Black Diamond 2011 Quadrant

BD has 2011 Quadrants priced $350 less than the current model. Can the additional cost for the 2013 be justified?

Bump this

well if it was a good boot back then it still is as good now. just not in comparison.

I just bought another pair of dynafit zzero4 boots, new and 3 years old for 150 euros...just to stock them. none of the newer makings fit me as perfectly as the zzero.

so if you know the quadrant fits well, why not?

I think the biggest change was the liners. I don't know if the new ones are really much better so I'd say safe the $350 and eventually plan to upgrade the lines to intuitions or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Poz View Post
    I think the biggest change was the liners. I don't know if the new ones are really much better so I'd say safe the $350 and eventually plan to upgrade the lines to intuitions or something.
    I searched and found that the new model has a different foot bed that is slightly thicker to take up some room. Several reviewers found they could not keep their foot from sloping around in the older model, BD sells the new footbed. If I buy the 2011 and have to put in new liners and the foot beds I am not going to do it. After 40 + years of skiing my feet are kind of a mess, I think I will pursue the Scarpa Maestrale.

I love my 2011 quadrants - once I had power wraps and some fitting work to eliminate the liner slip, they were my everyday boot and super cushy - then I got some vulcans which accepted the power wraps from the quadrants like they were custom made for them....well the poor quadrants are just gathering dust now. The unfortunate thing about the boots with greater range of motion is that you can never really go back to a boot w/o the same R.O.M. And not have it bother you unless you are going straight up steep 90% of the time.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    I love my 2011 quadrants - once I had power wraps and some fitting work to eliminate the liner slip, they were my everyday boot and super cushy - then I got some vulcans which accepted the power wraps from the quadrants like they were custom made for them....well the poor quadrants are just gathering dust now. The unfortunate thing about the boots with greater range of motion is that you can never really go back to a boot w/o the same R.O.M. And not have it bother you unless you are going straight up steep 90% of the time.
    Doesn't my point about having to spend $200 on Intuition liners before using the boots make the cost savings on the 2011 pointless? Why not just go right for Scarpa's and be done with it??

Which of those boots have you tried on cuz they all fit very different, IME the vulcan/mercury fit diffferent from the Maestrale/GEA and from what I have read the quadrant is for a high volume foot so if you fit one PROPERLY ... you shouldn't fit the others

I would definatley count on buying new Intuition liners for the vulcan/mercury and any year of Quadrant so if you actualy do have a Quadrant foot buy the 2011, get intuitions and save 150$ but IMO shop fit not price for boots
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Doesn't my point about having to spend $200 on Intuition liners before using the boots make the cost savings on the 2011 pointless? Why not just go right for Scarpa's and be done with it??
    Once you have a quiver of liners that really won't be an issue....I usually find liners on here for 50-75$ and at most pay 125$ during group buy. The quadrant with power wraps was a much better boot than any scarpa I used especially when stiffened up a little on the down by the wrap.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Christ, now I have no idea which direction to go, I will do the shop thing. Last time I checked my printer did a shitty job of customizing ski boots.

how many threads have you read where buddy got a boot cuz some spancered pro skier (duh they are free) rides it, tries it for a season, sells it to try the same thing next year and the year after that so he has years of shitty skiing all the time spending the skiing $$$ while having sore feet?

OR you could go to a store and ask what fits my foot, yeah some guys know they take a size 27 lange but thats not you ... so you gotta try the boots on

even doing the liner thing there are differences, personaly I found I couldn't stand any of the tongued liners, I paid list prices to deal with the intutition outlet for the custom fit ... but they delivered
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Christ, now I have no idea which direction to go, I will do the shop thing. Last time I checked my printer did a shitty job of customizing ski boots.
    Go with fit first and foremost. When I bought my quadrants they fit me the best. I really really really wanted the maestrale but I couldn't get my toes in the toe box unless the rest of my foot swam and even then my toes went white in a minute.

I've been happy with the 2011s so far. I put some scarpa branded power wraps in them and it stiffens them up for inbounds, probably get some protours once I pack out the stock liners.

Agreed, it's all about fit. The old Quadrants were one of the few that fit fat feet without major mods. The stock liners sucked for me though. Did some home-baked Intuitions boutgh from gear swap and got a nice fit for all of $75.

The flex of the boot is OK, feels a little on/off, not as progressive compared to my alpines, so still trying to get used to that. Don't think I could ever use them as daily drivers. Touring only for me. I have yet to do the mods I have seen that help with range of motion, but may break out the dremel this year. YMMV.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"