Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Blizzard seems to have had that problem with all of its skis....always. Other than the Titan Pro, every Blizzard that I have skied (currently own Cochise and Bushwacker) is a bit too damp, or mushy, for me to get really excited about. I can't say that for any of my Kastles (MX98 and BMX128).
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Gaperious Basterd View Post
    Is the Magnum 8.5 ti a bit beefier than the Brahma?

The speed limit when railing is annoying.

These Brahmas are so soft. This can be good sometimes and bad sometimes.
    no the 8.5ti sucks, I owned a pair (albeit in a short 174cm) and the Brahma in a 180cm does EVERYTHING better. The 181cm 8.5 was a handful in bumps but not really a step up over either the 180cm Brahma or 174cm 8.5ti. I think 98mm skis are better for "rally" on personally but if you want a 88mm ski that is stiffer than a brahma check out the new Monsters from head.

I have my 180cm Brahmas mounted +1 and they for sure prefer a SL or medium carved turned and basically grip carving and steering with ease. Really good on groomer or skied out bump runs, can be alittle sinky for some woods runs. Not bad in open powder but then again what is bad in open powder?

Leaning brahma but how does the rossi exp 88 compare? No metal has some concerns for me.....for a daily driver in Pa....firm/mixed conditions usually. Already have something for pure frontside and something for pow trips up.north.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    Leaning brahma but how does the rossi exp 88 compare? No metal has some concerns for me.....for a daily driver in Pa....firm/mixed conditions usually. Already have something for pure frontside and something for pow trips up.north.
    The old Experience was a better and easier carver that did not feel as vague but I find the Brahma more fun in more all mountain style skiing and still hold just as good of edge just a little more vague on initiation. . The new E88 one is meh and feels wimpy to me.

Has the Brahma upstaged the MX88?

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    no the 8.5ti sucks, I owned a pair (albeit in a short 174cm) and the Brahma in a 180cm does EVERYTHING better. The 181cm 8.5 was a handful in bumps but not really a step up over either the 180cm Brahma or 174cm 8.5ti. I think 98mm skis are better for "rally" on personally but if you want a 88mm ski that is stiffer than a brahma check out the new Monsters from head.

I have my 180cm Brahmas mounted +1 and they for sure prefer a SL or medium carved turned and basically grip carving and steering with ease. Really good on groomer or skied out bump runs, can be alittle sinky for some woods runs. Not bad in open powder but then again what is bad in open powder?
    Ok thnx, I won't get it nor look at the 8.5 ti (srs).

The Brahma is like >>so great<< until it's not. Maybe that calls for demo of carving skis.

Ok thnx, I won't get it nor look at the 8.5 ti (srs).

The Brahma is like >>so great<< until it's not. Maybe that calls for demo of carving skis.
    maybe some hendryx? http://hendryxskis.com/skidor/917/ If you want Brahma like dimensions and full camber.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    The old Experience was a better and easier carver that did not feel as vague but I find the Brahma more fun in more all mountain style skiing and still hold just as good of edge just a little more vague on initiation. . The new E88 one is meh and feels wimpy to me.
    Pretty much what i heard....maybe trying to appease the masses a little more.

The Brahma has delivered again, turning slush, dust on crunch, and powder all over rendezvous mountain into my personal playground.

It's awesome; just pick a line, almost any line, and go.

But then it's like, start railing off Casper chair, and feel the anxiety set in.

I've concluded that the Brahma is a narrow big mountain/off-piste ski. The metal in there was necessary to fill the void with the Bushwacker, but don't be fooled into thinking this is a carving ski.

This may be known, but I think the ski has too much of a reputation for being hard snow-biased.

But if you can rail on 25 degree groomers on these and feel comfortable, all the more power to you.

The Brahma has delivered again, turning slush, dust on crunch, and powder all over rendezvous mountain into my personal playground.

It's awesome; just pick a line, almost any line, and go.

But then it's like, start railing off Casper chair, and feel the anxiety set in.

I've concluded that the Brahma is a narrow big mountain/off-piste ski. The metal in there was necessary to fill the void with the Bushwacker, but don't be fooled into thinking this is a carving ski.

This may be known, but I think the ski has too much of a reputation for being hard snow-biased.

But if you can rail on 25 degree groomers on these and feel comfortable, all the more power to you.
    Just stand on the outside skis via Counter balance, Counter action and inside leg flexion. IMO these skis do rips on groomers assuming you can keep the speed just a tiny bit in check and throw in a stivot or too when its gets steep Compared to either my Super Bros(fast big turns) or WC SL ski(slightly slower shorter turns) they are far harder to get to hook up though....

Bump - figure this as good a place to post this as any. I've seen some pretty good deals on the discontinued 187 Blizzard Bushwacker. Have an old pair of Look ZR18 turntables to mount on them. They will be used for bumps, packed snow trees, and quick turns at modest speeds. But fairly aggressive. Will they be solid for that? Or will I fold them up like a lawn chair?

I'm about 220lb, lift weights, and usually ski 186-192cm heads, stocklis, etc. 187 Bonafieds with FKS have been my main all around ski for the last few years and are the lightest thing I normally ski. Used to have 179cm K2 Public enemies as my short bump/tree ski when I weighed about 200 lb, these Bushwackers would be the same spot in the quiver.

Or is there too much overlap? I'm also considering a replacement of the Bonafides, maybe the new quasi carbon Bonafide, or the 193 Nordica Enforcer 93. Hum.

You will overpower the Bushwacker big time. It's meant for lighter weight folks. Brahma would be your ski from that mold but overlap with Bonafide would be a little much.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    You will overpower the Bushwacker big time. It's meant for lighter weight folks. Brahma would be your ski from that mold but overlap with Bonafide would be a little much.
    Bummer, thanks! Even compared to a 179 K2 Public Enemy, which is a fairly stiff and heavy ski for it's size? What if I'm not expecting it to slay ice at 50 mph? Will be supportive enough for reasonably quick bump and tree skiing, without having to work too hard?

I have read various accounts of people in the 180-190lb range on the 180cm bushwacker, plus I'm going to put a metal race binding on it.

Replace them both with a 184 MX98. Turny, but still has the top end.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Replace them both with a 184 MX98. Turny, but still has the top end.
    Interesting choice - full camber, two sheets of metal and a 27m sidecut. I've got plenty of skis like that, but narrower and longer. Thanks, but not really what I'm looking for.

It should be noted that I also have the following skis that somewhat overlap with a 187cm bushwacker......

188 Stockli Snake BC - New, not sure if I want to use these or sell them off - metal, full camber, more beefy than BW
    179 K2 Silencer - New, not sure if I want to use these or sell them off - probably less ski than the BW?
    186 Head Mojo 94 - used good condition, not sure if I want to use these or sell them off
    186 Head Im88 ('09) - in currently in main quiver with lifted STH16 steel, carving biased
    184 Elan Mantis 662 - in extended quiver, currently unmounted, carving biased
    195 K2 AK Launcher - in extended quiver, plastic Salomons, nominally my bump ski
    179 K2 Public Enemy - Semi retired quiver, ZR15's, as discussed above

So who knows.

To be honest I never skied it, or even ever saw one for that matter and I work for Blizzard. It was never made in that size until the Brahma came out which we needed a 187 mold for. I think it was only produced for one year? Is it the somewhat transparent all blue graphic?

You might be fine on it for what you need. At 210 the 180 was not close to enough ski for me but if you aren't expecting to rail turns on hardpack and want something fun for softer bumps and trees then yeah it might not be bad.

To be honest I never skied it, or even ever saw one for that matter and I work for Blizzard. It was never made in that size until the Brahma came out which we needed a 187 mold for. I think it was only produced for one year? Is it the somewhat transparent all blue graphic?

You might be fine on it for what you need. At 210 the 180 was not close to enough ski for me but if you aren't expecting to rail turns on hardpack and want something fun for softer bumps and trees then yeah it might not be bad.
    Yeah, that's funny to hear, thanks. I almost didn't know they made them either, looks like two years actually. Just happened to come across them and thought they might be a good fit for an opening in my quiver.

On a side note, I've got a pair of 196 Bodacious to mount up, looking forward to attempting to ski those in east coast trees (pow day only). I've been on 191 head boneshakers mounted -1cm which are flat camber, the Bodacious have much more rocker so I'm hoping they are just as maneuverable. Similar weight and mount point.

Go +1.5 at least on those 196s. It makes the tails much easier to release, which you're gonna need on those skis in tight trees. Even then it's crazy how forward you can get on those skis, they're so fucking big and there's a lot of tip. They're actually really easy to pivot you just almost need to lean way out over them. Sit back and you'll get your ass kicked.

Got the 187's, they look pretty good. Definitely lightish, but moderately stiff flex. I like the partial sheet of metal underfoot. I can't imagine them blasting crud at 40+ mph, but they should be great for bumps and trees around here. Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Got the 187's, they look pretty good. Definitely lightish, but moderately stiff flex. I like the partial sheet of metal underfoot. I can't imagine them blasting crud at 40+ mph, but they should be great for bumps and trees around here. Thanks for your help!
    Bump. Some follow up on this. The Bushwhackers have been pretty great for what they are. Have about 4 days on them. They ski and pretty much feel like a lighter, quicker version of the Bonafide, definitely similar flex and very very good precision. A bit snappier and quicker turning obviously. They get a bit sketchy above 40 mph in chop, but will carve nice short GS turns in the 35-40mph range. Great short turns, bumps.

I'm wondering how the new carbon Brahma CA compares to the Bushwacker. I'm on some 17 Brahmas and they carve well but seem to lack float and are a bit much in typical east coast bumps. They sure love to run though.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    I'm wondering how the new carbon Brahma CA compares to the Bushwacker. I'm on some 17 Brahmas and they carve well but seem to lack float and are a bit much in typical east coast bumps. They sure love to run though.
    Are you on the 180 or 187? I have the 180...shortish for me and they are a definitely a handful in the bumps and when the snow is punchy but they don't run like the 187. I wonder how much ice ripping power the 2018 carbon Brahma variant give up? Might be fun if they are as lively as the metal Brahma.

I'm on the 180s. Using primarily for hard snow so want to try the new version with slightly more sidecut. The CAs look interesting to say the least.

I wanted to post an update. So I skied my own Blizzard 8.0 Ti back to back with my own Brahmas, and the former feels like a sports car while the latter feels like the antique cars at Six Flags... which of course is great off piste.

But all the Brahma allows on groomed pistes is park-and-ride (yeah, I’m not a pro racer, but no; the carving experience on the Brahma fundamentally sucks, at least compared to the 8.0 Ti)

Really, a combination between Brahma, Bonafide, Experience 100, needs to be synthesized.