Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Hahaha, never saw Lee throw the smack down like that.
    Too bad that 38T is bending so much, that could be just the thing for me with the 24/38 chainrings. You get the oh-so-holy 1:1 ratio that the in-shape athletic dudes are always on about, and you get 24/38 and I'm rarely even in 38/11, so dropping that wouldn't be a big deal.
    1X10 is tempting for the simplicity, but I just can't do it (yet) since everything here is so steep and wide. I just can't stand up and pedal for that long since I'm used to sitting and spinning with my FS 26".
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Jeebus, for the price of the 38t ring, the 13t first position, and the OS lockring, I could just get new chainrings and not torque the shit outta the freehub.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    i think my ideal poor-man's xx1 setup would be:
    sram crank arms
    32t AND 30t wide-narrow MRP bling ring to switch for different rides/times of season.
    shimano ZEE rear derailleur
    shimano ZEE rear shifter
    shimano SLX 11-36 cassette and chain
    no guide

you would pretty much have it all covered that way. maybe screw around with a 38 or 40t rear cog for the cassette, but TBD if those solutions are actually dialed and ride right.
    This looks like a good solution. I just replaced a chainstay on my Curtlo frame due to cracking from chainsuck fatigue - I'm seriously considering moving to 1x10 within the next year. One question I have is: would it be possible to throw the front ring on LX 3-ring hollowtech crankset and still achieve proper chainline?</dirtbag>

for sure. stick a 32t wolf tooth ring on there and call it a day.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

you wore out the chainstay from chainsuck? It sounds like user error.
    No longer stuck.

I just ordered a General Lee 11-42. I'll report back once I have it.

Jared Graves' bike from the Crankworkx Enduro. Looks like a General Lee 11-42 with a med cage XTR.

curious to know how it works for you and final price after ship. that kinda looks like a long cage. hard to tell. some days or some rides I could use a few more teeth on the cassette. I have a long cage slx. i'm still having a hard time sourcing out a bmx ring that's not cutaway in a 40/42t to make something. found a 39t on "dan's comp" yesterday for cheap. the search continues

Yeah me too. 26x36 with big wheels gets a little tough on long steep climbs and I'm thinking it might be less than new cranks and rings. Or I could just HTFU

Is Shimano coming out with a 1x11 option for 2014??????

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Is Shimano coming out with a 1x11 option for 2014??????
    If you're asking about Graves' bike, I count 10 sprockets. That thing looks like a General Lee with the cutouts in the sprockets.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    final price after ship
    I paid $201.59 CAD from actionsports.de, plus whatever anal rape DHL subjects me to for customs clearing.

http://www.actionsports.de/gb/Compon...er::59666.html - but the listed price includes a 19% tax we don't have to pay. The cost is closer to 100 EUR + shipping.

2x10 is working just perfectly for me. Even in the roughest fastest race situations I've ever been in. Shadow+ rear mech and as short a chain as I can possibly run. No dropped chains and shifts into granny prefect. Full Shimano set-up, mix of XT and SLX with Envy chain rings, and no issues with Race Face rings.

What's supposed to be the advantage of 1x again?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    2x10 is working just perfectly for me. Even in the roughest fastest race situations I've ever been in. Shadow+ rear mech and as short a chain as I can possibly run. No dropped chains and shifts into granny prefect. Full Shimano set-up, mix of XT and SLX with Envy chain rings, and no issues with Race Face rings.

I was running 2x10 with a Shadow+ and kept dropping chains without a guide. It cost me the Pipeline stage in our races. My hope is that I can now get away without running a guide (or at least no bottom roller) and keep my chain on. I found the MRP 2x I was running when I did use a guide had a fair amount of drag.

Also, I bent the 3rd largest cog on my XT cassette which made me decide to pick up one of these adapters since I had to spend some money on a cassette anyway. Plus I had bent a few of the teeth on the big ring of my 2x10 and it needed to be replaced, so I went with a RF narrow/wide. I probably wouldn't have bothered if broken parts didn't present the opportunity to make this change.
    Last edited by D(C); 08-14-2013 at 12:25 PM.

I am running the same thing as you Shirk, and am just fine with it. I like being able to take a granny dump at the base of a really steep climb instead of having to shift all the way across the cassette too.

That said, I'd love to try out an XX1 setup to see what I am missing ;-).
    Keep it unclipped

My advantages: After dropping my shifter, housing, front derailleur and rock ring my bike is almost 2 pounds lighter. My handlebar is less cluttered. My bike is quieter. I never have to worry about a dropped chain when dropping to a granny under load. I'm stronger. One less component to worry about breaking, replacing, adjusting etc. The bike is easier to clean....

Quieter? Where is the extra noise in a 2x system with clutch mech?

Dropping chain when dropping to granny under load isn't the systems fault, either user error or improper set up.

2lbs? Really? I'd like to see actual numbers on that. A quick run of XT components doesn't add up.

Dropping chain when dropping to granny under load isn't the systems fault, either user error or improper set up.

2lbs? Really? I'd like to see actual numbers on that. A quick run of XT components doesn't add up.
    Even with the clutch, there was some rattling of the chain against the front derailleur.

My drops weren't when shifting. They happened when riding along, usually after a fuck-up or crash. I never once dropped when running the 2x guide.

In all there wasn't anything wrong with the 2x10 setup per se. 1x is just new and shiny. Both have their pros and cons. And once again I probably would have forgone this expense had I not pooched my cassette.

Oh, and I dropped just over a pound by ditching an X7 FD, XT front shifter, MRP 2X guide, granny ring and 2 chain links. But not 2 lbs.

... And I should note that the drop in weight is not discernible while riding the bike.

I can see in your case with the fugged up cassette that this allows you to use the other half. But what about when the lower half is worn out and the top is still not worn? Buy a while XT cassette and park the top cluster in the bin?

I had more than my share of 2x10 issues last year pre Shadow+. But wow that SLX Shadow+ solved them ALL.

I've been pretty pro almost every mtb "evolution" the last number of years. The rush to 1x drivetrains on bikes that are meant to be pedalled in mountains is the one change don't get.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    Even with the clutch, there was some rattling of the chain against the front derailleur.
    This is one thing that makes 1x attractive to me. When things get rough my FD definitely makes some noise. I use my granny ring so little I've considered getting rid of the FD and shifter and just moving the chain over manually on those rare occasions.

The other pound is the carbon XX1 crankset. The weight savings are very real and very noticeable, at least when picking up the bike.

Also, regardless of other benefits, ditching the front derailleur alone is worth it. Front derailleurs suck. The simplicity of your system without it is so liberating. Also all the other benefits listed above.

Note however, I'm a happy 1X10 customer and won't change until it gets A LOT cheaper or I get A LOT richer. Might try that General Lee thingamabobber one of these days but in no hurry to do so. Especially since I have a fresh XO 10 speed cassette in reserve right now.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quieter: no random front derailleur rubbing/slap

Drops: true, a 100% dialed front derailleur wont drop under load but that requires adjustment periodically. plus any other random drops that just dont happen any more.

Weight: i was running SLX. if you include housing, cable, chainring bolts, chainring and rock ring (30T is small enough i dont need a rock ring) it's close to 2 lbs - and i'll be grateful for it on Chilcotin death marches.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post

Also, regardless of other benefits, ditching the front derailleur alone is worth it. Front derailleurs suck. The simplicity of your system without it is so liberating. Also all the other benefits listed above.
    Apparently bike designers are LOVING 1x systems as well. designing for a front derailleur and mount etc is a serious pain in the ass for them.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    The other pound is the carbon XX1 crankset. The weight savings are very real and very noticeable, at least when picking up the bike.
    One pound compared to what?

If your going to talk the weight of XX1 components you better be comparing them to the same level in Shimano.

Full XX1 weight vs full 2x10 XTR weight is a fair comparison.

I have not done extensive digging but a quick search shows 163 g difference.