Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tele q

Tele q

Is it possible to stuff an alpine boot in a cable telemark binding? I realize the heel(heal for the imperial) piece is a bit different, but for uphill ONLY would it work?

I've stuffed my old Salomon hikers into a pair of R8s to get from the ski shop to the rental shop down a small hill.
    It worked. Not very well, but it worked.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I've stuffed my old Salomon hikers into a pair of R8s to get from the ski shop to the rental shop down a small hill.
    It worked. Not very well, but it worked.
    I put snowboard bindings on my skis for that. Great control even with sneakers.

I can't imagine why you would want to do this.

Somewhat inspired by the SI&I project, AT bindings and other projects that modify alpine boots to work with dyna toes.

I haven't really looked at tele bindings close, but I was wondering if tele bindings could provide a solution for climbing. At the top the tele binding could be switched for the downhill toe. If it works it would require least amount of modifications, and give reliable and solid performance.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Won't work. Tele binding toes (75 mm) are different than iso din alpine toes plus without bellows, the tele binding won't allow the boot to raise off the ski in a stride even if you could "jam it in". An NTN boot might fit in a cable binding but it's not designed to and would probably wear poorly over a few tours.

Not trying to be a dick but your concept is incorporating the worst aspects of each system into a terrible idea.

Think the opposite of the Thunder Cats.

You need to be more specific when saying "tele bindings". Most tele bindings won't allow what you seek, except in touring mode but it seems way beyond over-kill to somehow rig a swapable tele toe piece (which generally is the entire binding), carrying an alpine toe piece along for the down hill, when there's perfectly good Alpine touring bindings already available. ......unless I'm not understandng the question?

Maybe he wants to retrofit bellows into an alpine boot like some guys are doing with Dynafit fittings. Sounds like something Charlie Sheen would dream up.

There are no perfectly good Alpine touring bindings. They all have some kind of issues. Not saying they are bad. Seems like the SI&I is overkill too. Two toes, plate, inserts... etc, but it still has lots of interest.

I realize most CABLE tele bindings wont work since the alpine boot does not have bellows but I saw a few bindings that have a pivoting toe plate. Here is one:

Is this what you are interested in, Tele Tech?

Yes, a free pivot toe. I like the entrepreneurial spirit but do a little research on the weights of bindings, how they work, and what each is good at and I think you will see your idea won't go too far.

A tele with touring walk-mode would eliminate the need for bellows... but jamming the smaller alpine toe into a tele binding sounds rough

I don't think it would be too hard to tear apart a tele toe piece and fab it to fit an ISO toe... but why.. Seems like a fun project if you were bored, not really something for mass production.

Well:

My peak 15: 2140G

MFD: 1199G + bindings

Tyrolia Adrenalin: 2620G

Duke EPF: 2780G

Guardian: 2960G

G3 Targa Ascent S/S: 1344G

SI&I: Bindings + dynafit toes(weight?) + plates(weight?)

Except for SI&I, my idea leave the ski lighter than the AT bindings. Weight is in the pack while going up. Ice-up and snapped AT bindings would not be an issue.

The reason I am looking into this is because I have very weird feet. Lange RS boots feel like buckets on my low instep feet. Downsized salomon ghosts, with lifter insole and zipfits are the only boots that fit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    ^ Right?

As for the toe, I will have to find some tele bindings to look at.

SI&I with Dynafits is going to beat any tele binding of the same concept with plates in the weight department. If you have the skills to mill and bend metal, you might be able to rob the free pivot. Or, instead of a G3 Targa, put a Silvretta 500 or Fritschi Explore on a plate and you will have a light free pivot that can work with alpine boots. It would be 2-4 oz more probably but by the time you fab a tele binding to fit an alpine boot, you are going to add that weight back on.

But then, if you had the fab skills, you would already have made your concept if it were a good idea because it would work.

Another question, if you are worried about a couple ounces weight savings, why tour in alpine boots. It's all about the down, right? Just go buy some trekkers.

I never skied the Fritschi. Generally reviews are not that positive. I might as well stick with AT.
    Trekkers? Really? Less reliable than any of the AT bindings out there.

Maybe I just need to go back far enough before there were any standards.

I'm not recommending skiing on Fritschis. I'm recommending that if you are going with a plate concept and trying to adapt a 75 mm tele binding to fit an alpine boot, you would be just as well off using a plate system with a Fritschi with only touring in the Fritschi and then swapping.

Seems like a silly way to go either way but I would love to be proven wrong.

i will recommend skiing on a fritschi, got like 7-800 days on em.
    b

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I can't imagine why you would want to do this.
    ^^^ +1 ^^^
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by daught View Post
    I haven't really looked at tele bindings close. . . .
    Yeah, we know that.

There are no perfectly good Alpine touring bindings.
    Well, actually, all my Dynafit bindings are indeed perfectly good.

They [AT bindings] all have some kind of issues.
    Tele bindings have even bigger issues.

my idea leave the ski lighter than the AT bindings.
    Huh? The lightest tele bindings weigh more than lightest AT bindings. So how is adding a heavier tele binding going to make a lighter binding lighter?

Sorry, dude. Not hating. Just not getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i will recommend skiing on a fritschi, got like 7-800 days on em.
    b
    this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^fritschis are great all round for reliable consistent up/down skiing. simple.

rog
    Last edited by icelanticskier; 08-19-2013 at 06:15 PM.

I was confused to begin with but then people started recommending Fritchis for their reliability. Now I'm really fucking confused.

Pretty much any AT binding is better than tele.