Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Hard to imagine Shimano investing resources in new 10sp stuff when Sram is already a year into 11sp.
    I hope I'm wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

hahaha, 1x tough guys...I've been on a number of rides in the past few weeks where all the 1x hardmen walked a bunch of the climbs while I was still riding, fashionistas...if 1x makes one tough and so strong, why do so many proponents/users spend so much time walking up steep climbs? 1x isn't a game changer, it's a regression.

Was pretty surprised that Shimano didn't come out with something noteworthy at Euro / Interbike. I was figuring we'd see electronic XTR.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    hahaha, 1x tough guys...I've been on a number of rides in the past few weeks where all the 1x hardmen walked a bunch of the climbs while I was still riding, fashionistas...if 1x makes one tough and so strong, why do so many proponents/users spend so much time walking up steep climbs? 1x isn't a game changer, it's a regression.
    Booom so true.

I've spent all of this season on a poor man's 1x10 (3Ot front and 36t rear). I'm riding everything I rode before, on a 2x. BUT i will have to agree with you in a race scenario. The recent Lumpy Pemberton race had some STIFF climbs that forced me into hike mode. i think if i had a granny i could of rode more and placed slightly better.

Anyway, as I've said before poor man's 1x10 is not the game changer - XX1 is. The 11 speed with 42T in the rear gives us all the gear range we need. so riding up stiff climbs is just as possible on the 1x11 as it is with a granny.

They just didn't have 28t chainrings.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If you only lived in places with smooth tralls which had been cleansed of anything technical then 1x10 will make sense. Leave Whistler and go to OR, UT or CO

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    If you only lived in places with smooth tralls which had been cleansed of anything technical then 1x10 will make sense. Leave Whistler and go to OR, UT or CO
    1x10 was very fitting in Oregon this year.

I kinda like 1x10 on technical climbs locally though. there is something about being forced into in a higher gear when climbing up a short technical feature. it yields more traction and less wheel spin. i've cleaned things I've never cleaned before thanks to 1x10.

I gotta agree. LL, have you ever tried 1x10, my tech climbing is in no way limited by 1x10, in fact it's only improved since: 1) I don't accidentally go into too low a gear and find myself with a lack of power to get over a square edge 2) I don't accidentally hit the wall on the midring and find myself in a position of being unable to shift into the granny (due to load).

On sustained steep climbs, I find myself getting stronger, no big deal there. It's those random super steep short climbs where I find myself geared out - the ones where its actually faster and more energy efficient to walk, anyway. You might lose a couple seconds in a race getting on/off your bike I guess, but your moving speed is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I gotta agree. LL, have you ever tried 1x10?
    he's never tried it. his opinion can be ignored until he does.

It works really well out by me (east coast US) in CT. Primarily riding in CT, NY, and MA, with forays into NH and VT. Lots of chunk on the climbs and descents.

But said climbs and descents are short and fast. 28 and 30 fronts with 11-36 ten speed rears - works great. Low enough to get up everything decently well, but just high enough where you're not spinning out on the downside.

Out west, I'd stick with a two ring setup most likely, or spring for the full xx1/xo1 dealio. Different terrain and elevation profiles, for sure. Even some of the longer climbs I've done up in NH and VT left me feeling fine with my 30T ring choice - but they are still shorter than some of the long climbing days in other places.

YMMV/potato/potahto/whatever works for you. Why waste time bitching about someone else's bike setup?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

these guys emailed me back just as I was installing my general lee(ears must have been ringing). they sais they will have a 11-40/42 10 spd cassette available jan/feb. looks like they have a bunch of machined anodized goodies. you might be able to match your anodized bars/pedals/stems with a cassette for the ultimate tough guy fashion sense

Who are 'these guys'?

Screw all this 1X stuff. We need everyone to email Sram to develop a lightweight Hammerschmidt.
    All Ti/Alum/carbon internals, Mega Exo style cranks with carbon arms.
    Yea, It'd cost over a grand (in the beginning) but anyone who's ever used one would find a way to pay for it.

THAT would be the shit.

the 11-42 cassettes are already for sale on their ebay store page.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mop18795/m.h...p2047675.l2562

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Who are 'these guys'?
    ha, much like my grocery shopping "I think i'm forgetting something?"
    http://www.trickstuff.de/

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    the 11-42 cassettes are already for sale on their ebay store page.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mop18795/m.h...p2047675.l2562
    That's the same thing they've had from the beginning. It just replaces the largest four gears of your cassette and performance, as D(C) notes, is inconsistent at best. I also note that they now recommend a non-clutched or 'type 1' derailleur for best performance. That's a deal breaker right there.

Happy with 1X10 personally, it does have limitations but I feel the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. However, the SRAM 11 speed IS a game changer. It gives up nothing to a 2X setup while reaping significant advantages in terms of weight and reliability. How can that be bad? Seems to me there's really no valid argument against except cost. My next build will definitely be 11 speed.

Obviously this is my opinion and YMMV.
    Last edited by beaterdit; 10-27-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I also note that they now recommend a non-clutched or 'type 1' derailleur for best performance.
    Interesting. I did find I had an easier time shifting on and off the cog group with the clutch turned off.

I heard more good rumors about Shimano 10sp 11-40t cassettes this weekend. That brings me great joy.

11-40 isn't going to work for me as a single chainring solution, I think. I'll need some steroids.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Been running xx1 crank(32 t) with x0 10spd rear type 2 and 11-36 cassette here in UT. Been pretty happy so far, dropped the chain on two consecutive days on Rush, which surprised me. However, I tend to shift a lot more on that trail on the down then others and think I might have shifted then not not pedaled which caused something weird to happen. Hasn't happened since. Only times I've wished for something less stout was climbing up Pinebrook, that shit is steep with tight switchbacks!

yo true, i have a spare bionicon lower-guide that is like 25g that you should try. cured all ills with my xx1 cranks.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Screw all this 1X stuff. We need everyone to email Sram to develop a lightweight Hammerschmidt.
    All Ti/Alum/carbon internals, Mega Exo style cranks with carbon arms.
    Yea, It'd cost over a grand (in the beginning) but anyone who's ever used one would find a way to pay for it.

THAT would be the shit.
    I've used one, and I pretty much hated it . I'll take 1x11 over hammerschmidt any day of the week.

Just an FYI, I've torn off a couple of those Bionicons. They work, but not for long. They are really exposed to being ripped off the bike by rocks. Probably great for the PNW though.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've used one, and I pretty much hated it . I'll take 1x11 over hammerschmidt any day of the week.
    You're that first person I've heard that from.
    I loved mine other than the weight penalty. The ability to have an instant front shift at any time was a game changer to me.