Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Just chiming in to say that I grabbed a pair of Ravens to be my 'most days' PNW touring ski. Mounted them up with Zed 12s and finally got out on them at Stevens this week for a couple in bounds days. I didn't really intend to ski them in the resort, but honestly I love them so much that I think they are going to be my go to when skiing with the kids.

Conditions were all over the map as we haven't gotten much snow recently but it has been warm. Think a typical spring ski day. I hit hard bumps, slush, refrozen crud, corn, and heavy chopped pow. These skis are damn fun - I don't think I've ever had that much fun on any of my previous BC setups.

The skis are quite easy to ski - playful and poppy but with enough weight and rocker to float over the heavier stuff without being knocked around too much. In the really heavy pow or funky stuff I did feel like the tails were getting a little hung up, but my legs were also quite shot by then and I can't say I was skiing them too well. I would have preferred to be on a heavier and fatter ski for that run only.

One area reviews seemed to call out as the biggest downside was firm/icy conditions and edge hold. I didn't get into anything too nasty or steep but I found them to grip pretty damn well and I was able to rail them quite hard on groomers and frozen bumps. I think the main thing holding me back was less the ski and more my awareness of being on pin bindings.

All in all I've rarely had such an immediate love for a ski right out of the gate, and I'm stoked to get these things out in softer conditions. They definitely have me eyeing the Hojis for a powder touring ski as well.

Pretty much the same take. Instant love for these. I raged pretty hard on these on ice and groomers for the last few weeks. They have handled firm conditions no prob……thankful I mounted Duke PTs (and not pins) on these as they will get lots of inbounds use.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    Pic of my new 184cm Ravens…. mounted on the line (-6cm) with Duke PT 16s (like my Renegades). Splurged for the 4-Lock system….as I needed skins and I figured the 4-Lock skin weight saving will offset the heavier bindings. I also went with the Duke PTs as I want to ski these inbounds on soft days, with no new. Cause of the rocker. I’ve been missing rocker in the quiver. So damn fun.

I have lighter skis with Tectons for touring. And many other good skis for DD’ing at WB.

Review forthcoming after a few more days on them, hopefully in better snow.

Attachment 405288
    That's the smallest roofbox ever!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    That's the smallest roofbox ever!

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    Was mid-slurp on my coffee and totally spat it out reading that. TY

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Raven - Hoji's New Masterpiece

At Red Mountain for our 1st stop on the Powder Highway.

5cm dust on crust.

Skiing steeps. Tight trees.

184cm Ravens were the perfect tool.

These are a great inbounds, low-tide ski.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52AE7323-0271-4583-BB70-278E18F9F84D.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	980.5 KB 
ID:	406911
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-21-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Agree, the Raven is surprisingly versatile. Being pretty weight conscious, I like it as a bc pow ski. Punches weigh above its weight, and is super nimble seeking out tree stashes. I keep thinking about dropping it from the quiver, but then I end up skiing it consistently every season

^^^ Oh, and yeah Red is all about steep tight trees - good Raven country for sure!

What do you think is going on with people who don’t like the Raven in hard/icy conditions as compared to people who love it in the same conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    What do you think is going on with people who don’t like the Raven in hard/icy conditions as compared to people who love it in the same conditions?
    My take... As long as you can get a good edge in and you totally roll them over onto their full edge (the whole reflectech thing), then they're pretty darn fun. Think fresh corduroy.
    If it's truly hard or full-on icy, then (for me) they become rather sketchy - like any reverse cambered ski in those conditions. The shape just works against you, as there is just very little bite given no camber, and very little sidecut. Kind of feels like skiing on a boot edge.

Just finished a 7 day powder highway trip.

Skied 5 days at Red and Whitewater. For 2 days it was too frickin cold to ski. Didn’t venture out to Fernie or Kicking Horse due to the cold. Stayed in Rossland and drank wine/beer and visited friends.

We got a few cm in the first two days and then nothing.

So no pow this year.

Brought 5 skis with me: 4FRNT Renegade, Dynastar Proto 118, Salomon Blank, 4FRNT Raven and Dynastar M-Free 99.

All 5 days were spent on the Raven. It absolutely rips. Skied lots of steeps, chalky bumps, tight trees, chutes, and groomers back to the lift. Didn’t go back to the truck and grab the M-Free 99….as the Raven performed remarkably well in all these conditions.

The 184cm Raven skis like a 180cm. Duke PT 16s working super well. I have 8 solid inbounds days on mine - no issues. Perfect with my Dalbello Krypton 130s for skiing inbounds.

Could be some skis in my quiver being sold….and Hojis for sure on my wish list.

Name:	IMG_5270.JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	407607
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-28-2022 at 12:11 AM.

Ravens. So good. I was planning on touring yesterday so I brought my ravens with ions. Inbounds turned out to be super legit so I just rallied inbound pow laps. Amazing ski, I didn’t feel held back at all. The tourlock system is great too, dumping so much skin weight. Im thinking of getting another pair and putting some super light touring bindings and use them as big touring day setup.

Is there a source of the Hoji hole skin vs. Free2.0 normal tail weight difference? Genuinely curious

Quote Originally Posted by Get.Kronk View Post
    Is there a source of the Hoji hole skin vs. Free2.0 normal tail weight difference? Genuinely curious
    Somewhere in the tourlock propaganda I’ve seen Hoji state the savings. Something like 20%.

After years of testing, Eric found that by placing the hole in the rocker zone 20cm’s from the tail, he could reduce his skin length by up to 12% to improve uphill efficiency without affecting the skis downhill performance. This reduced skin length weighs in at less than 240g per skin and folds up impossibly compact, saving you more weight on your feet and more space in your pack than any other set up on the market.

https://4frnt.com/products/raven4lock

"Years of testing"??
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

"Years of testing"??
    I mean, have you met Hoji? This checks out

After years of testing, Eric found that by placing the hole in the rocker zone 20cm’s from the tail, he could reduce his skin length by up to 12% to improve uphill efficiency without affecting the skis downhill performance. This reduced skin length weighs in at less than 240g per skin and folds up impossibly compact, saving you more weight on your feet and more space in your pack than any other set up on the market.

https://4frnt.com/products/raven4lock

"Years of testing"??
    It’s a sweet setup. Easily stuffing the tiny skins into your jacket pockets each lap is a nice bonus.

I’m actually thinking of getting a second pair and putting my super light rando bindings on them. With the lighter skins you can get away with more ski weight.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    It’s a sweet setup. Easily stuffing the tiny skins into your jacket pockets each lap is a nice bonus.

I’m actually thinking of getting a second pair and putting my super light rando bindings on them. With the lighter skins you can get away with more ski weight.
    I just got some 191 Hojis with the 4-lock. My thinking exactly on the ski weight and bindings. We'll see! I'm amped. Skins are impossibly tiny. Putting on Moment Voyager 14s (ATK FR14s).

But, really, it was the 12% length reduction that sold me on the whole set-up!

For real, I had 184 Ravens, and liked them but thought the skis would be way better at 190 and 114 underfoot - at least for my use in the Sierra Nevada backcountry. Well, the new Hoji is dang close! Psyched.
    Last edited by meter-man; 04-26-2022 at 11:34 PM.
    sproing!

How does the back part lock? I'm not understanding from the pictures in that link, are there any that explain it better?

I just got some 191 Hojis with the 4-lock. My thinking exactly on the ski weight and bindings. We'll see! I'm amped. Skins are impossibly tiny. Putting on Moment Voyager 14s (ATK FR14s).

But, really, it was the 12% length reduction that sold me on the whole set-up!

For real, I had 184 Ravens, and liked them but thought the skis would be way better at 190 and 114 underfoot - at least for my use in the Sierra Nevada backcountry. Well, the new Hoji is dang close! Psyched.
    191 Hojis weighing in at a beefy 2173 and 2193 grams (in plastic still). About 120g over 4FRNT spec. Hmm…

Oh well - I’m sure I won’t regret it on the downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sproing!

For reference: I have two sets pomoca pro free 2.0 skins. One tourlock, one normal. Both for 102 ish 184 skis. I weighed both. The weight savings for tourlock is 70 grams, for the pair.

For reference: I have two sets pomoca pro free 2.0 skins. One tourlock, one normal. Both for 102 ish 184 skis. I weighed both. The weight savings for tourlock is 70 grams, for the pair.
    EDIT: Numbers/pics below

Free Pro 2.0 for Hojis at 192g per ski

Seeing is believing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by meter-man; 05-03-2022 at 10:26 PM.
    sproing!

I would imagine the skin saver accounts for a lot of the weight difference. Also the Free Pro 2.0 is a lot lighter material than the Climb Pro S Glide

FYI: 191 Hojis (display models) on sale for $545: https://4frnt.com/collections/stash/...2-hoji-display

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I would imagine the skin saver accounts for a lot of the weight difference. Also the Free Pro 2.0 is a lot lighter material than the Climb Pro S Glide
    You're completely right. For SCIENCE, I weighed again (and will amend my prior post):

Climb Pro S-Slide, cut for 190 / 108: 305g
    Free Pro 2.0, cut for 191 / 112 with tour-lock thingie: 192g

So, 191 Raven with Voyager 14s/FR14s: 2563g + 192g skin = 2755g all-in.

That's pretty sweet!.

Might need to go tour some corn tomorrow...

Going forward, I'll move my annoying Hoji comments over to that thread - yes?

Name:	IMG_2222.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	971.7 KB 
ID:	415302

Name:	IMG_2223.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	415303
    Last edited by meter-man; 05-03-2022 at 10:45 PM.
    sproing!

Not only are the weight savings and packability sweet but the standard tail clips on Pomoca suck pretty hard compared to Tourlock setup.

I have however had the tourlock attachment rip off on a number of occasions. 4frnt as always, sent me a new pair of skins asap. I told them and Hoji to double stitch it and the latest version I received from them were.

Overall Hoji nailed it again. I like his well thought out designs. I even still rock his Qunitic pack. The kidney shape skis really well by keeping the weight low and I can access my water bottle without taking my pack off. I can even transition skins into back pack without taking my pack off! I wish it was a little bigger tho as for full skimo days, it doesn’t have the capacity for rope, crampons etc etc.