Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by piEr-O View Post
    Anyone have photos of Raven's reverse camber ?
    Fondled a pair, and like the other 4frnts, the rocker is much more mellow than what they should be after the logic of "reflect tech", and this is really a good thing for anyone not skiing perfect pow all the time imo.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

xyz > a pic of reverse camber curve
    Sist > cool, be a good thing for alpine conditions

Quote Originally Posted by piEr-O View Post
    xyz > a pic of reverse camber curve
    Did you see post #9?

Xyz> sorry don't see the pic with computer ... But see with smartphone, it's ok. Thank Guy !

Profile camber have very low profile ... Very interested to try on hard or windy snow condition

got mine, considering selling due to personal reasons but they're screaming no that's for sure

currently mounted alpine with fks 18's, in bounds every day shredder?
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

Quote Originally Posted by StopMakingSense View Post
    got mine, considering selling due to personal reasons but they're screaming no that's for sure

currently mounted alpine with fks 18's, in bounds every day shredder?
    They're also screaming for a touring binding

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    They're also screaming for a touring binding
    call me lame but i'd rather have 93 underfoot with camber in an icy chute which I guess is where I am most of the time but on those pow days they would sure be nice

Might go quiver killer, just dont have the cash for an ion right now, what a problem to have huh?

It's a hard knock life

That's exactly my concern with the Raven. I'm in the market for a lightweight 100-ish touring ski, but I'm a bit sceptical about the rocker profile in icy conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by smooth operator View Post
    It's a hard knock life

That's exactly my concern with the Raven. I'm in the market for a lightweight 100-ish touring ski, but I'm a bit skeptical about the rocker profile in icy conditions.
    I'm not. It's not exactly banana rocker on the Ravens so I think the difference between a decambered typical 100-ish low camber tip(/tail) touring ski is negligible. A lot of people praise Völkls and Blizzards for their great edge hold etc despite being full rocker. The Raven was built for more demanding, various conditions in the first place. Based on a source I trust that have skied it for quite some time now I dont't see any problem going for the Raven as a "lightweight" 100-ish touring ski. Still awaiting both snow and Radical 2.0s to be sure though

Sure but nothing beats camber on ice and the ability to use that potential energy to power into your next turn, the ravens are stiff and do have good edge hold (I won't argue that) but it can't beat my G3 C93 cambered skis any day of the week on ice, they just won't

On the up, my G3's win (Lighter weight)
    On the technical up, G3's win (Not as high, smaller, compact, easier to put away on the pack)
    On the down, my G3's beat them in ice, Raven's destroy in punchy beat up conditions which isn't fun skiing just a lot less energy on a reverse ski, Raven's win in pow and take a lot less energy

My main energy loss on a big 12+ hour day would then be concerned with the "challenging conditions" which the G3's are terrible in, avy debris, frozen chunks etc but any way you look at it this stuff isn't fun to begin with. So for me why should I worry about slugging an extra 2lbs when I'll only be excited on them for maybe 10minutes when the rest of the day I'm stoked I'm on the G3's.

I'm mounting alpine then is the conclusion I've come to, even on a big day in the backcountry pow skiing wise it's fun getting deep with a sub-100 ski, digging the sub 6lb sticks
    Last edited by StopMakingSense; 11-12-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdigg View Post
    . Still awaiting both snow and Radical 2.0s to be sure though
    I've been informed this may take a while (the rads that is, not sure about the snow)

I just snagged some demo Ravens from a buddy who knows the 4FRNT rep, I'll post rocker shots when they're in my hands. I'm going to mount these with Beasts and BF inserts. I haven't been on a ski less narrow than a '12 Bibby Pro for a few years, and the Rossi S3 was my first intro to rockered skis back in '09. Very stoked to get on these!

Also, not to hijack, but there are 4FRNT/Tyrolia Adrenalin demo clamps on these skis, anyone looking for a pair or two?

Any skied them? Thought on the recommended mounting point?

Eric got back to me with this

"I mount my Ravens with boot midsole at -6cm behind true center of the ski so 86cm measured from the tail. My boot sole is 25.5/284mm, I seem to remember you are a 26.5? If so you could go maybe for -6.5cm to have your toe piece in the same location as me...
    *I would not go more than -8cm on this ski.
    *I think the official mounting recommendation is at 87cm and I feel this could be a bit too far forward, especially with lager boots/taller people. Please share the updated 86cm location if people inquire.
    *Also I strongly recommend aggressively de-tuning the first 30 cm of tip and tail edge (in the tapper section of the ski) on all my signature model skis. We are working on implementing this into production at the moment but it is difficult because it almost has to be done by hand... This aggressive de-tune is a personal thing but I find it really improves the forgiving surfyness of the skis, especially in difficult variable conditions.

For the Hoji I have been mounting mine with boot midsole at -5.5cm behind true center of the ski so 88cm measured from the tail. I go slightly more forward with the Hoji because at the moment it has more underfoot rocker than the Raven.
    *We are working on slightly increasing the underfoot rocker on the Raven, we will have to build some new lower form block components as we are currently using the 186 Renegade form blocks to press the Ravens in SLC and this is contributing to the flattening out underfoot rocker profile."

So I'm 10mm longer BSl then him, and like a ski mounted back more of center then most people (including him) so I went -1cm from the recommended line, or 85cm from tail.

Will ski them this week and report back

The Raven - Hoji's New Masterpiece

Fondled these at the local shop. Definitely eyeing them up but wonder if the flatter rocker profile will ski differently than intended? The rocker profile doesn't match the sidecut as nice as it does on the Hoji.
    Last edited by Live2play; 11-16-2014 at 10:17 PM.

Flatter rocker can only be a good thing for this style ski, IMO. But I haven't fondled them in person...I'd be really curious to see an actual rocker profile picture if anyone wants to post one.

mention—great stuff! Thanks. If Eric cares, I think it would be a mistake to do an aggressive factory detune of the Ren. I like my skis sharp and found that a pass or two with a soft (gray) gummy stone was enough for me on both of the pairs I owned. I think he could add the detuning suggestion in that letter that comes with each pair, though.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I've skied e'm. Go more back than forward IMO. I was submarining. But I'm also way too tall for the 184's. But my bud who's stocky and like 5"9 was also submarining so I'd still stay go more backward.

Sounds like Hoji is going to make sure that future models of this ski follow more of the reflect-tech. There is a minute bit of camber underfoot, and the rocker doesn't exactly match the sidecut. I'm still stoked to get on these as my skinnier touring ski, with a Spoon 120 for deep touring days.

Rocker:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416441086.498303.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	747.5 KB 
ID:	160596

Reflect-tech

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416441135.887856.jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	775.9 KB 
ID:	160597

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Eric got back to me with this

*We are working on slightly increasing the underfoot rocker on the Raven, we will have to build some new lower form block components as we are currently using the 186 Renegade form blocks to press the Ravens in SLC and this is contributing to the flattening out underfoot rocker profile."
    I'm reading this as the ski is still a work in progress. Is 2015/16 the year to buy these skis?

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I'm reading this as the ski is still a work in progress. Is 2015/16 the year to buy these skis?
    Depends on what you want. I'd say hurry up and buy this years

Most of the "white room" skis have small changes going on with them all the time. I think Matt said that the ravens have 9 different versions.

Odds are this is just a small, subtle change.

I have only had 1 short day on mine, but I think this might be the first 100mm ski that I like. Just been underwhelmed by lots of other options. seems to have the usually hoji ability to feather the edge from carve to pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Sounds like Hoji is going to make sure that future models of this ski follow more of the reflect-tech. There is a minute bit of camber underfoot, and the rocker doesn't exactly match the sidecut. I'm still stoked to get on these as my skinnier touring ski, with a Spoon 120 for deep touring days.

Rocker:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416441086.498303.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	747.5 KB 
ID:	160596

Reflect-tech

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416441135.887856.jpg 
Views:	688 
Size:	775.9 KB 
ID:	160597
    Received mine today and interestingly absolutely no camber or flat spot - jus a continuous low curve. Beautiful skis indeed!

1964 and 1939 grams undrilled

So 8.4 lbs are pair. Not as light as I thought they would come in at. Seems heavy for a ski that is only 102 under foot.

Normal for a ski without carbon, imo...

Quote Originally Posted by superdigg View Post
    Received mine today and interestingly absolutely no camber or flat spot - jus a continuous low curve. Beautiful skis indeed!

1964 and 1939 grams undrilled
    What number are yours? My set is #15. such a minute amount of camber, maybe they will flatten out after a bit. I really do like the idea of the White Room, but consistency is key. If two people review the same ski, one person liking it while the other doesn't - that's fine. I'm sure I'll enjoy mine, but I'd prefer if they were a little closer to what yours are shaped like. Oh well! Can't wait to get them on snow!
    Last edited by Graham; 12-01-2014 at 03:10 PM.