Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    A big factor should also be your stance and boots - do you ski in upright touring boots with a neutral stance or high forward lean boots with a forward/more traditional stance?

Hoji is on very upright dynafits and has a centered stance which is why such a forward mount works well for him. I have seen most traditional skiers go behind the line.

Quote Originally Posted by tupp_ View Post
    A big factor should also be your stance and boots - do you ski in upright touring boots with a neutral stance or high forward lean boots with a forward/more traditional stance?

Hoji is on very upright dynafits and has a centered stance which is why such a forward mount works well for him. I have seen most traditional skiers go behind the line.
    Thinking this is why I will stick with -8. I ski more upright than forward. A good example of this is how much I clicked with the ON3P Billy Goats vs my struggles with the Wren platform.

FYI, I managed to break the tourlock skin strap the other day. I was probably a little rough on it transitioning with my skis on etc. Best to be mindful with it if you don’t want to suffer the same fate.

Damn, did you contact 4frnt about it? Would be a little surprised if they didn't help you out. I'd want to know why my new system failed.

Quote Originally Posted by tdpdx View Post
    Damn, did you contact 4frnt about it? Would be a little surprised if they didn't help you out. I'd want to know why my new system failed.
    I haven’t contacted them, but I normally would. I have a good reason for this that I won’t document. I may send a pic of the break to Hoji tho.

Anyway, it broke right where it feed into the plug thingy. I think I was hard on it and I ski everyday so it saw a lot of transitions. I think others will be ok if they are mindful.

Been eyeballing this ski for a couple years now as a daily driver for my touring set up but with Hoji saying they redesigned the Hoji to be more "in line" with the Ren and Raven it has me waffling between the Raven and Hoji now. I have a deep pow ski (Praxis Protest) so this will be all other conditions other than a deep day (foot or more). I mainly ski Tahoe, Mammoth, with some trips to the Wasatch. Anyone have any input on which direction to go? I'm kind of still leaning toward the Raven, especially for those spring days but thought I'd look for some consensus (or not).

I own the Raven as my touring ski up here in the PNW. I used to live (and ski) in CA. It would be a perfect touring ski for the Sierra’s IMHO. Specifically, it’s best in class in corn, spring slush, sunbaked snow… typical Sierra backcountry conditions…

But:
    - It’s not a powder ski…
    - There are a lot of better options for an inbounds DD…
    - I have no idea what it weighs these days, mine are not the lightest. If your doing a lot of huge east side objectives there are more mountaineering oriented options…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - There are a lot of better options for an inbounds DD…
    this.

It's my goto touring ski w/ions when it's not too deep or a spring mission. I wouldn't want to be ripping around inbounds on them though. I have the 18_(4?) length. I think they are a little softer than the 19x length. wouldn't want to be smashing WB laps with them though.

I’ve skied mine (184) in over a foot of pow and they were awesome. Renegades are my all time favorite ski. Ravens are damn good. I’d actually ski the as a daily driver inbounds if I got another pair for cheap. My current touring quiver is hoji, raven and praxis yeti. I could honestly get rid of the other 2 and just ski the raven. Instead I’m searching for a cast setup for a backup pair of renegades to expand the quiver.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I’ve had my Ravens for a few years now (the latest iteration)

They’re fun skis, but has anyone else had issues on the skin track? When things get steep and icy I can feel my butthole pucker. I sometimes wonder if a more traditional camber would be a benefit to me.

I live and ski in BC predominantly- I’ve been eyeing up some bigger objectives this year (properly steep couloirs, but nothing super difficult by TGR standards) - my question is whether the raven’s sidecut / camber profile will be sketchy in tight, steep situations. Anyone have experience here?

Thanks for the input all. This will be a touring ski so not worried about inbounds performance. In terms of powder, are you saying it’s not a deep powder ski or simply all powder? I have my Protests for the deep days but would like to travel with a single touring ski unless I know it’s gonna be deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    I’ve had my Ravens for a few years now (the latest iteration)

They’re fun skis, but has anyone else had issues on the skin track? When things get steep and icy I can feel my butthole pucker. I sometimes wonder if a more traditional camber would be a benefit to me.

I live and ski in BC predominantly- I’ve been eyeing up some bigger objectives this year (properly steep couloirs, but nothing super difficult by TGR standards) - my question is whether the raven’s sidecut / camber profile will be sketchy in tight, steep situations. Anyone have experience here?
    SkinCleats aka Skeats

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    SkinCleats aka Skeats
    How have I not seen these? Perfect for those days you don’t expect a refrozen skin track and didn’t pack the crampons.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    Thanks for the input all. This will be a touring ski so not worried about inbounds performance. In terms of powder, are you saying it’s not a deep powder ski or simply all powder? I have my Protests for the deep days but would like to travel with a single touring ski unless I know it’s gonna be deep.
    Not a deep powder ski like a protest, but they ski surprise powder very well, I have a blast with them in pow

I'm selling a pair of lightly skied 190s (blue tops, the most loved version). they're a backup pair

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    - It’s not a powder ski…
    Welp.. I skied 18” of fluff yesterday on my Ravens and loved every second of it. I normally ski my powder in the resort, but due to ikon blackout I had to earn it…. They don’t plane on the surface like a pure powder skis but they do get you 90% there and a plenty maneuverable for tight trees. Which is pretty impressive for a 104 waisted ski below a 205# man…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Pretty sure you’d be loving any ski in 18” of fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Pretty sure you’d be loving any ski in 18” of fluff.
    I don’t leave the house for anything less than 20”

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I don’t leave the house for anything less than 20”
    That’s what she said

The Raven - Hoji's New Masterpiece

Pic of my new 184cm Ravens…. mounted on the line (-6cm) with Duke PT 16s (like my Renegades). Splurged for the 4-Lock system….as I needed skins and I figured the 4-Lock skin weight saving will offset the heavier bindings. I also went with the Duke PTs as I want to ski these inbounds on soft days, with no new. Cause of the rocker. I’ve been missing rocker in the quiver. So damn fun.

I have lighter skis with Tectons for touring. And many other good skis for DD’ing at WB.

Review forthcoming after a few more days on them, hopefully in better snow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4926.JPG 
Views:	315 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	405288
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-10-2022 at 12:27 AM.

Just gotta say the Ravens were awesome at Whistler yesterday. And apparently they can ski low-tide, hardback really well. I thought it would soften but it was really icy most of the day, from top to bottom, it did not soften anywhere.

The Duke PTs felt great with Krypton 130s. They are exactly like an alpine binding.

I was skiing a 184cm Raven. And I’m always on ~179-181cm skis. I had previously tried my son’s 177cm Hojis and they felt really short. So I bought the 184cm Raven. Mounted on the line (approx -5.9cm on re-measure). Went on the line as my 289mm bsl is pretty close to Hojis 284mm.

It’s been a few years (since spending 3 winters the Baker cabin in 2014-2017) that I’ve had a 4FRNT rockered ski in the quiver. So happy with these. The Raven shape really handled ice well. They are great as a low-tide inbounds ski with the Duke PT. They rip hard on groomers when you lay them over on edge. It’s a different way of skiing….carving with the ski rolled over, but then periodically releasing and letting the rocker slide/slarve a turn. All at very high speed. I loved it. I skied way faster. And they handled re-frozen off-piste crap better than cambered skis. Makes me excited to get on the Renegades again once the snow returns. And want a Hoji.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-13-2022 at 12:25 PM.

My take away from owning the Raven was I want a fatter version.

This place moves in such waves. We no longer even talk about 4frnt, Hoji and Renegade were such love affairs. Same with Praxis

My take away from owning the Raven was I want a fatter version.

This place moves in such waves. We no longer even talk about 4frnt, Hoji and Renegade were such love affairs. Same with Praxis
    This….I kind of fell in love again (after owning 2013 Hojis/Rens, and 2017 Rens).

I think that with me owning new 2022 Renegades (unskied due to the dry spell), the Raven made more sense than a Hoji. But you’re right, skiing the Raven today also made me want to be on a wider Hoji too.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-13-2022 at 12:26 PM.

IRL I still regularly talk to friends about these skis.
    And bemoan them being shortened in the bigger sizes.
    But not much else to say that hasn’t been said.

Based on all the raving here I've now skied a pair of 2019 Hojis briefly and a pair of 2021 Ravens. I was meh on the Hojis, but I've really enjoyed the Raven so far. I actually prefer noodling with them vs. charging on them. Mostly because I think the rocker ski best when you can be very precise and my skills just aren't there to drive the Hoji at the level it should be skied.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    It’s a different way of skiing….carving with the ski rolled over
    I thought this was so true, they have tons of grip rolled over. Almost none otherwise.