Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    As someone who learned to ski as an adult and learned primarily in the backcountry, the full rocker and long radius of the Raven is much more confidence-inspiring on firm steeps than anything else. You have to pay attention to your edge angles a little more but in exchange the ski is much more predictable, stable and easy to control. The Volkl BMT 109 is even better on firm to me because it is more damp, and a very similar shape. If you want to keep the Hoji as a pow ski and replace the BC100 with something more capable and firm-snow focused, consider the Black Crows Solis, V-Werks Mantra (can be found relatively cheap from yurp right now) and Dynafit Beast 98 (also pretty cheap online), which all have a tiny bit of camber to give some extra grip on icy skin tracks but are still long radius with lots of rocker.

Pretty much everything under 110mm underfoot will disappoint in pow compared to the Hoji so why try to consolidate the quiver? The perfect skinny complement to the Hoji would be the BMT 94 in 186 if you can find a pair (I have a friend who could be convinced to sell.. pm me

Yeah maybe I don’t know what I prefer but I do see the line of thinking that skis like these could be more manageable in icy steeps in the backcountry since it’s a stable platform underfoot with less hooking. I grew up racing so I’m used to managing ice by putting a lot of energy into the skis but I don’t like skiing that aggressively in consequential terrain
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

The Raven - Hoji's New Masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Yeah maybe I don’t know what I prefer but I do see the line of thinking that skis like these could be more manageable in icy steeps in the backcountry since it’s a stable platform underfoot with less hooking. I grew up racing so I’m used to managing ice by putting a lot of energy into the skis but I don’t like skiing that aggressively in consequential terrain
    I don’t think the Hoji “shapes” require a lot of effort or energy.

I can get from point A to point B in tough terrain, way faster on Ravens/Hojis, than I can on other cambered skis….with more speed and way less effort.

Cause when on a Raven/Hoji you can go straight, get up to mach speed, slide the tails to bleed off excess speed, slide into a carve, pivot, slarve or go straight again… they also let you stay in a turn for a real long time, eg slide, slide some more, etc. And it can all happen at speed …without the constant leg pressure carving a cambered ski. You need to stay centered and angle the edges when you want to grip/hold. They’re awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by kc_7777; 09-27-2022 at 08:41 PM.

The Raven - Hoji's New Masterpiece

Which is why I now own Ravens, Hojis and Renegades.

Last edited by kc_7777; 09-26-2022 at 10:50 PM.

The only time I prefer traditional camber underfoot when on my Rens is when I’m traversing slowly on steep ice over exposure. Which can be a part of skinning and where crampons come in anyway.

Crow and I just finished putting this review of the V1/MK1 Raven together.

https://www.experiencedgear.net/home/4frnt-raven-mk1

Let us know what folks think - constructive/non-constructive feedback welcome
    Last edited by rfconroy; 10-01-2022 at 07:29 PM.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Interesting review rfconroy. I've got a set of mk1s sitting in the back of the shed that I should try out.

Maybe there’s something wrong with my Ravens, mine aren’t reverse camber. They’re dead flat between the splayed parts of the tip and tail.

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post

Great writeup! I'm interested in your point about how the ski is hard on bindings. I'm not sure if that is really a thing, but one other data point is a buddy of mine got a new pair of Ravens last year and mounted them with Moment Voyagers and has been dealing with pre-releases. He is a very aggressive skier but only 160lbs and cranked the release up to a 12 on the bindings and still comes out. To be fair he also pre releases every other tech binding and mostly skis locked out so I don't really blame the skis or bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Great writeup! I'm interested in your point about how the ski is hard on bindings. I'm not sure if that is really a thing, but one other data point is a buddy of mine got a new pair of Ravens last year and mounted them with Moment Voyagers and has been dealing with pre-releases. He is a very aggressive skier but only 160lbs and cranked the release up to a 12 on the bindings and still comes out. To be fair he also pre releases every other tech binding and mostly skis locked out so I don't really blame the skis or bindings.
    Crow has his mounted up with Tectons and hasnt had an issue, I've got mine mounted up with G3 Zeds, and have had issues. However, I did have a pair of Zeds that I had purchased used that were suspect... wobble in the toes, and turrets had a crack on them which seems to be a 1st gen issue.

I had skied on a pair of brand new Zeds mounted on my Hoji IIIs, and didnt have any issues prior in just about every snow condition. So the point we were trying to make was that the way the ski is designed to be used can cause some pretty catastrophic/spectacular crashes if/when they happen.

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by rfconroy View Post

Nice. I have an unmounted version of this First gen raven in the basement that i’ve been curious about.

Just ordered a pair of 184 tourlock Ravens. Planning to mount these with ATK Crests and use them as the middle ski in my touring quiver (along with Mtn Explore 88s and Bent Chetler 120s). I haven’t skied a Hoji shape since the 2016-era red and black Hojis, but I remember the frictionless feel well… very stoked.

Question for the Raven team - what have you guys been running as bindings for Ravens set up as dedicated touring skis?

My 2018’s have some Kingpins which I don’t love (but got at an insane deal a few years ago).

I’m looking for something that skis well without being quite as much of a pig. Other skis have ATK’s which I love, but was debating going with some MTNs or some flavour of Dynafit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post
    Question for the Raven team - what have you guys been running as bindings for Ravens set up as dedicated touring skis?

My 2018’s have some Kingpins which I don’t love (but got at an insane deal a few years ago).

I’m looking for something that skis well without being quite as much of a pig. Other skis have ATK’s which I love, but was debating going with some MTNs or some flavour of Dynafit.
    I’m running Vipecs, I’m old and I like my knees.

I have MTNs with my tourlock Ravens. Big fan. But not sure there's much secret sauce in that combo, as the MTN is pretty proven (minus a few quirks). If you want high-DIN, I also own and like ATK FR14s, but don't think they're worth the extra $ over an MTN with expert springs.

Anyone know if we can buy the tourlock skins yet for our existing ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Anyone know if we can buy the tourlock skins yet for our existing ravens?

OOOO I know the answer to this question!

From my email:

Quote Originally Posted by 4FRNT Team View Post
    " That's an awesome rig you've created on your first-gen Ravens. We're proud to have you riding on 4frnt!

And thank you for your interest in our 4-Lock skin system! At this time and for the for this ski season, we are only able to facilitate purchases of the Pomoca 4-Lock skins for customers who have purchased a 4-Lock ski model from us. This is due to limited stock numbers of the Pomoca 4-Lock skins.

Thanks for your support and understanding. Please let us know if you have any other questions! "

In short, if you have a 4Lock ski you've purchased, you can buy one, if you're fixing to do a mod like I did, or want to on another ski, youre SOL.
    Last edited by rfconroy; 10-31-2022 at 07:12 PM.

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by Bamski View Post

G3 Zeds cause I'm old and stopped reading spec spreadsheets and threads about the 'best binding' and just wanted something no fuss that was easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    G3 Zeds cause I'm old and stopped reading spec spreadsheets and threads about the 'best binding' and just wanted something no fuss that was easy to use.
    Zed, I think its the easiest tech clamp to use out of shit that I've been on. I'd say its on-par with a tecton for ease of use/transition, but without the tendency to ice up.
    Here's how to transition in the Ion/Zed:

Run it brakeless with the shim, as the brakes wear into the turret.

Only other clamp I would consider would be a Raider, much higher quality, slightly harder to use/transition.

www.experiencedgear.net

The Zed is even easier than that - the heel piece does not move up and down like the Ion so you just rotate it.

I run it in that exact configuration - stomp pad and no brakes. So far no fuss and no issues.

New Hoji blister gear podcast up. As good as ever listening to his thoughts

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    The Zed is even easier than that - the heel piece does not move up and down like the Ion so you just rotate it.

I run it in that exact configuration - stomp pad and no brakes. So far no fuss and no issues.
    I tried to just have the part of the video play with the ski pole trick, as that's generally how I transition in the zeds. That + the Hoji lock on the Dynafit boots means I am consistently waiting for folks transition...

www.experiencedgear.net

Been sitting on a pair of 184 ravens and now time to mount. First foray into the dark arts of reverse camber, and coming from a racing background, so I’m thinking I want to mount these as far back as acceptable. Let’s say I go -2.5 from hoji’s magic line with 297 bsl… am I gonna die?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
    Been sitting on a pair of 184 ravens and now time to mount. First foray into the dark arts of reverse camber, and coming from a racing background, so I’m thinking I want to mount these as far back as acceptable. Let’s say I go -2.5 from hoji’s magic line with 297 bsl… am I gonna die?

That far back, you will be outside of the flatter section of camber making it ski wonky. I wouldnt stray much outside of +-1cm from rec. It's been at -6cm since the first gen, but it is easy to do kick turns, and is rather intuitive if you ski more on the balls of your feet.

I've got mine at +0.5cm right now, and actaully like it quite a bit.

www.experiencedgear.net