Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another "What car?" thread

I know, I know, but just wanted to get people's thoughts.

Open to new or used, budget is 15-25k (preferably), will be on the East Coast with a small commute 90% of the time and a commute to Boston from NH about 10% of the time. We'll be doing some light reno on our house and I need to carry bikes, climbing stuff and skis (duh). Prefer AWD, but aren't afraid of FWD in New England winters. A car-campable car would be a nice bonus. I can drive stick, and don't really give a fuck what people think of me, but it has to drive somewhat fun (no fucking wallowing RAV4's).

Hugh Conway Guest
    Subaru
    Audi
    4Runner
    Tacoma
    Honda Insight

1967 Maserati Ghibli w/Chevy engine conversion <- gives you better mileage, cheaper parts, but will get you the snub from your local tridentisti

Ghibli doesn't have space for racks.

We are in Yurp and my bros A3 diesel, while a 2 wheel drive, made me a believer with it's peppy drive and 60mpg I want a diesel awd wagon badly now.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Ill second a diesel AWD A3 if you can find one in your budget... Or an older model year A4 wagon has is slick too... Also tough to find.
    -deej
    I'm against picketing... but I don't know how to show it...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Subaru
    Fyi, at no point did he mention he was a lesbian.

No diesel A3's until Ohio or Virginia, unfortunately.

New imprezza (w hands off my artificially inseminated uterus sticker)
    Mazda cx-5 (more $ but rave reviews)
    Used Honda Pilot (newer gen)
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

IF you can find it, try and find a used Volvo V70 R. About my favorite wagon, but after two years of fruitless searching (within my state), I gave up and settled for a XC70. Still a nice car and all, but an R it is not. I think you'll have much better luck finding one in New England, though.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    We are in Yurp and my bros A3 diesel, while a 2 wheel drive, made me a believer with it's peppy drive and 60mpg I want a diesel awd wagon badly now.
    IME from the seat of a bicycle EVERY car that passed me on the other side of the pond was a diesel, all the A-3/A-4 Audi, all the BMW 3 & 4 series, all VW, Skoda,Peugeot, Fiat, Citroen, SEAT

OK maybe not all but >9 out of 10
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Don't buy a subie if you are over 6' tall, or anything japanese for that matter. Every time I sit in my subie I wish I still had my VW.

Mini and a bike/ski rack. Run the Bridgestone Blizzak during the winter. Pull the back seat and add a deck for the climbing gear. It is a sweet set up if you can live with front wheel drive.

Various Quatros are the other choice. Finally gave up on the Subies a few cars back. BMW and Audi build quality is higher imo.

acura tsx wagon.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

TSX starts north of 30k and is impossible to find used.

Honda products ftw. audi=junk. unless you buy new and trade em in at 60-70k.

rog

Yeah, one of the frontrunners right now is a used Element.

awesome vehicle. almost bought one of those 3 years ago as I was ready to trade in my beloved 95' accord wagon 5 speed. that accord with non studded Dunlop snows was absolutely unstoppable in even the most horrendous noreasters. ended up finding an 05 crv 5 speed (rare find) with 80k on it. like the accord i'll drive it till around 200k and pay cash for another used Honda with 80k. rinse repeat. the crv has been perfect. no snow tires needed with the awd system, gets upper 20's for mileage and I've only put a set of 300.00 brakes in it since I bought it 3 years and 50k miles ago. haven't even needed to tune her up. has a tilt glass back window and I can slide 2 12' stand up paddleboards. never bothered to put a roof rack on it. no need. unbolting the rear seats is easy and leaves you with van size room. easy to sleep in with all yer gear. with the stick it's got some torque too for hills and winter driving. much different than the automatics. it's got a timing chain instead of a belt so you never have to replace.

good luck with yer search!

rog

kia sportage awd, in your budget, great mpg and 10 yrs warranty

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    kia sportage awd, in your budget, great mpg and 10 yrs warranty
    Did you miss the fun to drive element of the post?

Don't get a Subaru. They are rattle traps that really only have two things going for them, reliability and awd. You can find that with any manufacturer these days.

The A3 is pretty much perfect for you. Cant get awd with a stick, but that seems a moot point so just go for it.

Audi reliability is hit or miss, but if you don't mind a couple non-essential electric snafus the car will get you where you need to go.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Did you miss the fun to drive element of the post?
    New Kia's are no less fun than a used Element.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I think a Honda Element that is relatively (for Honda) purpose built for outdoor adventures is a bit more fun than a Kia Mom mobile. But that's just me.
    Live Free or Die

subies aren't as reliable and are more expensive to fix. they have improved tho. audi's fun to drive? ya when they aren't costing you a 2nd mortgage to fix, or stranding you leaving the pow pow for the smart jap car driving folk.

if you don't have speed limits or po po departments in a town near you then, yes, go audi

rog

elements drive like they look like they would. a box on wheels, but super functional.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think a Honda Element that is relatively (for Honda) purpose built for outdoor adventures is a bit more fun than a Kia Mom mobile. But that's just me.
    So you haven't driven both? A used box on wheels vs a loaded mini SUV for the same price. He did say he didn't care what others thought of him. For the money, the KIA smokes the Element in every way.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Subaru's are still in the running, just for the fact that the new impreza is pretty baller for a feature/price standpoint.
    A3's were once my ideal car, but the latest generation of audi's are just dead-feeling, yet more expensive than a scooby with less space and the specter of VW/Audi electrics.

I'm willing to trade some level of "Fun-to-drive" for utility, such as the hose-outability and general usefulness of the element (they don't drive that bad either, driven them).

Haven't gotten around to checking Kia/Hyundais out, but I liked the kia sedan I had as a rental once.