Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

When do you want to die?

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...ve_longer.html

I've long figured that once I make it to 80, I consider the additional years to be gravy. Many of my relatives lived well into their 90s, and I'm not against the idea of living to 95, but when someone I know makes a 'nope, not going to keep taking the chemotherapy...I'm 85 yrs old for chrissakes' decision, I can empathize with that.

Pretty sure this topic has come up here before but enough of you are senile that it will seem fresh.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I used to see obits of people who died when they were 65, 70, and think "they lived a full life and they were old", and then my parents got to that age, and suddenly 65 or 70 didn't seem like the right time to go. My dad's in his 80s and mom is almost there, and both are still enjoying life, so my perspective has shifted, I hope to be alive and kicking hard at that age.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

If my mind is more limber than my body is stiff, I want another day.

I figure about 325-350 oughta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Eat more donuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Eat more donuts.

Are we talking about body or frozen head? BIG difference.

I want to die when life is not worth living. I don't know when that will be. I've seen 85 year old who have a great life and 75 year olds who's life sucks. It will be a state of mind, not a chronological number.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Big pow day, heart attack on the skyline chair and they can just leave me there till they shut down the lift at 3:30
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

When the hooker and blow are all gone, duh.

When Ted Cruz declares nuclear war on China.

My father just died of a heart attack at 72 and my brother died the same way at 43 . I'll be lucky to see 70, and 80 is probably not happening.

I want to live as long as possible.

My grandfather lived to be mid 90's, outliving his wife, brother, sisters, wife's siblings, most of his friends, one kid, two grandkids. After one of his grandkids, my first cousins funeral I was riding around in the pasture looking at cattle in his pickup with him, he was mid 80's and still a goer. He had been pretty damn quiet and said you know, people think this growing old bullshit is so fucking easy. It ain't. Imagine living and there is nobody that can relate to anything about when you were the age you are now. Fuck that.

I sure as hell don't want to outlive my kids. Fuck that.

Old age can be depressing as hell, they know they will smell like pee and nobody will come to visit them in the nursing home once they go in.

Who told you that you die, your body wears out.

duh
    watch out for snakes

Dunno how many bothered to read that short article I linked to, but in addition to the obvious points about how no one desires years and years of being feeble but (barely) alive, there's another angle entirely that is related to narcissism/selfishness.

If biotechnology offered you a monthly injection that guaranteed very good health and energy but automatic death at 80, would you just say No and hope to beat the odds & be active into your 90s?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Don't listen to him, he's delirious. He could go at any moment.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    If biotechnology offered you a monthly injection that guaranteed very good health and energy but automatic death at 80, would you just say No and hope to beat the odds & be active into your 90s?

I will take my chances thanks. I eat well, exercise, stretch and have a great family history.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I thought they carbon dated you at like 10,000 years?
    You know, before Earth...
    I can send you some more carbon if they took too much.

But, to frorider, it seems I have known more than a few people who lived longer by not taking chemo as opposed to their counterparts who did, those who chose conventional treatment suffering all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by hev View Post
    My father just died of a heart attack at 72 and my brother died the same way at 43 . I'll be lucky to see 70, and 80 is probably not happening.
    Can I get your skis?
    What size make etc.?
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Sometimes I wish I was dead right now.

http://plus50lifestyles.com/countries-life-expectancy/

You want to live longer its better to be japanese, even oriental americans live longer than whites and blacks ...yellow ages better

Canada and the USA have very similar lifestyles and the USA has the best HC in the world but canada is 11th while USA is tied for 36th with Cuba ...clearly the embargo hasn't worked
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have no idea why, but I really can't imagine myself as a 35 year old. Never have, never will. Every day past 35 will be an astonishment to me. I'm 29, and recently just upped that from 30. Maybe that will happen every 5 years.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."