Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Still impressed with the all around capability of the 2017 184 cm Ravens. I've got about ten days on them now, mixed resort/sidecountry/backcountry.

Today I tried to go sidecountry out of Canyons and couldn't get there because of gondola/lift wind hold. So I got stuck skiing my touring skis/bindings in the resort for most of the day (this happened to me recently in Whitewater BC too because of avy danger).

Bumps, refrozen crud, breakable crust, 60mph groomers, the new Raven (plus Kingpin) can handle it all really well for a 1800gm touring ski. It retains the "Hoji" feel of preferring a neutral stance and lateral weight shifts for turns. But it will rip a resort groomer at speed no problem, peeling off quick turns or long slides with ease.

I've had a few 18" touring days on them too. While it's not quite as pivoty and fast in pow as a Kusala or a Renegade (124 or 122 underfoot), it's still totally serviceable as a touring ski in moderate to deep pow. I haven't stuffed a tip and gone over the handle bars on the Ravens yet (which I have done on my Kusalas).

The Raven - Hoji's New Masterpiece

sweet.

I've got 4 days now on my new raven 190's with kingpins.
    First impressions...

at first I kinda couldn't ski them. They were deflecting like crazy and super hooky in a weird way. Bt it turned out they had a horrible tune off the shop wall (the bases were cupped slightly, weird texture, dried out no wax, and apparently only a 0.25deg base edge angle measured with the dude's laser). Got them professionally ground and tuned and they were a totally different beasts. I think I really like them. I did mount at -2cm (as per Hoji's formula in the article above), and I'm still unsure on the mount, but so far it's not jumping out to change yet.

They have more Renegade "feel" than Hoji "feel". To me, that means a slightly more aggressive ski, in contrast to the Hoji which feels more mellow to me... but still the same style of skiing. They do have some of that magic thing that happens with the Rens where you can get the right mojo going and pressure the heels just slightly more and they turn in to rocketships and just want to accelerate out of everything, but still in total control. I like that, and I haven't really felt it in other skis. I certainly trust them to go fast.

good float in soft snow... actually I was surprised at that part. And good edge hold on hard snow. Even good on the few groomers I've skied on them.

The lightweight is going to take some getting used to for chunder, but it did make me feel a lot lighter on my feet and more easily bring my knees up in the air.

anyways - so far I'm pretty happy with my Ravens. Enough so that I'm selling my Hojis and Renegades; to replace with the new lighter Renegades to compliment the Ravens.
    Last edited by Judo Chop!; 03-04-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    sweet.

I've got 4 days now on my new raven 190's with kingpins.
    First impressions...

at first I kinda couldn't ski them. They were deflecting like crazy and super hooky in a weird way. Bt it turned out they had a horrible tune off the shop wall (the bases were cupped slightly, weird texture, dried out no wax, and apparently only a 0.25deg base edge angle measured with the dude's laser). Got them professionally ground and tuned and they were a totally different beasts.
    I had the same issue with my tune (factory direct purchase). Dig the ski now though.

PSA: 190 Ravens are 40% off (~$500 USD) at BC.com: https://www.backcountry.com/4frnt-sk...M&ti=Ojo6NDo=#

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    I had the same issue with my tune (factory direct purchase). Dig the ski now though.
    A wise man wrote to me in January 2017 the following:

"Have a couple of days on the new raven. Overall, it's a sweet pow ski. Skis very similar to the 186 EHP, and pretty similar to the Ren. It's obviously a ton lighter, so doesn't mash crud like those skis, but it's more playful as a result. Reminds me a lot of the woo 2.0, but less float and less twitchy.

It is not a great icy/hardpack ski though. Between the steeple 102, the Down 102, and the Raven, its the worst. Steeple does ok, but Down 102 really crushes that type of conditions so you should be pretty happy. Doesn't float in pow like the raven or the steeple, but doesn't sound like that's what you were after."

Would you (still) agree with that assessment? How was the '17 Raven in spring conditions? Especially firm, variable, corn, volcano-y type conditions?

The 186 Lowdown102 is really fun, but it's a little much for me in this slot. I probably would have been better with off with the 179.... anyway, how did the Raven fly?

I didn’t get them out in any corn, but after a tune they were pretty functional and enjoyable on groomers at the resort. I think all my initial issues were related to the tune, which was horrible from the factory. Had concave base and felt railed in hardpack. Definitely a more laid back ski than the 102. I

Has anyone heard any rumors about what changes they are making to next years raven? (18/19)

would love to se another 100 gram drop in weight and maybe an all blacked out design, or back to the first see throug design again!

Another PSA - BNIP 190 Ravens for 449 on fleabay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4FRNT-2018-...MakeTrack=true no affiliation

Just need to find me some 184s....
    sproing!

4frnt insta says that they found 3 pairs of 184s. Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Another PSA - BNIP 190 Ravens for 449 on fleabay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4FRNT-2018-...MakeTrack=true no affiliation

goddamnit. Wish I had started researching earlier and found that.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHD View Post
    4frnt insta says that they found 3 pairs of 184s. Fyi

Found some 184s on ebay yesterday (!) and got to use the one-day 15% off coupon (!!) for a screaming deal. I should get them mounted up soon, and will post a review comparing them to 186 LowDown 102s (going on the market very soon) and 190 Praxis BCs once I get enough days on them... WOOT!!
    sproing!

PSA: barely used Ravens for $305 USD on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-4FRNT-...21b9%7Ciid%3A1

no affiliation
    sproing!

PSA: barely used Ravens for $305 USD on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-4FRNT-...21b9%7Ciid%3A1

no affiliation
    Good jeezus fucking christ, how many of these "bid" vs "buy it now" threads need to happen before people read wtf they are posting.

meter-man, no ill intent but get ur shit together because this happens over and over

If you took too many bong hits, that's okay and you are forgiven

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Good jeezus fucking christ, how many of these "bid" vs "buy it now" threads need to happen before people read wtf they are posting.

meter-man, no ill intent but get ur shit together because this happens over and over

If you took too many bong hits, that's okay and you are forgiven
    Yep, too many bong hits. Sorry!

The 190 I posted above was a "buy it now"...not that it matters. It may happen with others, but I don't think I've been a previous violator.

Anyway, go pin your grin on and take a binger. Sorry to get your hopes up.
    sproing!

Yep, too many bong hits. Sorry!

The 190 I posted above was a "buy it now"...not that it matters. It may happen with others, but I don't think I've been a previous violator.

Anyway, go pin your grin on and take a binger. Sorry to get your hopes up.
    Sorry, I was feeling a bit surly! No worries (I have probably unwittingly done the same thing in the past, ha).

^^no worries!

Bumping - any mount insights on the Raven??

184 Raven. Rec is -6, 86cm from the tail.

322 BSL, so per Hoji's ball-of-foot formula, I should 322 - 284 = 38 mm. Divided by 2 = 19 mm. This suggests I should be at 84 cm from the tail (-8), aka -2 from recommended.

Seems pretty far back. My inclination is to go -1. Will be mounted with Vipecs. I'm sorta between new-school upright and front-of-boot old-school race style.

This ski is a little short for me - I'm 6', 190#, but I think that size will be good for intended use. Which is for spring and big days (possibly multi-day) - mixed bag from pow to corn to firm. Complements a Protest for touring.

[/BLOG]
    sproing!

I'd go -8. That's where I was going to mount it. I'm 6'3, 205#

^^no worries!

Bumping - any mount insights on the Raven??

184 Raven. Rec is -6, 86cm from the tail.

322 BSL, so per Hoji's ball-of-foot formula, I should 322 - 284 = 38 mm. Divided by 2 = 19 mm. This suggests I should be at 84 cm from the tail (-8), aka -2 from recommended.

Seems pretty far back. My inclination is to go -1. Will be mounted with Vipecs. I'm sorta between new-school upright and front-of-boot old-school race style.

This ski is a little short for me - I'm 6', 190#, but I think that size will be good for intended use. Which is for spring and big days (possibly multi-day) - mixed bag from pow to corn to firm. Complements a Protest for touring.

[/BLOG]

I’m at -1cm from rec on the 184cm. Like it there, feels very balanced and skis pow well for a ski with this waist width.

But I’m much smaller than you, 5’9” and 145lbs, 306 BSL. YMMV of course

Dgamms and Margotron - thanks for the responses! Thinking -1.5 (aka -7.5 from center). Can't wait to rip em!!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    I’m at -1cm from rec on the 184cm. Like it there, feels very balanced and skis pow well for a ski with this waist width.

But I’m much smaller than you, 5’9” and 145lbs, 306 BSL. YMMV of course
    Can you compare them to other similar skis? Ever skied BMT109s by any chance?

I would buy anyone's 190 they are willing to part with. Have owned 184s, too short for my 6'4 frame

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Can you compare them to other similar skis? Ever skied BMT109s by any chance?
    Never skied the BMT series... although I kinda want a 176 BMT 94 for a volcano ski if anyone is looking to unload a pair.

I like flat camber skis with progressive (-4 to -7cm from TC) mount points, so the Raven was my replacement for the Völkl Nunatuqs I had. I liked those skis, but even mounted 3+ of rec they felt like they had too much tip and not enough about tail for me.

Some meager old man ski stoke, but there is decent GoPro clip of the Ravens in their element starting at the 2:00m mark. Sidecountry at Canyons.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GvW...8Jc8tlBnF/view

Watch at your own risk, the crappy park skiing before and after that clip might scar your retinas....

Ha. Good stuff for us old men! Better than me.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Some meager old man ski stoke, but there is decent GoPro clip of the Ravens in their element starting at the 2:00m mark. Sidecountry at Canyons.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GvW...8Jc8tlBnF/view

Watch at your own risk, the crappy park skiing before and after that clip might scar your retinas....

That was a cool watch! Inspirational!