Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    It derailed like that because at the last moment he realized he was coming too fast into the corner and tried to slow down very quickly - all that mass behind reacts by pushing into the head car.

A train can be limited in its overall speed limit, but the engineer has to slow down for the stations, signals or curves him/her self. They have cab notifications that would give them a warning but nothing that can take over like an autopilot on a plane.

I used to think this country needed high speed rail c2c, like under a day NY > CA - but now I just think we need some Jetsons or Star Trek stuff stat -
    Ya I could see that. The first car does seem to pile in and jump up then head off the track. Don't see that every day.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    How about a plague that'd kill off 99% of the worlds population? Solve most problems.
    Unlikely to speed up transportation much, although there'd be plenty of room to walk on the freeways until they finish crumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Hey, I'm all for Star Trek transporters. It's possible, I guess. That show predicted the flip phone, right?
    ...and the tablet computer/e-reader. Where's my transporter and food replicator? I would even settle for a Sirius Cybernetics nutramatic.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    What, because Spain is not the next revolution /blow up country? IMO, It certainly very will might be, now (not because of this), after greece, egypt, ongoing in Syria.

These people live in FIELDS of public housing. GHETTOS, concrete fields of high rises for huge swaths of the earth.

The pigs are showing unrelenting greed over Oil.

A human, train operator, with a wanton/wonton disregard for human life- a hopelessness and despair exists when people generally have "everything" and someone can still do this.

Shits fucked, " Berko" and maybe you are part of the problem.

An energy/economy shift must occur soon, and it is highly ironic this happening to a mass transit solution attempting to disperse over populated areas energy costs, with the general human condition showing its sickness.
    I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. And, as usual, neither do you.

I was trying to convey (too subtly apparently) that you are the posterboy for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Between your conspicuous lack of knowledge on the topics you give advice on, and the half baked theories and credos you blithely throw out when you've been called on your bullshit, you really take the above concept to a new and daring level.

I know I should just chalk you up as a crazy diamond and let you shine on, but a diamond implies worth and I have never seen you post anything that would be considered valuable unless you count being an example in the negative.
    In with the 9.

WTF are you guys talking about? What the hell does DasBlunt have to do with the train crash in Spain?

The train driver was reading one of his posts and he was all like "El WTF???" Then he crashed. It all ties together.

^^^El LoL
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

You thought that whole affair was funny? For fucks sake, you helped rob a man of his livelihood. The only thing I want to know is if he got a job elsewhere in Utah. Then I'd be happy.
    He was not fired. He was reassigned in the same company.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    No, he's not working in Utah.
    Just like this train operator.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    He was not fired. He was reassigned in the same company.
    Total bullshit, he was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    I have no idea what the fuck you are talking about. And, as usual, neither do you.

I was trying to convey (too subtly apparently) that you are the posterboy for the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Between your conspicuous lack of knowledge on the topics you give advice on, and the half baked theories and credos you blithely throw out when you've been called on your bullshit, you really take the above concept to a new and daring level.

I know I should just chalk you up as a crazy diamond and let you shine on, but a diamond implies worth and I have never seen you post anything that would be considered valuable unless you count being an example in the negative.
    You have no substance, shit flys over your head and you can't figure it out; classic part of The problem.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Total bullshit, he was fired.
    If that is the truth, good. I heard he was reassigned also good. A hot head asshole like that should Not be around the public. Just like this train operator.

Terje was right.

OK, that's it, you just jumped right off the cliff into total asshole land by reposting that shit.

OK, that's it, you just jumped right off the cliff into total asshole land by reposting that shit.
    It is funny. The train crash is Spain was not funny, but this train crash in Utah was.
    Terje was right.

Whut?

If either that Patroller or Instructor got in trouble for what happened in that video I say good. Don't want to lose your job? Don't be a dick for no fucking reason.

Still don't get what the hell this has to do with the Spanish train?

Was that old timer troller yer brother Benny?

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post

I just want to compliment this solid ownage.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Yeah. That had to hurt a bit.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    It's a train crash and the regular jackasses are jackassing up the whole thing. out of the whole shitshow comes a gem like el WTF. At least there's some redeeming feature to the last dozen or so posts.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

This dude is taking it up the ass which in part may be deserved but in part is an attempt to protect the Spanish train industry and deflect criticism about trying to do this shit on the cheap.

The Spanish rail company has pending contracts in Russia, Brazil and the USA.

This portion of track if I understand correctly was done on the cheap and conforms to some kind of domestic spanish system in which it tells you slow down, you then ok it and after this actually slow down. The driver did the first two but never actually slowed down.

Alternatively the rest of the line is on the ETCS which is a cab signaling system which would have automatically overrode driver inputs if it calculated that the train was going too fast to make the turn.

I'm not saying the driver didn't really fuck up, I'm saying he isn't the singular reason the train crashed. Modern train safety systems are pretty damn good at preventing this kind of shit but they are going to try to stick this guy with 100% of the blame because of money and because they designed this shit on the cheap.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

What I read is that the high speed lines in europe have limiters that apply the brakes based on location and speed. This accident occurred where the local rules take effect and the braking is left up to the driver. The computer knows where they are and how fast they should be traveling but does not slow the train down itself.

I'm curious where the engine is in the first car. It looks like the tail of that car or the front of the first passenger car came off first. It seems to me that the front of the train would be the first off, but depending on how the wheels work and where the mass is, I could see it might work differently.

Seems he slammed on the brakes and the train accordioned together - the momentum carrying the 2nd or 3rd car off the track first, then pulling the locomotive off.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Seems he slammed on the brakes and the train accordioned together - the momentum carrying the 2nd or 3rd car off the track first, then pulling the locomotive off.
    I think because the engine is much heavier than the passenger cars, it would stay on the tracks longer. I know that does not seem to make sense but I believe that's how it works.

As I listed in the Original post, my first knee jerk reaction to this was, The Guy did this on purpose. He knew the corner was cumming, he had some kinda episode? and caused this to happen with Malice, or a least a complete disregard for the humans he was responsible for.

Pilots don't' just fly the plane into the ground,
    Bus Drivers don't just drive off cliff's
    This is kinda the same thing.

And I suspect all of the above has happened some where at some time.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Makes some sense. I really don't know anything about how trains operate. There must be brakes on all the cars the way larger trailers do?

I agree that it does seem hard for this to have been a complete accident. It's not the train was only slightly above the recommended speed.

All I got from this thread is that there is a Diane Kruger effect.

I could go for that.
    I still call it The Jake.