Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Sounds like the Raven has now gone to mostly flat camber? No more full reverse camber on it. Would love to see that happen to the Devestator (and for them to introduce a 188-190 version!).

They looked pretty flat last year... Even flatter this year?

Just going by the website. They're now saying flat camber instead of reverse camber.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Just going by the website. They're now saying flat camber instead of reverse camber.
    Does it still say reflect tech? ;-)
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Yeah - they still mate the sidecut to the rockered sections.

Yeah - they still mate the sidecut to the rockered sections.
    so, according to reflect technology, flat camber = zero rocker = no sidecut. Funny.

The Raven - Hoji's New Masterpiece

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    so, according to reflect technology, flat camber = zero rocker = no sidecut. Funny.
    Their description of reflectech doesn't specify what they do when there is no rocker, just when there is rocker. I think they just continue the same sidecut from the rockered sections. I doubt its zero sidecut.

It's "rocker matching the sidecut", and normally shown with the ren held at 90 degrees.

It's all marketing anyway.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Totally agree on marketing. I can't imagine it has any performance advantage.

In its first year, there was variations in the amount of rocker until they 'refined' or retooled the manufacturing process. Wonder if this is what is going on this year.

Their description of reflectech doesn't specify what they do when there is no rocker, just when there is rocker. I think they just continue the same sidecut from the rockered sections. I doubt its zero sidecut.
    so, using just a grain of salt, if the camber is flat and there is some sidecut - do y remember goode str8? maybe you were not born yet :-) - there is no more reflect tech, which used to be (or maybe still is, who knows...) Hoji's little trick.

Well I picked up some of this years in a 190. So far it's great, though I only have a couple of days on them. A renegade on a diet. Bit of a revelation skinning around on a narrower ski again. I heavily detuned the tip and tail as per usual, initially they felt quite hooky. This has restored the loose slarvability found in the Renegade.

If you guys want, there's a cool review of the Raven by the italian mag "Skialper", Buyer's Guide edition. It's available in english, digital format.

http://mulatero.it/prodotto/buyersguide2017/
    Always Fight Gravity

I've had the OG 10/11 Renegade as my one and only touring set up since 2011. Ive been walkin' all over the place with original Dukes, wall to wall BD Ascension skins and Rossi B-Squad alpine boots because I love that surfy fast Renegade feel and was unwilling to give it up.

I just picked up a pair of OG Ravens. And I have to say, even on the limited amount of real skiing I've had this year, I think I'll like this ski. But am a bit worried it wont have the same surfy fast feeling, it actually feels more hooky. Not a la my original S7s but definitely a bit hooky. I don't know if I'm just projecting my previous knowledge from this thread onto my new skis or what.

I know mtnln got rid of his original Ravens. Did anyone else stick it out and figure out how to ski these new ones the same way as the Ravens?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    I've had the OG 10/11 Renegade as my one and only touring set up since 2011. Ive been walkin' all over the place with original Dukes, wall to wall BD Ascension skins and Rossi B-Squad alpine boots because I love that surfy fast Renegade feel and was unwilling to give it up.

I just picked up a pair of OG Ravens. And I have to say, even on the limited amount of real skiing I've had this year, I think I'll like this ski. But am a bit worried it wont have the same surfy fast feeling, it actually feels more hooky. Not a la my original S7s but definitely a bit hooky. I don't know if I'm just projecting my previous knowledge from this thread onto my new skis or what.

I know mtnln got rid of his original Ravens. Did anyone else stick it out and figure out how to ski these new ones the same way as the Ravens?
    I have a few days on my Ravens. They ski similarly. I have heavily detuned them to keep them loose.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    I have a few days on my Ravens. They ski similarly. I have heavily detuned them to keep them loose.
    I just got a pair of the new Ravens and after three day is was unlucky and skid across some rocks that heavily detuned my edges under my foot/heel area. They tried to tune them up at the ski shop but one ski will forever be dull on one side. 20 years of skiing and the first time I buy hand made skies it happens, F@@@@!

My question is, should I be super annoyed, or does this not affect the Ravens at all since you want dull edges for this ski anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by N3vrast View Post
    I just got a pair of the new Ravens and after three day is was unlucky and skid across some rocks that heavily detuned my edges under my foot/heel area. They tried to tune them up at the ski shop but one ski will forever be dull on one side. 20 years of skiing and the first time I buy hand made skies it happens, F@@@@!

My question is, should I be super annoyed, or does this not affect the Ravens at all since you want dull edges for this ski anyway?
    sell them, they are dead, (PM me)

get them tuned, use as outside edge, you are fine

Hehe, we`ll see how annoyed I am after my Easter Bonus

Thats what I did, but since this is my first fully rockered ski I was wondering how sharp you want/need the edges for this ski. Is this going to be a performance dropping "accident", or just a F`in annoying one?
    After my time in The US of A i realized that rock skiing is quite a normal occurance, so I was hoping for some hard earned advice.

Keep them sharp underfoot but I round the edges tip and tail to a little inside the contact points

Didn't realize there was an 8 page thread dedicated to the Raven..., so I'll cross-post here:

Anyone get this year's Raven out? I'm mostly interested in how the ski deals with hardpack, windfunk, icy steeps, etc.

The Raven would fill the slot for a hard snow, spring steeps, volcano, multi-day type ski and will accompany a pow touring rig.

Or...if Blister would publish a real review, and not "I liked this ski", then... hint hint Lindahl

Just picked up some 190's of the latest version.

Where should I mount these?

recommended is 89cm from tail.
    I'm a big dude and ski Hojis and Renegades at -1cm or -2cm from the recommended 92cm on each. I've never felt too far back.
    Kingpins are going on these.

I'm 6'6' 265.
    Hoping to ditch the hojis and have just these and the Renegades (plus Devastators for mobbing strictly inbounds).

I'm on the 184 cm Ravens from this season. You are a much bigger dude, I'm 5'9" and 150 lbs, so your experience on the 190 cm may be different.

Of note, the 2017 Raven rocker profile is almost exactly the same as this years Hojis. More tip splay on the Ravens than I expected.

I mounted -1 cm from rec on the Ravens. That matches up pretty well with my 184 Devastators also mounted -1cm from rec.

I only have a few days on the Ravens so far, mostly skinning the resort at night. I've been impressed with their stability at speed on refrozen resort groomers so far. Impressive damping for a 1800 gm ski. Paired with Kingpin 13 and Freetour XT 130 LV.

Going to BC next week, should get a few days of real touring in with them up there.

Wished I had my renegades at times yesterday, but that was with 40-50cm fresh. As long as you can point them and get speed they are fine but I submarined at times trying to maneuver at slow speeds. Still super impressed with their abilities in all but the deepest snow (and even then they were terrific)

Quote Originally Posted by Judo Chop! View Post
    Just picked up some 190's of the latest version.

Where should I mount these?

recommended is 89cm from tail.
    I'm a big dude and ski Hojis and Renegades at -1cm or -2cm from the recommended 92cm on each. I've never felt too far back.
    Kingpins are going on these.

I'm 6'6' 265.
    Hoping to ditch the hojis and have just these and the Renegades (plus Devastators for mobbing strictly inbounds).
    Hoji gave some input on mounting points here: http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

I'm 6' 200, all beef, and mounted on 88 cms from tail. I ski the 196 rens at rec, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joebornstein View Post
    Hoji gave some input on mounting points here: http://mtnguiding.com/media/2017/1/4...adesravens-too

I'm 6' 200, all beef, and mounted on 88 cms from tail. I ski the 196 rens at rec, though.
    Woah. Sweet find. Thanks bud.