Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sac Mags...Sugarbowl or Sierra?

Looks my job will be taking me from SLC to the Sacramento area in the next few months. I'll be working in Rancho and likely living up 50 toward Folsom. Already thinking about a pass. Seems Sugarbowl or Sierra at Tahoe would be the call. I lived in Reno a few years back and skied Sugarbowl frequently so it's a known commodity. Sierra is a question mark as is the winter drive up 50 from Folsom. Any thoughts?

Feel free to Jong the shit out of me if this is in the wrong place.
    rip

I'd do my math:

http://www.sugarbowl.com/seasonpass

https://www.sierraattahoe.com/ticket...son-pass-rates

also, if you buy a pricey Squaw/Alpine pass, it also includes Sierra.
    that said, i'm not 100% sure if you buy a Sierra pass if it's good at Squaw./Alpine, so i'd call them to find out.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Either way have fun with the drive. Both are fun

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums

Compared to the passes in the Cottonwoods both are a bargain so not too concerned about that. Mostly looking for info on logistics. Is the drive up 50 considerably worse than up 80? If it matters I mostly ski mid week so wouldn't have to deal with the Bay Area weekend craziness. Never skied at Sierra, but heard it's a decent little area, ala Mt. Rose. True?

If it's mid-week, either road should be fine.

I'd consider a Sierra pass and the restricted "Tahoe Value Pass":

TAHOE VALUE PASS - SKI OR RIDE 7 DAYS A WEEK AT HEAVENLY & 6 DAYS A WEEK AT NORTHSTAR & KIRKWOOD.
    Access to Heavenly, Northstar & Kirkwood with limited restrictions. All Saturdays restricted at Northstar & Kirkwood. $52 pass holder tickets available for purchase during blackout dates at Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood.

$389 Adult / $309 Senior & Teen / $189 Child / $329 College
    Pays for itself in less than 4 days.
    The board has a heavy Kirkwood contingent in the Tahoe thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Enjoy working in Rancho Cambodia...

I'm partial to Sugar Bowl, to me 4 lanes over 2 makes a huge difference when chain controls are in effect. I was usually able to make it from Rocklin to Sugar Bowl in a tad over an hour unless things were really shitty. Both places ride well on storm days, I always thought SB had more fun terrain and it's got a lot of BC options. It's a pretty easy shot from Folsom over to 80. If I was sticking to the 50/88 side I would get a pass that included Kirkwood as previously mentioned. As Daron Rahlves told me once - I go to Sugar Bowl to ski, I go every where else to stand in line and be social.

Thanks snpat. Yeah, SB is a fun skiing little resort. Had many great days over there when I lived in Reno. I was in Sac this weekend for some house hunting and drove up 50 to Sierra just to check it out. The resort looks decent from the parking lot. A few obvious steeper shots and a bunch of trees. Seems the road past Strawberry could get pretty ugly in full winter conditions. That's what started me thinking about doing the 80 drive to Sugarbowl. I'm definitely with you on the 4 lanes vs 2 when it's puking, even if it is slightly longer mileage. Thanks for the input.

I live in the Folsom area and work at a certain resort in South Lake during the winter; if I was commuting in order to ski I would probably go with Sugarbowl. 50 is definitely a headache after it dumps due to people scrambling to get to Sierra, Heavenly and Kirkwood, so having only two lanes creates a lot of choke points. Lots of backcountry options out by Sugarbowl too including Castle Peak, Donner, Mt. Lola, etc.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    I have no recent knowledge of the drives since I'm heading from the east in Nevada.

You might want to consider the price (currently $369) and added benefits of an unlimited Sierra Pass.
    Early, a little mid, and late season Squaw and Alpine (opening-12/20, 1/12-1/17 and 4/14-closing)
    3 free days (Sun.-Fri. non-holiday) at 11 different Powder Alliance resorts if you plan to make any trips next winter. (They just added Snowbasin if you head back to Utah.)

At that price you might even be able to afford a second pass.

P.S. I wish that the Kirkwood Network passes were still offered, because they were a great deal.

@Vets...thanks for the tip. I didn't read the fine print on the unlimited pass at Sierra. That is a screaming deal. Decisions, decisions.

Sierra-Alpine-Squaw. Done.

Never rode SB, but think Sierra's one of the more underrated resorts. All below treeline, no wide open steeps, long lift lines, next after next after next after.... What's to like? Get into the trees and boulder fields and find out. Very unique terrain offer's an all-mountain freestyler's dream.

Kirkwood is flat, crowded and gets no snow now that vail bought the ops.

That said, driving around Folsom lake to get to 80 will drive you nuts, depending on where you end up**. Heave, N*, Kwood pass will be a better commute option.

That said, Sierra is a storm day dream. Good trees, wind sheltered, and they maintain US-50.

**edit: Listen to Tyrone, not me. Tyrone lives in Folsom.
    Last edited by DJSapp; 07-25-2013 at 10:39 AM.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Duuuude View Post
    Lots of backcountry options out by Sugarbowl too including Mt. Lola, etc.
    not sure i would consider Mt. Lola being all that close to Sugar Bowl...

but you do have the previously mentioned Castle Peak, Donner Ridge, as well as Negro Canyon, and, of course, the PCT, as accessed from Donner Pass ("Poop Chute" and all the stuff up Mt. Judah and out Mt. Lincoln, as well as down to Donner Lake).

additionally, if you do go the SB route, you can augment your pass with a Boreal night pass in order to maximize your skiing day...just a thought.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Traffic is not all that bad of you figure out the timing... I would choose wherever you have more buddies skiing. There is really only one bad resort in Tahoe - and we all know which one that is...

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

if i lived in the folsom area, i'd get a pass for kirkwood, and enjoy the beautiful foothill backroads to get to hwy 88.

SaT!

Ooh. Tough call in many ways.
    Both "underappreciated" Resorts. Both favorites of mine.
    Similar vert and kind-of a lack of gnar (the short shots of SB Palisades/Lincoln & ST Huckleberry/East-of-East/Preachers/Jacks notwithstanding)

Why don't you post up a Poll and see what numbers you get?

As you've already skied at SB I'd say go to ST! But you have got to like tree-skiing!!

...Although they are putting in a new lift to replace Crows Nest at SB...
    ...and did they have Summit Chair when you skied there?

As far as 80 vs 50 goes, many here will point out that you seem to get a lot more "Troubles" up on 80, so more closures...at least that's how it seems to me...
    (What do I know, I ride the Bus)

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

ime, 80 can be a total shit show because of the quantity of vehicles and the big rigs. there are ways to bypass some of the madness, but when it's closed, it's closed, and the bypasses are closed, too. 50 can also close (less frequent), which can really suck because communication infrastructure (like cell service) is spotty and closures are not always clear whether they are long term (overnight) or short term (accident or avi control). in many areas, there are no bypasses on 50.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    There is really only one bad resort in Tahoe - and we all know which one that is...
    GRANLI-MOTHERFUCKIN-BAKKEN!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

No love for Donner ski ranch ?

I would drive from the outer sunset in SF to Sugar Bowl for their half price weds a lot in the late 90's. that mtn is fun.
    Top of the Food Chain for White Trash America

Hum, you cannot go wrong either way.
    I see you are all about the skiing.

what seems to be a bigger factor is what the winter will be like.
    History says after two low seasons This year should be average.
    Sierra @ Tahoe will pretty much be open all the time, Hwy 50 on week days rough but reliable.

Sugar Bowl I believe has less overhead for travel and getting on snow and maybe a bit more big terrain. Less park influence. Big storms may shut you down a few day, either delays on 80 or Wind hold at the ski area.

My gut says Sugar Bowl this year. But really who knows.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

That said, driving around Folsom lake to get to 80 will drive you nuts, depending on where you end up.
    I've lived in Folsom for about 12 years and it only takes 20 minutes from my driveway to get up to 80 at Newcastle/Loomis via very nice chill quiet country roads. Hardly anything to make someone go nuts over.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I've lived in Folsom for about 12 years and it only takes 20 minutes from my driveway to get up to 80 at Newcastle/Loomis via very nice chill quiet country roads. Hardly anything to make someone go nuts over.
    Well, never mind then. I thought from Rancho/Folsom you'd go up Hazel/Sierra College, which can be a traffic nightmare. Apparently there's a better way.

That said, I am also violently opposed to the traffic clusterfuck of 89/80 coming home on a Sunday, or god forbid a holiday weekend.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Thanks for all the input. Super helpful. Right now I'm leaning toward the unlimited Sierra pass. Having Squaw and Alpine for early and late season is a really nice perk.

Quote Originally Posted by ripvw View Post
    Thanks for all the input. Super helpful. Right now I'm leaning toward the unlimited Sierra pass. Having Squaw and Alpine for early and late season is a really nice perk.
    Good call. Sierra has such unique terrain, you certainly won't regret at least a season skiing there. Also a week in January with Squaw & Alpine access. One thing you may want to consider is a group ski lease in Myers or S. Lake Tahoe. You can usually find some groups looking for new members on craigslist (or maybe here). $800 for your share of access to a local cabin for a season is worth it. 20 minutes from Sierra to SLT versus 1.5 hours from sac.

@Gaintsteps I'd actually never heard of the ski lease thing until a few weeks ago. That would be a killer way to get a winter crash pad. Not exactly sure how most of them work however. For your money do you get unlimited access or are most of them run more like a time share where you would need to choose specific days/ time periods?