Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Poor man's XX1 - max cog size and cage length

I just got a Raceface narrow/wide 30t chainring and I'm now trying to figure out what to do for a cassette. My rear derailleur is XT Shadow+ medium cage and I'm looking at those Leonardi General Lee cog sets.

They specify that the 11-40 cassette will work with medium cage but that a long cage is recommended for the 11-42. Is there any reason the medium cage wouldn't work with the 42t cog?

- 11-42 has a 31 tooth difference. On my old 2x10 setup, the system needed to accommodate a 39 tooth spread between largest and smallest possible combinations ((36-22)+(36-11)), which worked fine with my medium cage mech.

- The b-limit screw should be the same on med and long cage mechs, so both should be the same in the largest cog they can accommodate.

So given that the 11-40 is said to work with a medium cage, shouldn't the 11-42 work as well?

I can't find anything first-hand that has tested this combo.

I'd just stick with 11-36 and go with a 32t ring, never went back when I got this

Not sure if you need the longer cage though on this one

Seems some more info on PinkBike
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/General...Look-2013.html
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

We ride straight up and straight down here on the Coast, and both are technical.
    Quote Originally Posted by StopMakingSense View Post
    I'd just stick with 11-36 and go with a 32t ring, never went back when I got this
    So your advice of 32-36 does does not work.

Yes a SRAM mid cage will work, I have seen it first hand.
    D.H.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Yes a SRAM mid cage will work, I have seen it first hand.
    D.H.
    Just to confirm what you've seen firsthand, SRAM mid-cage with an 11-42 cassette?

And yes, 32-36 will not do.

For what it's worth, I ride a 30t with 11-36 in Squamish and Whistler (not bike park) and it works well for me. I'm probably the least fit among the group of people I ride with and I do fine on the long sustained ups and the technical ups but was worried before I tried it. In fact I do better on the technical ups because before with 2x10 I'd spin out often being in too low a gear.

30t x 11-36 might work fine for you...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jacolac View Post
    For what it's worth, I ride a 30t with 11-36 in Squamish and Whistler (not bike park) and it works well for me. I'm probably the least fit among the group of people I ride with and I do fine on the long sustained ups and the technical ups but was worried before I tried it. In fact I do better on the technical ups because before with 2x10 I'd spin out often being in too low a gear.

I was running my 30t with 11-36 this weekend and nearly busted a gut climbing the top of Stonebridge to the Flank. I agree for most "normal" climbs it should be okay (no issues doing the Legacy Climb in Squampton) but a lower gear would be nice for when it gets real steep.

If you haven't tried it for very long, maybe try it a bit longer before changing cassettes. It does make you stronger quite fast. Although there is stuff around here I definitely can't clean with 30x11-36, I'd probably be walking it with 2x10 anyway.

You might just have to be the guinea pig on the 11-42 cassette. Good luck, hope it works. Report back.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Just to confirm what you've seen firsthand, SRAM mid-cage with an 11-42 cassette?
    Yes a General Lee with a SRAM T2 Mid cage with a 30t up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Yes a General Lee with a SRAM T2 Mid cage with a 30t up front.
    Sounds like you saw the 11-40. I don't believe they make an 11-42 General Lee for SRAM - unless they were running a Shimano cassette.

x2. 30T and 11-36 is working just fine for me on Sea to Sky. the first few steep or long climbs kinda hurt without a granny but as I got stronger it got easier and easier. save your cash and forget about the General Lee cogs.

Whats your crank? bcd? spiderless? You might be able to run a 28T with an 11-36 - A LOT cheaper than buying the general lee and a new derailleur. You gain some low end but you don't loose as much top end as you would imagine, plus how often are you pedaling downhill on asphalt on a mtb?

I went from a 28t x9 to a 30t x10 on my last build. I might go to a 28t x10 on the next build with one of these: http://www.wolftoothcycling.com/prod...ram-gxp-cranks
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    I was running my 30t with 11-36 this weekend and nearly busted a gut climbing the top of Stonebridge to the Flank. I agree for most "normal" climbs it should be okay (no issues doing the Legacy Climb in Squampton) but a lower gear would be nice for when it gets real steep.
    I would say do it for at least a couple weeks, even a month and you'll get used to it. I run 32X11-36 and I like it better than having a granny. I can't really compare my local riding to yours but I spend a fair amount of time on boarderline and hike-a-bike climbs and it makes no difference in how much I walk on any given hill because by the time it's too steep to pedal it's too steep to ride. Also, like someone said above, I'm better on the techy climbing because I don't spin out as much. Sometimes it hurts but at the end of the day I'm no more tired, in fact I think I feel better.

Not sure how valid this is but I also read a study recently that showed a correlation between percentage of VO2 max used and foot velocity at a given wattage. They drew two conclusions from this, 1. that shorter crank arms, and 2. that bigger gears were more efficient. This is pretty nerdy and the subjects were world class roadies but it makes you think and I feel like it bears out in my personal experience.

YMMV but I'd give it a bit more time and see if you get used to it.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

having ridden 32/11-36 for the past 2 seasons, and xx1 34/10-42 all this season, i would offer a few things:

1. 34/40 or 32/38 would be an ideal gear for me in utah. i drop into the 42, and its nice as a bail-out and soft pedal/high rev gearing, but i don't think its needed per-se here. in colorado where you often ride 2000-3000 feet higher in elevation, and the trails tend to be much steeper, i would want 32/42 all day long. no idea how that correlates to van/squamish/whistler trail riding.

2. i feel with a wide/narrow chainring, you still want at least a bottom component of the guide with a sram type2 derailleur. so realistically, you would want a full guide regardless, on a 6" trail bike. if you are running a shadow+ derailleur with a wide/narrow CR, then you probably don't need a guide.

i think my ideal poor-man's xx1 setup would be:
    sram crank arms
    32t AND 30t wide-narrow MRP bling ring to switch for different rides/times of season.
    shimano ZEE rear derailleur
    shimano ZEE rear shifter
    shimano SLX 11-36 cassette and chain
    no guide

you would pretty much have it all covered that way. maybe screw around with a 38 or 40t rear cog for the cassette, but TBD if those solutions are actually dialed and ride right.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    32t AND 30t wide-narrow MRP bling ring to switch for different rides/times of season.
    I don't think MRP is making any wide-narrow bling rings yet?

The bike I'm riding the most up in Whistler (for xc) is 32 front and 11-36 rear. This setup was perfectly capable back in UT but I'm really wishing I had also brought a 28t up here with me, maybe the taller gears on an XX1 cassette would help too. Some of the access road climbs are stupid steep. I don't think there's any way you could get away without a lower bash up here either, so far my MRP AMG has taken a beating.

If the 36 isn't tall enough for you on the N.Shore/Whistler, and it wouldn't be for me either, given your RD I would go with the general lee 40. It is what they recommend after all. The difference between the 36 and 40 is definitely enough difference that it will hurt less climbing the Flank. Are those 2 (40 vs 42) extra cogs going to be the difference between walking and riding? Probably not, but the 4 (36 to 40) very well could be.

I am waiting it out this year, riding my 3x9 into the ground and seeing what Shimano brings over the winter. I have a feeling its coming and its going to be awesome.

Looking at the ratios I can't see myself going below a 30x40 around here. Those 2nd-3rd Flank laps hurt enough as it is in 24x34.

i think my ideal poor-man's xx1 setup would be:
    sram crank arms
    shimano ZEE rear derailleur
    shimano ZEE rear shifter
    shimano SLX 11-36 cassette and chain
    no guide
    Agreed.

They have an XO1 for 2014, I am guessing we will see something from shimano is 2015....

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

even cheaper then the GL stuff.
    http://myworld.ebay.com/mtbtools?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I've been using a 39? tooth ring with good results on a 9 speed system

1. 34/40 or 32/38 would be an ideal gear for me in utah. i drop into the 42, and its nice as a bail-out and soft pedal/high rev gearing, but i don't think its needed per-se here. in colorado where you often ride 2000-3000 feet higher in elevation, and the trails tend to be much steeper, i would want 32/42 all day long. no idea how that correlates to van/squamish/whistler trail riding.
    Why sugar coat it? Ut and CO riding is paved dirt roads compared to what we have here uphill and downhill. If i was falling asleep on UT and CO "trails" i too could get by with that gearing

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    x2. 30T and 11-36 is working just fine for me on Sea to Sky. the first few steep or long climbs kinda hurt without a granny but as I got stronger it got easier and easier. save your cash and forget about the General Lee cogs.
    You are basically a weekend warrior and your after work rides are an hour of quickies then an hour of posing at the coffee shop with gelato so of course your gearing works. Did you colour coordinate your shifter housng?

I want your doctor or your selective memory.

Lee ---- sitting back and waiting for the hatemail

I want a 1 pound Hammerschmidt...or Rohloff...that works.
    Last edited by rideit; 08-09-2013 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Why sugar coat it? Ut and CO riding is paved dirt roads compared to what we have here uphill and downhill. If i was falling asleep on UT and CO "trails" i too could get by with that gearing

You are basically a weekend warrior and your after work rides are an hour of quickies then an hour of posing at the coffee shop with gelato so of course your gearing works. Did you colour coordinate your shifter housng?

I want your doctor or your selective memory.

Wow. Maybe you should try decaf Lee.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Unfortunately there's a lot of truth in this statement.

Yes...because Ut and Co had widespread and extensive mining. There never were no narrow gague Railroads up here in the titties,either...the trails were built by game, injuns, hunters, or CCC crews until the last ten years or so....
    As a result, fat ol' me can run out of 22/36 gearing pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Wow. Maybe you should try decaf Lee.
    Tahoe right? I forgot to insult Tahoe. Let me come up with something.

Relax everyone. The overlying issue here behind Lee's butthurt is that he's not man enough to push a 1x10. Lee if you didn't stop for pictures, videos and smack talk every 30 meters you might actually get yourself in shape and be capable of a 1x10. Try it for a week and I'll bet you'll be rolling with us big boys in no time!