Toy Haulin round BC

Hey everybody,
    Winter craving is starting to set in and im trying to figure out the best option for next winter. My best idea so far is buying this awesome 31ft 2005 desert fox toy hauler and driving around BC touring all over the transcanda and the costal zone and possibly up to AK in the spring with the sleds a couple good friends and touring gear. Im posting this to get some ideas from anyone who has done this type of mission before. Good places to stay for extended periods of time, ideally that one could sled and or tour right from the rig. Also logisical concerns as I have never lived in a trailer for a cold canadian winter, am I going to burn through propane like a flame throwing art car at the playa and spend more than just hoteling it?
    THanks hope everyone is a having a fun summer and distracting themselves from the lack of N american snow

Make sure you get an insulated toy hauler particularly if it has a water supply

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    I'd be wary of a rig that big on the roads you want to be on. Fifth wheel at least to keep overall length shorter and more weight on rear axle. Propane heating the thing AND fuel dragging it might make a smaller setup and motels as economical or close. Anybody able to scare up that easyrdr thread about insulating a truck cap? Back in the Powder mag days originally I think. Surfing mag couches and some hotels can go a long way in the right circumstances.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Frankly I dont think I would want to haul a large trailer in the kind of conditions you are hoping to be sking in. Probably better to have some sort of Motor Home even if it means a smaller unit.

I was thinking the same thing but redneck sledders do it every weekend for Alberta over two passes to Revie. Now they are towing big toy only trailers so a much lower center of gravity.

How many people? If 1-3 how about a truck camper with sled trailer. I'd leave the tanks drained as don't want to deal with water. That rig won't have any problems getting to trail heads.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Thanks everyone for the input. I am a little nervous about hauling a big heavy trailer in the winter. However I drove from Tahoe to Banff to Reve back to Seattle last winter and found the main roads to fairly easy winter driving. I would avoid driving in storms to best of my abilities and avoid bringing my trailer to the more tricky trailheads by parking elsewhere and loading sleds in the back of the truck for the day (an added bennifit of the travel trailer vs 5th wheel) The trailer im looking into is a 4 season which has insulated tanks and water lines as well as better insulation and heating for winter travel. Ive thought about the camper route as well and I might end up going that route its just the nice 4 season campers cost more than this really nice four season toy hauler i found!

I've got a similar plan, but I'm building a flatbed for my diesel and a camper unit I can fit 2 sleds inside. I'll be heading down from AK in Dec and heading back up late Jan for the spring season.

I was in BC last year early season, and it's the spot to be, especially for sledskiing. Logging roads blazed errwhere, and lots of them are groomed by various organizations so you can shuttle up groomer and shred chest deep back down. You're best off finding a local who knows the spots. Whistler has a ton of activity, and plenty of room to get away. Pemberton is sick too, Golden of course but I think it has less easy access. Haven't done Revy but I hear excellent things. Maybe a BC local can pipe up, although I'm sure most are coveting their spots.

You'll be stoked for sure if you come up to AK in the spring. Conditions are more variable than BC, but Thompson Pass has by far the easiest access to big mountains I've seen. Camping is free on the pullouts, the scene is going off in early April, and I could be standing on top of any one of a number of big descents in a 15 minute sled ride or 1.5hr tour from the rig. If you've got the sleds, knowledge, gas, and bootpacking drive you can get virtually anywhere the helis can. Turnagain and Hatcher Pass are sick too, but the better terrain is accessed via touring.
    Shrednecking in AK full time
    www.prycebrown.com

Depending on when you drive the highways and which routes that you take hauling, a trailer is alright. Highway 99, the Coquihalla, Kootenay Pass, Rogers Pass can all be incredibly dangerous winter drives. Problem is you are probably going to want to be driving them in the worst of times so that you can hit your destination just as the storm comes to an end. This would be better without a trailer however its not impossible with one just don't be expecting to be driving around during the storms. A lot of the time these highways also get closed during the storm events so you could get stuck in a less than ideal spot, or you could be stuck in the best spot where they are getting the most snow.

Whistler area has the most straightforward sled laps if thats what you are into. The rest of the province is up for grabs and you will be fighting less other sled shredders however most places are not so easy to figure out unless you have a local to show you to the goods. Most people aren't that willing however some won't care.

u need 2 trucks. 1 camper truck, 1 sled truck with deck. driving in these mountains all winter takes balls and a 5th wheel is suicide. not to mention u can't take that thing anywhere where there is sledding. good luck trying to turn that around on a snowcovered FSR with 2 meter banks. Whistler is a good option. Park at GreenAcres RV park. full winter hook ups. $36 a night/$16 a night when your not using it. still need that 2nd vehicle! Good luck!

There is this custom rig that was always around Revy last year. It was some kind of semi with a custom built living trailer about 30 ft on it and then a double decker sled deck at the very back to fit four sleds on. You need that I think There is some photos of it somewhere. That thing is ridiculous.

Here it is ...

Thats awesome. Exactly what I was describing all put into one!

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    u need 2 trucks. 1 camper truck, 1 sled truck with deck. driving in these mountains all winter takes balls and a 5th wheel is suicide. not to mention u can't take that thing anywhere where there is sledding. good luck trying to turn that around on a snowcovered FSR with 2 meter banks. Whistler is a good option. Park at GreenAcres RV park. full winter hook ups. $36 a night/$16 a night when your not using it. still need that 2nd vehicle! Good luck!
    All of those a good points but if he dropped the trailer in town and only go to trail heads with sleds on truck it might be workable. Not that I would do it as I would go the dirtbag camper $700 camper route. The reason we went the camper route was to get into places a trialer could not go in summer. Actaully ripped out water system for more storage.

Other than Whistler or Lake Louise are there any camp grounds open? I can't think of any in Golden. Seen people parked for a night at end of our road. Can you camp over night at some like the Quarzt Creek parking lot.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by prbrownie View Post
    I've got a similar plan, but I'm building a flatbed for my diesel and a camper unit I can fit 2 sleds inside. .....
    thought about something similair , any pictures /sketches.

also thought about doing that with a duece and a half but that would be a real project and wife might have me put away.

Edit to add- though while I wouldn't do it tons of Albertians go to Revie every weekend maching through the passes towing big sled trailers ~25ft long. Would have lower centre of gravity so nicer load but still. And you don't see them in the ditch either.

I'd make sure you have a good tow controller to really dial in the braking on the trailer.
    Last edited by DougW; 08-02-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Good lord that Diesel rig is RADNESS! Thanks for the input everyone. I decided against the trailer. I bought a cheep cabover ($250!) and decided to save the money to spend on traveling, staying in motels when needed and all the gas im going to spend driving around and filling up the sleds. REvy has the goods for sled access I was up there in January and found a few great forrest roads for access. I believe golden has a decent amount as well not to mention the insane touring possibilities at rogers so that will be my home base until springish when I head west over to Pemberton and hopefully upto Haines which I hear also has epic sled touring on the Canadian side. Anyways all of you who posted and have the same vision I hope to see yall up in BC this winter!!!

A question that seems somewhat appropriate for this thread:

For those that are hauling sleds around BC in a non-enclosed trailer (and sleeping in motels) how are you securing the sleds at night? I've heard lots of stories about sleds disappearing in the night, particularly in places like Revie and Golden. I'm certainly not running the newest or nicest sleds, but is running a few chains through the sleds going to be sufficient to keep them from wandering off?

In Revy there have been a lot of truck, trailer, sled combos stolen. They take the whole shabang at one time. Drive them out of town immediately and are never seen again. There really is no stopping them with chains, they can just cut them with bolt cutters. Best thing is to park them out of sight somewhere, away from the hotel parking lots. I've never had an issue or heard of many people having sleds stolen out of their driveway or from behind their house/out of sight of the main tourist areas. It is always hotel parking lots and the thieves seem quite bold so I'm not sure there is much stopping them if they have their eyes set on your prize.

Get an immobilizer for your truck and a hitch lock for your trailer, and put Polaris covers on your sleds and you shouldn't have a problem
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I stayed at the sketchiest motel in Revy last winter with my pro rmk in the bed of my truck (probably unlocked too) for a week with no issues. But this is good to know! On a mildly related note, said sketchy motel has the best indian buffet I have ever had in my life its only on friday nights but its 10 bucks! I think it was called the frontier?

Quote Originally Posted by fivefourtwo View Post
    Here it is ...
    Dear sweet baby Jesus...

Polaris cover is a good deterrent. If you can't find one of those invest in the old school steering wheel Club. Always lock and chain your sled and club the truck and you should have no problems.

My bro does a lot of sledding with a bunch of oil field guys out of grande prairie heading to revy/ sicamous a lot. Lots of camping so quite do able. Also don't forget McBride, Vale Mont, blue river, kakwa (huge sled camping ). Terrace and surrounding area. BC is a big place with a ton of mountains and lots to explore

Sent from my XT907 using TGR Forums