I had forgotten how great that place is. I had been pretending that Marcos was pizza for the last 7 months.

we’ve been getting delivery from per noi trattoria, their margherita pizza might be the best pizza I’ve had in this barren pizza desert of a town. I order a couple at a time.

red rock and desert edge takeout has been very solid lately too. haven’t ventured beyond the immediate environs much besides via doordash

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

Its also late Oct so every CO and UT resort employee is also in Moab/Fruita, etc
    Been that way for 20+ years

I really didn’t want to post it here to try to keep it a secret but Villagio is the best pizza in slc. (NY style) numerous East coast transplants agree. The owner is straight out of Brooklyn

I really didn’t want to post it here to try to keep it a secret but Villagio is the best pizza in slc. (NY style) numerous East coast transplants agree. The owner is straight out of Brooklyn

was your plan to keep it a secret so that Villagio ends up having to shutter and there isn't any more ny pizza here? )

In all seriousness, thanks for the heads up. It's on our list.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk