Page 2 of 78 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    LeCaille in Sandy . . .
    Sorry i am not x2ing this one...not a fan at all..maybe things changed with new management, but i know way too much stuff about the kitchen staff there...oofah..NO THANK YOU

Lucky 13 makes a mean burger.

My newest fave, which is really my current favorite restaurant (casual) in the US ( but I don't get out much) is a Peruvian joint, Del Mar Al Lago.
    Mind blowing sushi grade Cebicheria, with just an outstanding selection of other dishes.
    A gem, pure and simple.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/del-mar-al-l...salt-lake-city

Tin Angel
    Copper Onion
    Fridas Bistro- hit granary row after for drinks in the beer garden
    Martine Cafe
    Cucina Toscana

The last place I got food poisoning was at the bayou

Thanks for all the great recs. I may have been slightly inebriated when I posted the thread so forgive the search fail.

Is there one place that a foodie should not miss at any costs?

Also, anything going on this weekend in SLC or Park City that's worth hitting up?

Thanks again all!

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Boston Mills Skier

tell me when you'll be at Porcupine Pub. Like to tip back a few pints with you.

a former Boston Mills Brandywine skier from 1979-1995 now living in Cottonwood Heights.

CAT
    PM sent.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Thanks again all!

I dun tol' you arreddy. You WILL thank me.

"Del Mar Al Lago
    The Best SLC Restaurant
    You've Never Been To
    NOVEMBER 9, 2012

By Ted Scheffler
    PHOTO BY TED SCHEFFLER // A fresh Peruvian feast

Every now and then, I happen upon a restaurant that I like so much it makes me giddy to share with City Weekly readers. Del Mar al Lago is one of them. Quite simply, this is the best Salt Lake City restaurant you’ve probably never been to. If you haven’t eaten there, you should stop reading. Now. Get in the car and go. It’s that good. Although I can’t really take credit for discovering it. It was enthusiastically recommended to me by one of Utah’s most talented and creative chefs, a guy who lived for a number of years in Peru.

I had to sit on reviewing this restaurant for a while; just as I was about to do so, they closed for an expansion. So, this review is based on the pre-expansion Del Mar al Lago. Since my visits, they’ve added a cebiche counter, increased the size of the restaurant and added a full bar with wine, beer and liquor. You can now get an authentic Pisco sour at this Peruvian gem.

Frankly, my attitude toward Peruvian cooking used to be meh—too many potatoes and bland flavors. Well, I’ve had an attitude adjustment, thanks to Del Mar al Lago. As was explained to me at the restaurant by a very knowledgeable server named Guillermo, Peruvian cuisine is really a combination of three regional cuisines: highland, midland and coastal. And it’s a fusion of flavors, with influences ranging from the Incas, the Moors, Spaniards and their African slaves, to France, China and Japan. It’s truly melting-pot cuisine.

At Del Mar al Lago, there’s a wide range of Peruvian flavors represented, from cebiche (aka ceviche)—Peru’s gift to seafood lovers worldwide—to classic dishes like lomo saltado, causas, tacu tacu, sopas and much more. The menu is extensive. It’s also very reasonably priced. You can eat until you can’t move, on the cheap. Portions are large, and I recommend sharing with friends, as we did on our visits. I was lucky to share meals at Del Mar al Lago with a couple of well-known chefs, both of whom were as impressed by the food, service and presentations as I was.

I recommend starting with cebiche. The great Chef Eric Ripert says, “Cebiche requires perfect quality ingredients, very precise and fast execution, as well as a perfect understanding of the spices and acidity.” Well, I can’t imagine cebiche any more perfect than at Del Mar al Lago. The fish used there—including 100 percent sustainable Alaskan halibut or grouper—is incredibly fresh and of the highest quality."

http://www.delmarallago.com/reviews.html
    Last edited by rideit; 08-14-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Cafe Trio is your go-to place for contemporary Italian. You may have places you prefer back in Cincy, but if you want to chow down on some carbs and a nice glass of wine, it does the job well.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/caf%C3%A9-trio-salt-lake-city-3

Another vote for Red Iguana. No brainer.
    Chanon Thai Cafe is pretty good too.
    I must seek out this peruvian joint rideit is talking about.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    My newest fave, which is really my current favorite restaurant (casual) in the US ( but I don't get out much) is a Peruvian joint, Del Mar Al Lago.
    Mind blowing sushi grade Cebicheria, with just an outstanding selection of other dishes.
    A gem, pure and simple.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/del-mar-al-l...salt-lake-city
    Have to second this the cebiche and paella are beyond amazing. By far the best seafood in Salt Lake.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

The two best meals I've had in SLC in the past year were at Frida Bistro. Great margs too. It's like foodie-Mexican.

Finca is not to be missed. Small plates, so many delicious things to choose from.

Takashi is great sushi, but every city has one good sushi place. Always a huuudge wait. I'm pretty sure the chef at tsunami uses a dull bread knife.

Eggs in the City or Roots cafe for good breakfasts. Blue Plate has jumped the shark.

Copper Onion is great. It's a lot of that hip, fancy-comfort food. Not light, but delicious.

Plum Alley is great Asian-influence food.

The Avenues Proper is a new spot up in.... wait for it....the Avenues. Lots of good small plates, nice vibe. Good beer.

BarX for some delicious mixology.

The Beerhive is a great spot for drinks, great beer list.

If the Bees are in town and you like baseball, it's probably the most scenic ballpark ever. Good AAA ball, nice slice of SLC and a great excuse to eat/drink at Lucky13
    Last edited by flowtron's ghost; 03-28-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Eggs in the City or Roots cafe for good breakfasts. Blue Plate has jumped the shark.
    That makes me sad, that place was a gem. Too crowded? Food quality? I blame Gay Fieri.

It's been 4 years since I left, so I really shouldn't even be posting in this thread.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    That makes me sad, that place was a gem. Too crowded? Food quality? I blame Gay Fieri.

It's been 4 years since I left, so I really shouldn't even be posting in this thread.
    I never liked blue plate.....thats just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Thanks for all the great recs. I may have been slightly inebriated when I posted the thread so forgive the search fail.

Also, anything going on this weekend in SLC or Park City that's worth hitting up?

Thanks again all!

PM sent.

i've heard Forage is pretty interesting. never been (on list but pricey) but have friends who have and say its damn good.
    http://www.foragerestaurant.com/
    SLC Beerfest is this wknd if you're lookin for same day drinkin.

Forage did come up in places I might be interested in. I'll have to see what their current tasting menu looks like.

Beer festival? Alright!

Thanks all!

So?
    Where didya eat?

The weekend didn't turn out as I had originally planned. My wife picked me up at the airport on Friday and said we had to head up to the St. Regis in Deer Valley to meet the fam and would be staying up there all weekend. We didn't know why at the time but as we came to find out it was to have everyone together for my (future) brother-in-law to propose to my youngest sister.

So we grabbed an early dinner at Red Iguana before heading up to PC. I love mole and damn did this place deliver! Went with a split between the Negro and Poblano. Also had half a banh mi that my wife picked up earlier from Oh Mai and that was pretty effin good too!

Did dinner at the Waldorf Astoria later that night, and Stein Eriksen Lodge Saturday - both were great - with a late night bite at Silver in town - nice bites there. Other than that just enjoyed the room at the St Regis and ordered a lot of room service to go with the crapton of champagne we were drinking.

My wife stayed in town for the week on business and is slated to go to Del Mar al Lago tomorrow night with some coworkers. Have to say I'm pretty jealous from what I saw online.

I'm headed back in November and will be in SLC the full time so I'm keeping this thread close, and making up for lost opportunites. That and I have to hook up with F*#k You Cat for some beers at the Porcupine.

Looking forward to it! Thanks all for the great recs

I sent RideIt a PM thanking him, don't miss Del mar al lago. Saw it in this thread, suggested to the gf we go sometime, her birthday was last friday, she picked me up after a long week working in PDX and we went right there, we had 2 of the civeche samplers and holy shit amazing. I love seafood, having grown up in eastern MA we always had good fish, this place was spectacular. Huge portion warning!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Nice!
    I want this place to become an establishment. They just plain 'get it'.
    Glad you enjoyed, and thanks for the note!

SLC blather

travelling with a 6 year old changes things.
    No indian, no curry, no Peruvian, etc...
    But there is an upside!
    I found a Mexi joint with possibly the HUGEST portions I have ever seen at one of these 24 hr. type joints.
    (El Rancharito, S. State)
    I had an Adobada plate for $7.00 that could have fed three, easily. huge pile of great food!
    Ben's Quesadilla had to have been 18".
    recommend!

The breakfast joint in the Little America is outstanding. Not the cheapest (pretty average prices, actually) with GREAT service, and massive portions. Worth a drop in.

The Pie Hole: Massive slices for CHEEEEP.
    try the Potato/Bacon,as long as we arent being NYC slice purists. all good. did I mention cheap?
    and the sleeper:

fresh ass batter and deep fried, fresh squeezed lemonade, and better fries than McD's.
    Great kid activity combined with a few hours at the Children's Discovery Center.

Now off to find some real, freshly battered and fried chicken tenders.
    Next stop, Moab
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Nice work, the Pie Hole is a fast lunch fave. Next time hit up Penny Ann's for breakfast. The pancakes and the breakfast nachos are amazing.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    SLC blather
    travelling with a 6 year old changes things.
    No indian, no curry, no Peruvian, etc...
    Never understood this. We introduced our kid to all types of cuisines since he could chew solid food. Thurs night is dine out night in our house and it was his choice; he chose an Indian restaurant.

^Ditto... our little one always requests Indian, which is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Nice work, the Pie Hole is a fast lunch fave. Next time hit up Penny Ann's for breakfast. The pancakes and the breakfast nachos are amazing.
    This man knows his fine dining establishments... I've seen pictures!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

+1 on the Pie Hole, tasty pizza, hip atmosphere, and last time I was there I got into a lengthy conversation about atmospheric black metal

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Never understood this. We introduced our kid to all types of cuisines since he could chew solid food. Thurs night is dine out night in our house and it was his choice; he chose an Indian restaurant.
    Kid loves Tom Kha Thai, Laarb, Lo mein, Sushi, udon noodle dishes...
    He just hates Indian and any sort of red sauce.
    He knows what he likes, I guess.
    It changes every few weeks....
    The only reason we didn't do Peruvian is that it costs $15.00 to find out if that's up his alley today...

OK, something NEW in Moab.
    Holy crap, it's good.
    http://www.aristosmediterranean.com/CookBook.html

Aristo's has deeper SLC roots, and is $$ or even $$$, so not your typical dirbag Moab joint (although I love those too!!)
    Try the Octopus.
    This just opened on the 14th, but here are Yelp reviews of their SLC location (s)
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/aristos-gree...lt-lake-city-2