Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Guess it wouldn't be summer on TGR without a good ol' bigot gathering. Can't wait for the thread about the idiocy of the Jews, Muslims, Protestants, Jehovahs (and their polar counterparts the militant Atheists) and the absurdity of Tibetan prayer flags.

(by the way, I don't go to church; I just love the hypocrisy of all the 'accepting free thinkers' around here )
    I still call it The Jake.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    and the absurdity of Tibetan prayer flags.
    it's TGR. what clavern of mountain loving liberals would ever mock the Tibetan prayer flag? That'd be like owning something other than a Subaru!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    That'd be like owning something other than a Subaru!
    Wait. Fuck. Was that in the owner's manual here?

Um.... I'll be right back.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wait. Fuck. Was that in the owner's manual here?

Um.... I'll be right back.
    if the dog took it, it better be a golden. named after an alaskan or himalayan peak. with a climbing rope leash.

Glad to hear that the Pope is getting back to the message of what JC was sayin'. So sorry that a lot missed that point.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    if the dog took it, it better be a golden. named after an alaskan or himalayan peak. with a climbing rope leash.
    Here Sitka! Here, here, here Sitka! Fucking frayed Petzl.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Glad to hear that the Pope is getting back to the message of what JC was sayin'. So sorry that a lot missed that point.
    And what point would that be?

The only point missed is by the Pope himself. While I agree what he said is an improvement, it is only a slight one. But hey, this is the most backward institution on earth, give it a few more centuries to modernize. (Excepting of course Islam which is still in the bronze age)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    VATICAN CITY—Following Pope Francis’ tolerant remarks Sunday about homosexuals and the Catholic Church, Vatican officials reportedly went into crisis mode, announcing that the Pope’s thoughtful message of understanding was clearly taken out of context. “It is not the official stance of the Pope or the Catholic Church that all people of good will who seek the Lord, especially gay people, should be accepted by Christ,” a visibly nervous Vatican spokesman told reporters, adding that the Holy Father was clearly tired after his long trip to Brazil and never meant for his comments to sound caring or realistic. “Homosexuality is a disorder. And this in no way means that, going forward, the Catholic Church will be an open-minded, more sensible organization. I assure you we are just as prejudiced and backward today as we were yesterday. Thank you.” According to an anonymous source close to the Vatican, the Pope is currently being yelled at by Church officials, who are telling him, “You don’t just go off script like that. Who the fuck do you think you are?”
    Just so you know it didn't go unappreciated... props.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    And what point would that be?

The only point missed is by the Pope himself. While I agree what he said is an improvement, it is only a slight one. But hey, this is the most backward institution on earth, give it a few more centuries to modernize. (Excepting of course Islam which is still in the bronze age)
    Dude. Hinduism isn't exactly "modern." Gotta love that caste system!

Point is.... "Let whoever has not sinned cast the first stone". Along with the rest of the advice in the passage, the message I and seemingly the pope get is that no human can stand judgement on the sins of another human. Only God can judge. "God"....I'm still waiting for the ultimate definition of that word. Never gonna get one. FWIW, 4 generations plus 65 of my own years with the RCC. It's a big and diverse club. On a side note, I am bummed that I wont get to go to the the Mormon Pageant this year. Been 10 times.

Wait, so you're saying that the smartasses on TGR don't matter more than the billion+ members of the Catholic Church? Shoooooot.

This is a big fucking deal. Just like the Supreme Court rulings on Prop 8 and DOMA. Sure, gay marriage isn't legal nationwide, but those rulings were still a big fucking deal. Baby steps.

(Not Catholic, but I may have gone to a Jesuit school.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yeah, I guess it's a big deal to those that didn't get the memo the first time. It's hard to explain in person let alone here on the internet being able to use only 10% of my human communication senses. As I said, it's a big and diverse club. A lot in the RCC don't put the weight on beliefs as I do. Hope I'm right. Oh wait! As I see it that's what gets me in!!

BTW, The movie "Heaven Help Us". All happened and more at the school I went to. Ah, the memories. I lasted one year.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    But did he say they could Mary in the Catholic Church?
    Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    No, but they can Jesus and Joseph
    All-time, irul.

I thought the poperhausen was where Francis lived in Vatican City.
    And why wouldn't he say be nice to gays?
    A month ago, he said there was a gay conspiracy in the church.
    So he's really saying be nice to the church cause it's gay.

the message I and seemingly the pope get is that no human can stand judgement on the sins of another human.
    This, and all the previous Popes have done a pretty good job of judging gays as sinners for two thousand years. He, and the catholic church still consider it a sin. If that is not judgmental, what is?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

God must be a shit dick, why else would he make an asshole feel like a tight pussy......it's entrapment I tell ya, en-trap-ment.

just say no to religion, all of them altho to their credit the catholics do like to booze

about the only thing I can say I really have an unwavering belief in is that just around the corner is the next deal on gear so ... be patient & never pay list
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This, and all the previous Popes have done a pretty good job of judging gays as sinners for two thousand years. He, and the catholic church still consider it a sin. If that is not judgmental, what is?
    Please note. The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the RCC, TGR, their management or advertisers.

There is judgement as in one man's opinion and The Final Judgement i.e. and only God can make that call. Sin is a personal thing between me and Him. It's the definition of Him that is the rub. I loved that line in Rudy with the priest saying "40 years of studying theology and I'm sure of only two things. There is a God, and I'm not him."

Ah, the memories flood back

Sister Mary Eliphantus -- "Where is God?.... class? -- "God is everywhere and in all of us Sister Mary Eliphantus" me and the 53 other members of my 4th grade class would intone in unison.

Brother McHale to my pal Mike in HS - "If I had a belt I would beat you for forgetting your homework". "I have a belt Brother" said a 14 y.o who looks and sounds like a 14 y. o. Sean Hannity. 5 whacks as I recall. I gotta stop hating Sean Hannity. It's a sin.

The Final Judgement i.e. and only God can make that call. Sin is a personal thing between me and Him.
    So, it is safe to assume you want to just through out the bible and get on with just being a moral creature? Unfortunately your popester says being gay, or at least acting on it is a sin. Which is to say it is okay to be gay as long as your not gay. And this guy leads how many billion people?

iscariot

So, it is safe to assume you want to just through out the bible and get on with just being a moral creature? Unfortunately your popester says being gay, or at least acting on it is a sin. Which is to say it is okay to be gay as long as your not gay. And this guy leads how many billion people?
    Which isn't really a change of the position, just a softening.

From a church in Australia:

Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

"Who am I to judge" is what he said and that is a key shift back to what JC told us in how to handle these things IMO. Understand, the pope can make sweeping, immediate changes with about the same ease as Obama has had inserting Obamacare. FYI, it was NOT an infallible statement.

A lot of people think his every religious pronouncement is the new truth. Not so.

I'm not a bible thumper or student. A lot of good info in the NT. The OT might be an religious read for some. I try to picture why the OT edicts may have been the right thing to do for ignorant tribal nomadic populations living in tents yet aren't relevant today.

Now try to picture why the NT might be the right thing to do for ignorant Bronze Age city dwelers living in mud walled homes, but yet not very relevant today.

Note: we are 2,000 years down the road, maybe it is time to modernize our theology.

An old girlfriend of mines dad, who was an Anglican minister told me over thirty years ago, " maybe it is time to modernize and not live by the Pauli canon." I don't have much respect for ministers, but this was one person who I really did, and do respect. Hopefully some day Francis will be as wise.

iscariot

Pretty sure the AntiChrist has arrived and is on Wall Street.
    We need a New Jesus, complete with tech support.
    If not, then we'll just have to figure it out for ourselves, which would be quite an evolutionary progression.