Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Has the Brahma upstaged the MX88?

I read a review where a former MX88 skier said the Brahma is the new gold standard for 88mm skis, and has eschewed his white and orange skis.

Or are they different enough that a quiver has a place for both?

No. I love the Bonafide and Cochise, but wasn't all that excited by the Brahma myself. Not a bad ski but I wasn't blown away or anything.

I find them super different. And I love both for different reasons (but own neither, though I will be getting a Brahma this season)

If you are looking to just lay trenches on piste, like going very fast, and generally staying in one radius/shape turn, the MX wins. I found it more stable for sure. Edge contact through to the tail of the ski.

If you want a bit more of a versatile everyday ski, little better in the soft stuff, little easier at real quick turns, playful but damp and stable, the Brahma wins IMO. Remember the tip and subtle tail rocker on the Blizz skis, where the MX series remains a traditionally cambered ski for us traditional tip drivers. Blizz can be rolled more, allows a bit more of a neutral stance.

i have skied each about 4-5 days, but in what I consider their conditions; predominant piste that had days of bullet hardpack, and up to 4-5" of new snow on bumps and piste.

And, to go off of Tahoe J, I loved the Cochise, was always unimpressed by the Bonafide , and loved the Brahma. But I am one (east coaster with 1/5 of season out west/on road), who can live without a 90something ski. Give me mid 80s for front side, 105-115 for big mtn/bc, and up to 120mm for pow.

I agree that 90-somethings are superfluous. <75 for smooth/ice, but then a need to jump up to 88 for even resort-groomers that get cut-up late in the day, and then >105 for any amount of new snow.

I also wasn't particularly blown away by the Brahma, but the Bushwacker was my favorite ski, and I figure the metal has to be good for everything the Bushwacker couldn't do well. Quite frankly, they felt very similar.

The Skis.com video review crew was blown away by the Brahma (all 5/5 ratings, except for the little dude who acknowledged why he didn't like it).

But then every review I read of MX88 indicates it is the second coming... simply the best ski made.

Kastle's ski finder said I should be on a 188. I entered in all my info honestly, and it registered 188. Even by my standards, that is a little long. Of course, not really if us USA folks remember that 1 inch is 2.5 cm... But anyway, you taller, bigger guys must be SOL when it comes to ski length selection, if I indeed should be on a 188 in that ski.

I will say, however, that I might like the Brahma more on the east coast, but don't see the point out west for the most part (I'd rather just ski the Bonafide).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    I read a review where a former MX88 skier said the Brahma is the new gold standard for 88mm skis, and has eschewed his white and orange skis.

Or are they different enough that a quiver has a place for both?
    Hmm. Who could you be referring to? Yeah, the MX88 is still a stellar ski and to an extent a timeless ski even though it hasn't changed in 6 years. I have had 2-3 pair of MX88's and now some Brahmas. While the MX88 wins in the hard snow comparison the Brahma wins in versatility and off piste ski ability. The MX88 does have something on the Brahma but not at 2x the price. It really comes back to how a ski fits in your quiver, east/west and what works for you.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    It really comes back to how a ski fits in your quiver, east/west and what works for you.
    I think this is pretty much the key. For me, and my pair of SuperBros, I would rather have the versatility of the Brahma. When I need speed only for ripping piste only, well there is a ski for that ready to roll. But, man, they are both fantastic. Have fun with the choice. It is nice to have two right answers.

Will a Griffon emasculate an MX88?

I am compelled to contribute to this, the longest thread in TGR history about 88mm waist skis. Carry on, gents.

Will a Griffon emasculate an MX88?
    No but there are better choices. Pivots would be my first suggestion, the new Salomon Sth2 13 if you are on the budget end.
    Click. Point. Chute.

As everyone else has said, very different skis. I prefer to to have both types. The Brahma is ponderous going in and coming out of turns, but is easily slarved and manuevered. Lay it on edge though and you get good stability. The MX88 is precise, direct and stable all the time, but can't break out as easily.

For me, I like the old Head m103 as the MX88 is a bit softer than I like when I want that kind of ski. I also like the larger radius - better for breaking out in a speed check.

For hardpack:

Alpine = Head m103
    Bumps, trees, chutes, steeps, billygoating = Brahma
    On-piste = fun carver (early season only, really)

The MX88 would fill the role of both on-piste and alpine for me, while being not quite as perfect for both.

I wish they made a longer radius version of the Brahma. It would work better in the alpine if they did. As is, it's more of a blend of on-piste and bumps/etc. ski. I'd prefer a blend of alpine and bumps/etc. I guess the target market is East Coast.

I'm interested in this as a Prophet 90 alternative.

Prophet has been my everyday Australia ski, I've had 2 pairs but like the sound of the Brahma.

Very much enjoy my Kabookie as a touring ski.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CarveMan View Post
    I'm interested in this as a Prophet 90 alternative.

Prophet has been my everyday Australia ski, I've had 2 pairs but like the sound of the Brahma.

Very much enjoy my Kabookie as a touring ski.

Thoughts?
    I currently have both a Bonafide and a Brahma. I will say that these skis feel very similar and IMHO would be overlap in a traditional quiver I think that you will find the same with a Kabookie.
    Click. Point. Chute.

What does anyone think about mounting a race binding (Marker Comp 16) directly onto an MX88?

Yeah, only two toe screws, but that's not uncommon. I really like the dampening of the Comp 16.

What does anyone think about mounting a race binding (Marker Comp 16) directly onto an MX88?

Yeah, only two toe screws, but that's not uncommon. I really like the dampening of the Comp 16.
    Comp 16's have 3 screws on the toe but sure. Depending on how you wanted to use the MX88, I wouldn't shy away from going a full race plate set up also. If another pair of MX88's (or even MX83's) fell into my lap< would be going with either a Sally Sth Steel or Look Pivot 15/18.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I've demoed both, and I own a Bonafide and MX78.

The Brahma is more user friendly than the MX88. It seemed to be saying "hey, I'm really versatile, just relax" where the MX was more rewarding but also more demanding. I think the Brahma would be better suited to a larger group of skier than the Kastle.

I'm stuck with both.

Question is: which will be the "narrow" ski on my ski trips?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I am compelled to contribute to this, the longest thread in TGR history about 88mm waist skis. Carry on, gents.
    Agreed, well done gents.

I loved my Head IM88's til they eventually noodled and delammed a whiel back. The MX88's have worked well as a replacement, but are not as playful off-piste. Yes, I can make them work like the old days if needed, but the stiffness and flat tail don't make it easy. I demo'd the Rossi Experience 88 and thought it was a more user friendly alternative to the Kastle, but didn't get much time off-piste with them. Decided I would try out the mythical MX88 when I found a sweet deal on the clymb last year.

Overall, I love the precision of the MX88. When it hasn't snowed in a while,they can be fun to use for poking around the mountain looking for stashes, then ripping trenches back to the lift. That can make for a very fun day.
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

What length Brahma should I go with? I'm 5'11" 190 and ski pretty well. Will be used as a frontside ski on the East Coast. I had a pair of 185 Cochises last season that worked well for me and I'm leaning towards a 187 Brahma, but curious what other people think.

187 for sure

Quote Originally Posted by LSWillia View Post
    What length Brahma should I go with? I'm 5'11" 190 and ski pretty well. Will be used as a frontside ski on the East Coast. I had a pair of 185 Cochises last season that worked well for me and I'm leaning towards a 187 Brahma, but curious what other people think.
    I am your size. Since you have the 185 Cochise for a big ski, I would suggest the 180 Brahma. It will be more fun in the eastern bumps, trees and narrower trails.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by LSWillia View Post
    I'm 5'10" 180. I have 185 Cochises for skiing hard, and 180 Bushwackers (same shape as Brahmas, but only has metal under foot) for skiing with wife, mom and nephews. The Bushwackers have a speed limit on open terrain, but the length (and flex) are great for typical east coast terrain and bumps at sub-light speeds. I think either 180 or 187 would work well for you. What is ideal would depend on what you want to use the skis for.
    Last edited by I've seen black diamonds!; 10-17-2013 at 09:12 AM.

I'd definitely say 180. Like Phil said, the only reason to get the 187 is if you want to crush open terrain in the alpine West, but the Cochise will do that quite well too, so get something smaller for bumps, trees, and tight techical terrain.

I agree that 90-somethings are superfluous. <75 for smooth/ice, but then a need to jump up to 88 for even resort-groomers that get cut-up late in the day, and then >105 for any amount of new snow.

The Skis.com video review crew was blown away by the Brahma (all 5/5 ratings, except for the little dude who acknowledged why he didn't like it).
    Wow, you live up to your moniker. Referencing Skis.com reviews from some little shit hill in the Midwest after some jong takes two runs down 450' of vert on something? Srsly?

And 90's are very versatile. You don't need 3 skis to do what a 98mm Mantra or Experience can do. They both will rail ice all day and everything up to boot tops.

Thanks Everyone! I've sold my Cochises to fund these Brahmas so it looks like I have some thinking to do. My other pair of skis is a 184 Wailer 99, that I am looking to sell to get a 110-115 mm powder ski. Trying to decide between the DPS Wailer 112 RP in a 190 or the RPC in 186. So many decisions to make!