Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Alaska fishing trip - information needed.

I just found out I am headed to Alaska for a week of work related/sponsored recreation. We are flying into Glacier Bay and will be put up in a lodge and taken out into the bay to fish for halibut for a week.
    Sounds great, but I I go all the way to Alaska and don't throw a fly around at least once I will be very disappointed in myself. The lodge owner has told me there are several streams in the area that I can fish, but they are a halibut operation and he can't offer me much advice...
    So what I need to know ( I am assuming I won't have a local fly shop to bribe with beers while I am there). Is what rod (s) to take from my arsenal of 4,5,6,7 and 10 weights... What kind of bugs I should bring (going the week of September 9th....
    Anything else I should know would be much appreciated!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

should be plenty of silvers around and dollies. I don't know much about sport fishing. Found this study.
    http://www.nature.nps.gov/water/fish...lba_salmon.pdf
    If for some reason they can't hook you up in Glacier Bay, feel free to contact me should be home around second week of September. usually excellent silver fishing here.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Anything else I should know would be much appreciated!

You should know that I am envious, hope you catch many toads up there!

Thanks BFD! And TC, I am glad to know that. Hopefully this will result in some sweet pictures or screaming reels and salmon...
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I'd bring a 5 or 6wt and an 8wt if you can. Mostly an egg game in my experience but I don't know that area well. I'd have some attractor nymphs and a bunch of streamers too. Vary the colors from bright, steelhead/salmon stuff to some trout colors.

I'm no AK expert! Take locals advice before mine!

Thanks Schwerty! That is kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. It just happens I have the perfect 6 weight for the trip

That'll treat you well up there.

Teleee, if you have any questions give Alaska Fly Fishing Goods a call, Brad Elffers is the
    owner and would be a good starting point for local info, he runs the only fly shop here in
    juneau, and knows daily which patterns are working,

sept. is probably my favorite month to fish up here, the cohos are bright and moving into the streams in good numbers.
    I've had best luck using flashy streamers, dollys and cutts in the streams feeding on eggs, so Egg patterns and flesh flies are effective.

the downside of sept. here is that it can rain,,,alot. don't be surprised if the streams
    run high and murky, which can put the fish off, but the summer has been pretty dry this year.

so, if this weather trend continues you should have a great time, Gustavus is a bit drier than juneau , so you have that in your favor . Good luck
    Last edited by tgray; 07-26-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo

Too bad you're not coming to Seward I could catch you nice halibut ling cod salmon whateva.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

I fished the west coast of AK (so I don't know if this is good advice for the southeast rivers) but the one pattern that got tore up by almost every species in the river was the egg-sucking leech, especially effective tied in purple or black. Simple pattern that nobody in the lower 48 seems to use, just a peach glo bug at the tip of a wooly bugger.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 07-27-2013 at 08:21 AM.

Great info from everyone thanks for all the beta. I am getting pretty stoked. Pretty crazy to think that this year I will have fished in both Alaska and Key West.

Pm me, I'd be happy to talk with you about specifics
    I leave Saturday back out to the bush to finish off my season
    http://www.larsenbaylodge.com/

5 or 6 for Pinks
    -flesh flies all day and egg patterns
    -egg sucking leach in black and purple too

7 or 8 for Sockeye
    -flossing, as they really aren't biting so much, simple darker colors, no flash

7 or 8 for Chum
    -dark colors or flesh lower in the water column
    -a bright one smokes well

7 or 8 for Silvers
    -big chartreuse with black also magenta and pink or purple combos are my favorites
    -a bit of blue flashaboo has some mojo as well
    -I really like articulated flies with tons of movement

9 or 10 for Kings
    -Big, blue, black, purple some flash with chartreuse or magenta
    -mix this all up, my favorite looks like the Seattle Seahawks unis

4-6 for Dollies
    -beads in current and smaller pink/orange revolutions/shrimp
    -they respond to movement in still water
    -cook a shore lunch with coals and foil!

To note: I mainly fish weighted lines and shorter leaders but just increase the length of your leader to achieve a similar flow (or plunk on a shot) -no judging

You know, we had clients who limited out+ catching halibut from 15-40 lbs on 10 wt fly rods
    -we attached a small sacrificial barrel, 1-2oz or so, onto a rubber band about 8 inches above a big ass king fly with some bait and mini jigged those puppies in
    -I was pretty surprised no rods were broken as they were completely doubled over, it was rowdy!

Fly rods and reels can fit into some rod holders for trolling salmon as well.
    -and black bass will take flies like crazy right at the surface if you chum them up

Have a blast
    -it started raining yesterday!

Last edited by DeathVan; 08-13-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Added pic

Death van that is awesome I will indeed be sending you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tgray View Post
    Teleee, if you have any questions give Alaska Fly Fishing Goods a call, Brad Elffers is the
    owner and would be a good starting point for local info, he runs the only fly shop here in
    juneau, and knows daily which patterns are working,

sept. is probably my favorite month to fish up here, the cohos are bright and moving into the streams in good numbers.
    I've had best luck using flashy streamers, dollys and cutts in the streams feeding on eggs, so Egg patterns and flesh flies are effective.

the downside of sept. here is that it can rain,,,alot. don't be surprised if the streams
    run high and murky, which can put the fish off, but the summer has been pretty dry this year.

so, if this weather trend continues you should have a great time, Gustavus is a bit drier than juneau , so you have that in your favor . Good luck
    Thanks man, great advice I spent an hour on the phone with Brad who was a wealth of information and gave me a solid hook up on a selection of flies...

Bumping this old thread as my wife was just told she HAD to go to AK. Just booked flights in Aug 10 out Aug 21. My wife has a work event the 10-14th at Alyeska. She then heads home and my plan is to meet up with my parents and we (dad and I) are looking to hit a couple spots targeting silvers, dollies on the Kenai and they would like to go to McKinley, seeking out trout along the way too. Last time we were there was 30years ago and we could really use some local input on where to base ourselves out of for 2-3 day excursions. Is staying around Soldotna on the Kenai the best bet? When we depart the peninsula is there any where you would recommend?

Basically...how and where would you spend those 6 days?

Appreciate any and all input.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I fished the west coast of AK (so I don't know if this is good advice for the southeast rivers) but the one pattern that got tore up by almost every species in the river was the egg-sucking leech, especially effective tied in purple or black. Simple pattern that nobody in the lower 48 seems to use, just a peach glo bug at the tip of a wooly bugger.
    Never fished in AK, sorry no advice for the OP. But I have fished for salmon and trout in rivers connected to Lake Michigan and can say with confidence the fish in those rivers dig the egg sucking leech. Black and dark colors with an orange colored bead (egg).

When you get here go to Safeway or Fred Meyers and buy a book called the highway angler. You should for sure come to Seward and do a charter on my boat though.

Thanks Jed! I was curious if you were back on your boat. I saw your post above from a few years back but had since seen you at Alpy. I knew you headed back up but I was unsure what you were up to back in AK. When you get the chance, would you PM me the details on your charter. Highway Angler has been ordered.

This is the boat I’m running this year.

Carl and Aurora Charters has been in Seward a long long time...Good people.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Bumping this old thread as my wife was just told she HAD to go to AK. Just booked flights in Aug 10 out Aug 21. My wife has a work event the 10-14th at Alyeska. She then heads home and my plan is to meet up with my parents and we (dad and I) are looking to hit a couple spots targeting silvers, dollies on the Kenai and they would like to go to McKinley, seeking out trout along the way too. Last time we were there was 30years ago and we could really use some local input on where to base ourselves out of for 2-3 day excursions. Is staying around Soldotna on the Kenai the best bet? When we depart the peninsula is there any where you would recommend?

Basically...how and where would you spend those 6 days?

Appreciate any and all input.

Been pecking at this one since this morning, so forgive the disjointed feel...

You have to be lucky to be able to see Denali in August - so make that 400-mile call on the ground when you get here. If DNP is socked in, you ain't gonna see the big mountains.
    But most tour bus seats are booked well in advance, so if it's fair it's hard to get into the Park to a place you can see big white mountains at all. Solution is flightsee from ANC or Talkeetna...if the weather cooperates.

Fishing
    Spend at least your first day on the Upper or Middle Kenai River with a guide. Troutfitters or The Kenai Cache are the top outfits. You'll be swinging beads for trout, flossing reds, and maybe beaching the boat to floss reds and sling for silvers with high quality gear. Most importantly, you'll be getting a clue. (eg: Yeah, an 8wt Sage is sometimes a little light for Kenai trout... )

Alaskans don't angle for salmon as much as "gather" them. Meat - get sum. Salmon runs bring out all the riffraff. Your guide will sneer at flossing reds...But a good one will get a happy boat limited as fast as possible, so as to concentrate on the real fishing...

Most of the road-accessible Kenai River is for salmon, and crowds typically mean lots of fish to be had. 2nd week of August usually means silvers too. The clue you got from your guide on day 1 will continue to serve in most walk-in fishing along the major streams. Trout in all the salmon streams will be feasting on 7mm sockeye eggs. Some streams demand 6mm beads, some 8mm - But you'll be swinging beads if you want to catch rainbows and Dollies when salmon are spawning.

Places in ANC, Cooper Landing, and Sterling will rent you a boat and trailer (canoe, kayak, raft, packraft...), but that's not necessarily as economical as it is with a group of 4.

Big smoky fire burning N of the Sterling Hwy will prob be out by 2nd week of Aug. But high water conditions from the accelerated melt this year may not improve.
    The Russian River is the best road accessible trout stream you've prob ever seen, if you like sight-casting to big hungry fish in 2' of water. Other headwaters of the Kenai are awesome too, but that Russian is crazy good, even with all the traffic.
    Lots of places to stay in Cooper Landing, or thereabouts, if your tolerance for the spectacular drive back/forth from Girdwood is low (lots of construction around Turnagain Arm this year).

The Kasilof is also a great river with kings and reds and silvers and big trout, but has limited road access and you really need a guide or lots of time to learn it.

Anchorage is prob the best outdoor shopping and aviation town in America. You can find what you need with no sales tax. You can go anywhere from Lake Hood or Merrill Field with a nonchalant phone call and a few moments notice. Bush pilots love to get phone calls and fly at the drop of a hat. Some of them really like to fish too. Homer and Soldotna are also really easy places to fly out from.

That was considerably more thought out than my response.

Damn. Now that’s some Grade A shit.

I greatly appreciate all of the knowledge!

Jed- My father gets ridiculously sea sick so I fear deep sea fishing for Halibut might be awful for him. Not sure there is enough dramamine in AK to keep him from puking. He is out for ocean festivities and small plane air travel. Helicopters are permitted for emergency evacuations only (his words). I will have to play by ear.

highangle- I greatly appreciate the detailed reply.

Denali has been pushed to the back burner and is now 100% weather dependent. Most likely saving it for a future time of year with a better weather window.

I will be contacting both troutfitters and the cache about their availability during our visit. We will for sure be getting educated from a local guide to set us up for success during our visit.

I totally understand on the fires, I was just having dinner the other night with a guy from Wasilla and he was saying how awful the fires were already this year. Sound like our time is best spent in the Kenai.

The bead game is real. 2FUNKY gave me the heads up when we were out on the river last week and highangle took it to the next level.

FlowingA - Thanks! So far so good. Just much slower then I ever expected but it for sure beats the alternative.

Thanks again all!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    That was considerably more thought out than my response.
    You covered the saltwater...Except Kim's place at the harbor with the Kaladi Bros coffee...