Sometimes you get LUCKY

Left my bike sitting behind my car after a ride last night.
    Drove home.
    Went to bed.
    Woke up.
    Enter garage.

SLOWLY REALIZE BIKE IS NOT IN CAR.

DRY HEAVE.

Quickly check craigslist lost/found and low and behold a good Samaritan picked it up and posted a found thread.

Just picked it up and feel like a very big bullet was dodged.

nice!

my luck was similar but different last weekend.

left my bike sitting behind my truck after a ride.
    got into truck.
    put truck in reverse.
    Started backing up.
    Heard crash and was able to stop before backing over bike.

[what a dumbfuck move...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

These are warning signs related to too much marijuana consumption.

Very nice to hear about the lucky escapes.
    Last weekend I left my car door wide open at the lift carpark - nothing stolen but I too, shall try to avoid repeating this one

great to hear a success story.

as well:

finish a race, placed well, stoked.
    chat with the other guys, throw the bike on the hitch rack and take off.
    stop for gas 3 miles down the road, no bike!!!
    tear up and down the road looking for where it fell off.
    get a call from the race director, it fell off just out of the parking lot, he had it waiting for me at his house. Saved!

no mj consumed, but a few beers after the bike was recovered.

No MJ or beer can be blamed on my stupidity IN THIS CASE. Just got occupied and was running on fumes after a good ride.

Big win there guy. Like I told you before at least you didn't do what Tye did...That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    Big win there guy. Like I told you before at least you didn't do what Tye did...That sucks.
    for the record, my razor sharp reflexes were able to stop the truck prior to any damage, basically just tipped the bike over...

[cue the roof racked bike vs garage stories...]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Was hauling ass to get a post work in. Get all my shit together take off, I am about 20ish minutes out and think I really don't think I locked the door on my pickup. Should I go back? Well, I should my laptop and stuff is in there. Ride back, door wide open, pingping from keys in ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    for the record, my razor sharp reflexes were able to stop the truck prior to any damage, basically just tipped the bike over...

[cue the roof racked bike vs garage stories...]
    That's good. Also you got me. Did this last year with my old bike. Bike and garage were fine, car was not...

Not bike dumb, but ski dumb: shuttled a car to the bottom of the dip at Jay Peak. Drive back, lift up, traverse out, ski down- all awesome. Get down to car and I had left the trunk wide open. More awesome. A lot of mj had been consumed that day.

I too almost left a pair of skis in the snow. It was my first day on then to make it even worse. I rode right up to the truck, clicked out changed and took off luckily my buddy thought about it before we got out of the parking lot. Ever since then I load the skis/bike etc first thing when I return to the car.

When I lived in San Francisco, I once left my garage door open for a night (thereby making my bike, ski, and camping gear freely available to passersby). Nothing was stolen, which was kind of a San Franciscan miracle.*

*This was in West Portal, which is one of the nicer, safer neighborhoods in SF. Had this occurred when I lived in the Mission or Lower Haight, my shit would have had a 100% chance of being stolen.

Maybe we think people are worse than they really are?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

Country boy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post

I have done some variation of everything in this post.
    Except wear a leather-button headband, of course.

Worst was running over my Klein Adroit....

Have done the roof rack/garage trick a couple of times. Only ever hurt the car. I found that placing the opener in the glove box instead of the visor when transporting the bike served as a good reminder.

Left a pair of skis in the Pike's Peak lot at DIA on my way back from Austria. Not sure why, but remembered about 15 min into the drive, and drove back to find them right where I left them. Would have sucked not to remember before driving all the way back to Georgetown.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    When I lived in San Francisco, I once left my garage door open for a night (thereby making my bike, ski, and camping gear freely available to passersby). Nothing was stolen, which was kind of a San Franciscan miracle.*

*This was in West Portal, which is one of the nicer, safer neighborhoods in SF. Had this occurred when I lived in the Mission or Lower Haight, my shit would have had a 100% chance of being stolen.
    Heh. Miracle for sure. My Cherokee was hit 3x, in different ways, on the street in Nob Hill in three years. Fucking TL tweakers.

My dumb story is bike on the roof in our condo complex. Bike was fine. Car was fine, although I'm sure the roof is scratched from the bike falling over onto it. Downtube grabber on the Thule rack was ripped open and wrecked. At least that was the cheapest link in the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Heh. Miracle for sure. My Cherokee was hit 3x, in different ways, on the street in Nob Hill in three years. Fucking TL tweakers.

My dumb story is bike on the roof in our condo complex. Bike was fine. Car was fine, although I'm sure the roof is scratched from the bike falling over onto it. Downtube grabber on the Thule rack was ripped open and wrecked. At least that was the cheapest link in the system.
    Yeah, I went through 3 car door windows in SF and I never left a thing in my car. They'd just toss a brick at your window and then check the glove box and under the seats I would assume. Also had my house robbed in Berkeley and then had my car stolen there as well... seemed like a nice enough place, but there's more than enough desperate meth heads to go around.

It's not that I don't think there's plenty of good people in the world - it's just that it only takes one tweaker to piss in your wheaties.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    Yeah, I went through 3 car door windows in SF and I never left a thing in my car. They'd just toss a brick at your window and then check the glove box and under the seats I would assume.
    Same here. Messed with it *after* I started leaving the glove box and center console open and empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I left my car parked in an illegal spot infront of a trash bin last night. I took a cab home from the bar. This morning I got a ride to my car and pulled up as the trash man was calling the tow company.

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

one of my super powers is to leave my front pockets open on my ski (oh, I should say sled) jacket. I have dropped my camera in the snow about everyday and still can't remember to zip it up. (out of sight out of mind eh).
    bought another truck, only paid $1900 for but for some stupid reason felt I had to lock it. if you knew where it was parked I coulda left the keys in the ignition and my wallet on the dash. but lock it I did and on day 2 of owning it I bent over to pick something up, in the snow, in the alpine, and sure enough the truck key is in the open pocket. so I picked up the things I could see that feel out and swore at myself yet again for doing that. but I didnt realize I was missing the key until back at the truck at teh end of the day.
    and the swear-fest began !!!
    but I learned just how easy it is to break in and start my truck

I think I may have bent over to pick up the lighter ... hehe ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...