Page 33 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

SLC Eats

^ love spitz and oh mai, and haven’t had the others but assume they’re good too. I’m guessing me and tgapp have some overlap in restaurant taste

if you want american style / pub food / whatever, I love red rock and they do take out very well. lot of dinner options though, depending on how far you wanna travel.

the best thing about the porcupine by the U right now is their outdoor patio, faces east so you get shade this time of day, same with red rock. dunno if that’s on the table, but worth thinking about if so.

pure take out in the downtown-ish vicinity my personal nod is red rock / spitz (they’re a chain but a small one and really good) tho. imho ymmv squatters/wasatch does takeout very poorly.

We grabbed Indochine takeout. Haven't opened it yet.

Place to grab lunch for the road for tomorrow.

Thanks to you SLC mags we are eating like kings. Every meal has been fantastic. You guys kick ass. Thanks.

spitz eats well in the car. if you are ideologically compatible with vegan, buds sandwiches are top notch imo, and nearby. grove market (not sure about their covid open status) also does great sandwiches. if you wanna go swanky, get the hot pastrami at caputos at 15th/15th, or anything from feldmans, but prepare to pull over to eat...

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    spitz eats well in the car. if you are ideologically compatible with vegan, buds sandwiches are top notch imo, and nearby. grove market (not sure about their covid open status) also does great sandwiches. if you wanna go swanky, get the hot pastrami at caputos at 15th/15th, or anything from feldmans, but prepare to pull over to eat...
    ^^can't agree more with every single one of these. Grove and Bud's are the best sandwiches in SLC. Vegan or not, bud's kicks ass.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Groves is just a big deli sandwich. Tastes great, but it's a just a big deli sandwich. And yes they are open. Never heard of buds, I will check them out soon.

Caputos and Feldmans are both gourmet delicious shit and a big step up from Groves. The sloppy Jo from Feldmans is the best sandwich in the valley IMO, and I've had very few here, ha. I crave it though.

If your heading south, the Philadelphian in Sandy makes a mean hot mixed meat and philly. The bahn mi’s from oh mai are great as others have said, spitz is a go to regularly for this house. Sadly, one thing I personally think slc is missing is a good sub shop, think local New England through PA style. Caputos is great but I want a banging Italian with good provalone. Este Deli(first location) was that for me but sadly, they are no more.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Groves is just a big deli sandwich. Tastes great, but it's a just a big deli sandwich. And yes they are open. Never heard of buds, I will check them out soon.

Caputos and Feldmans are both gourmet delicious shit and a big step up from Groves. The sloppy Jo from Feldmans is the best sandwich in the valley IMO, and I've had very few here, ha. I crave it though.

just a big deli sandwich - those are fighting words!!

i love caputo's and feldman's too, but those are different classes of sandwich. i think feldman's is a solid step up in ambience, price, and quality, and caputo's is great, but a bit more modest in proportions. also - slc pro-tip - always shop for discount chocolate at caputos. it's the best.

love all the philly recs, i need to go check some of those out.

SLC Eats

I’m clearly going to have to stay longer. Or come back soon. Or both.

Big fan of grove deli. A half sub from there is two meals. Super long lines at lunch though...

What Utardland needs is a supermarket subshop like Publix custom subs. Harmons could pull it off but dont.

Drove by Sauce boss in draper the other day and it may be closed? Bummer

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Groves is just a big deli sandwich. Tastes great, but it's a just a big deli sandwich.
    yeah I'm with you here, but if you're in the mood for a big deli sandwich, they're pretty damn good

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    What Utardland needs is a supermarket subshop like Publix custom subs. Harmons could pull it off but dont.
    Wegmans in the northeast also does this extremely well. otoh I got a deli sub at a Smiths here once and Never Again™

I finally ordered Cool Bros pizza, got the paneer tikka masala pizza and one other... not as gourmet as I perhaps naively hoping, but I'd get it again.

SLC Eats

Gonna try Caputos. Will post TR

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Gonna try Caputos. Will post TR
    dude seriously caputo's has the very best bean to bar chocolate selection in the entire US. they win awards for their curation of ultra high end chocolate every year. they get so much that inevitably some ends up on the discount rack, and at 50% off, it's the best deal on chocolate anywhere.

if you go get a sandwich from caputos definitely swing by the chocolate/discount rack and snag some stuff. treat yo'self.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    dude seriously caputo's has the very best bean to bar chocolate selection in the entire US. they win awards for their curation of ultra high end chocolate every year. they get so much that inevitably some ends up on the discount rack, and at 50% off, it's the best deal on chocolate anywhere.

if you go get a sandwich from caputos definitely swing by the chocolate/discount rack and snag some stuff. treat yo'self.
    I mean, you had me at discount chocolate.

I did not know this. I really need to go downtown more.

What I'm eating right now from Feldmans:

Name:  feldmans-deli-sloppy-joe.png
Views: 269
Size:  691.5 KB

god damn I am jealous. hell yes.

fuck i want this. super jealous.

Porcupine has lost it's shine since the year 2000. I didn't know they expanded beyond the BCC location.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    If your heading south, the Philadelphian in Sandy makes a mean hot mixed meat and philly.
    My memories of the Philadelphian begin and end with a slice of onion hanging off the bathroom door handle at 4am the following morning.

Moochies never forced me to refund a sandwich. Plus, the jalapeno sauce is the shit.

yeah I must say the moochies on 8th south anyway is pretty solid. but nothing else is gonna scratch that Feldman's itch

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    yeah I must say the moochies on 8th south anyway is pretty solid. but nothing else is gonna scratch that Feldman's itch
    no comparison
    rye vs white

Caputo's was ridiculous. Highly recommend.

Also, tgapp was not lying about the 50% off chocolate. Did not expect it to be quite so literal, but it's a whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Caputo's was ridiculous. Highly recommend.

Also, tgapp was not lying about the 50% off chocolate. Did not expect it to be quite so literal, but it's a whole thing.

^^ it's fucking legit. and high end chocolate is pretty unreal. they have the very best chocolate in the entire world at caputo's - a ton of which comes out of utah, which isn't surprising given the states high % of mormons who can't get their epicurean on with coffee/whiskey/wine/tea like the rest of us savages do. would highly recommend ritual chocolate (out of PC, utah), along with Solstice and friis holm - ONLY on the discount rack though.

Oh Feldman's I think you and I are gonna be friends.

This thread delivers

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Man! I miss Feldmans. The Sloppy Joe is hands down the best sandwich I have had anywhere, ever. And that’s a bold mother fuckin statement.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

^^ it's fucking legit. and high end chocolate is pretty unreal. they have the very best chocolate in the entire world at caputo's - a ton of which comes out of utah, which isn't surprising given the states high % of mormons who can't get their epicurean on with coffee/whiskey/wine/tea like the rest of us savages do. would highly recommend ritual chocolate (out of PC, utah), along with Solstice and friis holm - ONLY on the discount rack though.
    +1e12 on the chocolate there, they have some outlandish stuff that can really open your horizons.
    For anything else though, fook them. You can't walk in there for a piece of cheese or ham without talking to the bank for a loan first. I get that the US has weirdly idiotic import laws for dairy and meats but I wish we'd get out of the middle ages on that front...
    I throw an annual raclette party with a bunch of hungry friends and Caputo's the only place to source the right kinds of meats (raclette cheese can even be found at Target these days). It's always a $300 bill and I have to endure lectures for the resident mustachioed hipster who's "read a lot" about pairing cheeses and cured meats and insists that I'm buying all the wrong things for a traditional raclette. Then I ask him for pearl onions and gherkins and I get a blank stare... One of them had the audacity to ask which red wine we'd be drinking that night. Go back to grooming your beeswaxed moustache Donnie, you're out of your element.