Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    As SRAM launches a new 1x12 drivetrain....
    I thought you were joking, but no --

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/first-lo...uDzzkmBW3AY.97
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I thought you were joking, but no --

http://www.bikemag.com/gear/first-lo...uDzzkmBW3AY.97

Makes XTR look affordable.

Pinkbike's comment section always delivers:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-ea...ride-2016.html

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    So, I got my hands on both the E-13 40t ring ($51 shipped) and 11t 11spd cog ($9 shipped). The 11t is a bit narrower than the 11t 9spd cog, a fraction of a mm, with narrower teeth. I ground down the rivets on the back of the cassette to clear the 40t cog and mounted everything up. Works pretty well! Need to add chain. Currently when shifting 7 to 8, the derailleur cage nicks the 40t cog, but with more chain the derailleur should hang a bit lower and clear no problem. 11t to 14t is not a particularly clean shift, but normally when coming out of the 11t, I'm going up 2 or 3 gears.

The spacing on the 40t and 11t are definitely off, but it doesn't really matter much since the derailleur position in the top and bottom cogs can be partly controlled by the limit screws. The 11t cog is spaced way out (like +.85mm vs. 9spd spacing) due to the lack of recess in the 14t cog, but shifts fine - I will still probably grind it down about a half mm. The 40t is spaced pretty tight, definitely 10spd spacing or even a bit narrower, however the cog itself is .2mm wider - I may make up a shim from an aluminum can to space it out about .2mm.

It should be noted that I'm using a 10-speed chain, the ultra high quality CN-7901 dura-ace chain with the hollow pins and links. I bought a few of these as they were being phased out. They shift great on 8spd or 9spd, are super light, and have been tested to be very long wearing.

The big cog looks stupid, IMHO, but hey it seems to work. I'm probably going to eventually go to a 32t oval chainring and 165mm cranks, from my current 175mm / 30t setup.
    Just a follow up, I ended up making a rough .18mm spacer from a tuna fish can for the 40t, and ground down the 11t built in spacer by about .2mm. Had to get the chain length right and reverse the b-tension screw and also get that just right. Cleaner shift into the 40t, and visually the spacing difference is less noticeable. Works pretty well. Shifting on the 14t is a bit rough occasionally, and the 14t to 11t ratio jump is very large. But I only use these gears on the road, riding to trails.

Isn't this thread getting a little obsolete?
    With the new low cost 11sp systems, is there really any point to cobbling together a 1x10?
    Sram NX Der = $74
    Sram NX Shifter = $27
    Shim XT 11-42 Cassette = $90
    Total = $191
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    With the new low cost 11sp systems, is there really any point to cobbling together a 1x10?
    Sram NX Der = $74
    Sram NX Shifter = $27
    Total = $191
    Dude. We are talking Tunafish Can™ technology here!

Damian just really, really wanted the world's only 11-40 9-speed cassette. It may have taken hours to jerry-rig together, the functionality is mediocre and it cost almost as much as a full upgrade to 10sp/11sp, but it's the only one in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Damian just really, really wanted the world's only 11-40 9-speed cassette. It may have taken hours to jerry-rig together, the functionality is mediocre and it cost almost as much as a full upgrade to 10sp/11sp, but it's the only one in the world!
    NO NO NO The bike industry is doing it all wrong. Everyone should have 9sp cassettes, 10 & 11 speed is a scam for morons. I've got fking awesome skilz and you're a MORON.

I am kind of pissed that the shimano cassette can't be backpedaled in the two largest cogs. That's annoying.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I could have gone full XT or XTR 11 speed, but what I did only cost $60 and is 1/3 lb lighter than full XT. It works fine. 11-speed is already obsolete anyway.

You're gonna die.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Sram NX Der = $74
    Sram NX Shifter = $27
    Total = $191
    11sp SLX coming in June.

11sp SLX coming in June.
    This is in no way in support of Damien, but until Shimano can get the 11sp working more flawlessly, I'd rather they just drop an 11-40T or 11-42T 10sp SLX cassette that works as well as current 10 speed.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    the 11sp working more flawlessly,
    You just described the SRAM 11sp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I know you've mentioned it before...but what is the setup on the bike that is dropping on the back pedal? What chain? Frame?
    I was back-pedaling my 40t xtr stuff yesterday with no drop. Will measure chain line when I get home.