Thread: RIP JJ Cale

RIP JJ Cale

Died last night after a heart attack: "People like Cale, Young, Clapton and Cash have known something the rest of us don't. They're tapped into the cosmos and have found that universal switch inside our beings, turning us on, creating the soundtrack to our lives." More on his music and legacy here.

The album "Naturally" blew my young mind back in the 70s, then Cale's music just kept popping up in my life. I have particularly fond memories of the album "V," as it was the soundtrack for being seduced by a young woman I was hot for back in the day. His recent collaborations with Clapton are the stuff of legend, IMHO.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Ah, RIP Mr. Cale. Might have to just sit here and listen to "Live" for a while.

RIP JJ. His music will live on. Got to see him play once at the Belly Up in Solana, what a treat.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

RIP

solid stuff here

http://youtu.be/IaHxPi9dM7o

Quote Originally Posted by pruitt View Post
    RIP

solid stuff here

Thanks for that link, watched/listened over lunch. Turns out JJ and Leon go way back. Here is an obit posted on Eric Clapton's FB page. Old Slowhand, incidentally, has over 5 million likes on FB. Crazy, mama.

The legendary American Singer / Songwriter, JJ Cale, died on Friday 26 July of a heart attack at Scripps Hospital in La Jolla, California. The news was reported on his management company's website and on the musician's Facebook page.

JJ Cale (John W. Cale) was born on 5 December 1938, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. A nightclub owner in California who was employing Cale in the mid-960’s came up with the “JJ” moniker to avoid confusion with the Velvet Underground’s John Cale.

A composer, guitarist and vocalist, he was one of the innovators of the “Tulsa Sound.” It draws on blues, rockabilly, country, and jazz influences. In an interview, JJ once said, “I don’t think there is a Tulsa sound as such. It’s just individuals. But I know what you mean. In western Oklahoma you’ve got a lot of country music. Then in eastern Oklahoma, it’s closer to the Mississippi and you’ve got more blues musicians. In Tulsa we got influenced by both and there’s some jazz in there too. So I guess that’s what made my sound.”

JJ began playing guitar in the clubs around Tulsa, Oklahoma in the 1950s. He played in a variety of rock and western swing bands, including one with Leon Russell. In 1959, he moved to Nashville, Tennessee where he was hired by the Grand Ole Opry’s touring company. After a few years, he returned to Tulsa where he reunited with Russell and began playing in the local clubs. In 1964, JJ and Leon moved to Los Angeles with another musician from Oklahoma, Carl Radle. In Los Angeles, JJ worked as a studio engineer and played with Delaney and Bonnie for a brief time. He launched his solo career in 1965. That same year, he cut the first version of “After Midnight,” which would become his most famous song. A year later, Cale formed the Leathercoated Minds with songwriter Roger Tillison and recorded "A Trip Down Sunset Strip."

He returned to Tulsa in 1967 and again embarked on the club circuit. Within a year, he had completed a set of demos. Carl Radle obtained a copy and sent them to Denny Cordell, who was launching Shelter Records with Leon Russell. Shelter signed Cale in 1969. JJ’s debut album, Naturally, was released in December 1971. It included the Top 40 hit “Crazy Mama,” a re-recorded version of “After Midnight” (which nearly reached the Top 40) and “Call Me the Breeze.” These remain some of his best known songs.

Following the release of his sophomore effort, JJ embarked a slow work schedule. Over the years, his aversion to stardom and extensive touring became well-known. He happily remained relatively obscure for decades. In an interview, JJ Cale said, “I’m a guitarist and a songwriter and I got lucky when Clapton heard one of my songs. I’m not a showbiz kind of guy. I had the passion to do music as much as anybody. But I never wanted to be the patsy up front. And I still don’t want to be famous.”

It took until 1983 for him to record his eighth album, 8. Then, there were no further albums until1990's Travel Log. 10 was released in 1992, followed by Close to You (1994) and Guitar Man (1996). Those albums were followed by another long period of inactivity. JJ did not return to recording until 2003. The result was the critically acclaimed To Tulsa and Back (2004). His last CD was Roll On (2009). He embarked on his final tour in April 2009 to support it's release.

Eric Clapton is one of many musicians who have noted J.J’s influence on their music. They include Mark Knopfler, Neil Young, Bryan Ferry, and “jam bands” like Widespread Panic. Clapton, when asked by Vanity Fair several years ago "What living person do you most admire?" replied simply "JJ Cale." Neil Young has said, "Of all the players I ever heard, it's gotta be Hendrix and JJ Cale who are the best electric guitar players."

Over the years, Eric Clapton recorded several of JJ Cales' compositions including “After Midnight”, "I’ll Make Love To You Anytime”, “Travelin’ Light”, "Angel" and "Cocaine" which remains a Clapton concert staple to this day.

In 2004, JJ was one of the invited performers at Eric’s Dallas Crossroads Guitar Festival. Eric joined JJ and his band on stage for a few songs. Later that year, Eric invited JJ to produce an album for him. Work started in the summer of 2005, but it evolved into a collaborative effort. Their joint album, The Road To Escondido, was released to critical acclaim on 7 November 2006. Certified gold by the RIAA, it won a Grammy for Best Contemporary Blues Album in 2008. On 15 March 2007, JJ joined Eric Clapton on stage during Eric’s tour stop in San Diego, California. In addition to performing “After Midnight” and “Cocaine”, they treated the audience to three songs from The Road To Escondido. JJ can also be heard on EC's 19th studio album, Clapton (2010) and Old Sock (2013).

Although plans for a memorial service have not yet been announced, his management company has said "donations are not needed but he was a great lover of animals so, if you like, donations can be made to your favorite local animal shelter."
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Sad day. JJ was a true luminary of music world. IMO the best ever. RIP JJ.

Dude was just too cool. RIP
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    . Old Slowhand, incidentally, has over 5 million likes on FB. Crazy, mama.
    must be all the anti-immigrant radicals.

I enjoy singing open mic nights. Cash and JJ, are my two favorite artists. RIP bro.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

got a monster "after midnight" at phish last night.
    rip

RIP.

Huge loss. Nothing but great memories!

Quote Originally Posted by pruitt View Post
    RIP

solid stuff here

been my morning Jam today.

JJ made so much good music.

Oklahoma claims both JJ Cale and Flaming Lips, that’s pretty freaking awesome.
    crab in my shoe mouth

i thought this said J. Cole. i am glad it does not.
    swing your fucking sword.

Wait till you hear John Moreland

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    such humble skills
    yet so highly regarded by peers
    godshero

one of my fav tribute albums
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Of course I knew JJ from the songs he has written that have been covered by others but I kinda went on a deep dive with him recently and that dude just killed it on the guitar. I mean, straight up killed it. I was pretty much unaware.