Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    So he didn't turn at all in his run before hitting that air? Bullshit. The turns he made before pointing it could have been the culprit.
    JEEZ YER TOUGH TO PLEEZ.

he wasn't turning at all when he set it off, so.........who the fuck knows. anyway this TR is fucking lame compared to that MIT doods TR. that guys trying to be a miracle worker n shit. let's go over there

rog

Well, looks like you proved that straightlining is an effective strategy for never triggering a slide since there is no video evidence of it happening. I look forward to your TRs of straightlining avalanche paths.

Either you are a genius or a total moron...

Or I'm just dicking around. I am curious to see an example though. Where it happens on the slope, etc.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Structural changes in the snow pack and weighting are as mysterious as lady parts. The answer to the OP's question is a definitive yes. Slides have been initiated every way you can possibly imagine.

You can't prove a negative. It has likely happened many a time. I would say the answer is a strong yes.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

this thread is gay
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    this thread is gay
    dood where ya been?!

rog

just been workin my ass off and stockpilin' paychecks for the winter time. headin' to BC in january.

oh yeah, mostly ive been shreddin glaciers in the tetons..
    long live the jahrator

Quote Originally Posted by totaliboard View Post
    just been workin my ass off and stockpilin' paychecks for the winter time. headin' to BC in january.

oh yeah, mostly ive been shreddin glaciers in the tetons..
    interior or coastal bc? stoked for you. LOVE bc <3

rog

pow highway, mothafunka.. nelson, smithers, terrace, pemberton, errrywhere!!! then ak in the spring.
    long live the jahrator

1:35ish

^^^^^^big one. glad it worked out. wonder if he'da dropped the line w/o airbag backup.

rog

You most certainly can set off an avalanche while straightlining. I know because I've done it. There's a very narrow chute at Kirkwood with several names (Tremans, One Man, etc.) It's basically a tight slot in a big rock face. The drop in is steep, you pick up a ton of speed very quickly, and it narrows down to a slot just big enough to ski through. Here's a pic courtesy of the 6'er.

Anyway, I dropped in one day and the whole apron below the exit slid out and took me for a nice little ride. As a result, I now wear my beacon inbounds whenever there's fresh snow on the ground without exception.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    1:35ish

Looked like he was in turn when he started that small slab though.

I'd think on an perfect smooth slope like a coulouir that the chance of triggering something while straightlining is less because you'd be accelerating virtually the whole way down therefore exerting minimal force on the slope. But in the real world there are little bumps and undulations in the snow and because you'd be hitting those at speed the g-forces would be greater, and your chances of disturbing a weak layer way down are higher if you straightline.

Bottom line: Even if you're good enough tostay on your skis the whole way down,.straightlinig definitely isn't a free ticket out of a sketchy situation.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    ^^^^^^big one. glad it worked out. wonder if he'da dropped the line w/o airbag backup.

rog
    I wonder if they would even have gotten up to the mountain w/o snow tires.

In the context of airbags leading to worse decision making in the backcountry - I think in reference to that video, it's pretty irrelevant.. the kinds of lines he rides have disastrous consequences with or without an airbag, and I think he probably understands the consequences more than most of the people armchair qb'ing his risk assessment on TGR. I don't think taking advantage of the tools at your disposal is dumb.. and I'm interested in why you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo-san View Post
    I don't think taking advantage of the tools at your disposal is dumb.. and I'm interested in why you think it is.
    jong,

taking advantage of tools at yer disposal to make you feel safer in an area where you'd probably avoid without those tools is human nature. humans get more comfy in/with their surroundings more and more as the tool belt/box gets more full. but humans are very fragile and nature can be so punishingly destructive. oftentimes our tools are no match.

"wonder if he'da dropped the line w/o airbag backup" is as valid a question as valid gets. prove me wrong. jong.

rog

The reason humans get more comfy with a more full "tool belt/box" is because we have the ability to critically reason, and determine if a situation will or won't be safer given a varying set of circumstances(admittedly this is usually determined subjectively). Do airbags make skiing avalanche terrain enormously safer? I don't think so, and I think most knowledgeable riders don't think so either. Do I think it makes it more dangerous? No. That being said - If you can't critically reason and you think that the airbag is going to be some kind of restart button on all of the bad choices you've made, it could potentially be more dangerous. What I was saying in my previous post is I don't think that is AT ALL the case in the video- I think someone with that much experience riding highly committing lines has a good perspective on the risks involved in that type of riding.

Will you join me on my new journey in life is to make the world stop using condoms, snow tires, crampons, ski brakes, clothing, shoes, shelter, sunglasses and all that other shit that forces us to go into more dangerous surroundings and/or do things we otherwise shouldn't?

yer being silly, jong.^^^^^^

rog

Skiing is srs bzns.

skiing is also kinda silly. especially lift served. bizarro.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    taking advantage of tools at yer disposal to make you feel safer in an area where you'd probably avoid without those tools is human nature. humans get more comfy in/with their surroundings more and more as the tool belt/box gets more full.
    What rog [...roj...jong..rojong, haha] says is true.

Who here takes less avalanche risk when skiing alone?

A ski partner is part of your safety system. A tool.

Who here sees movies where they take more risk when a helicopter or two is on standby to dive on and help out in big mountains? Safety system. Tool.

All these systems should be used. We should be honest about how it increases our risk acceptance.
    Life is not lift served.

weirdo^^^^^^^

rog

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    What rog [...roj...jong..rojong, haha] says is true.

Who here takes less avalanche risk when skiing alone?

A ski partner is part of your safety system. A tool.

Who here sees movies where they take more risk when a helicopter or two is on standby to dive on and help out in big mountains? Safety system. Tool.

All these systems should be used. We should be honest about how it increases our risk acceptance.
    Wait what, so Rawj is really just another Tool?

you know, for avalanche risk assessment and such
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

skiing solo is safer. it's proven.

rog