Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thumbs up 2013/2014 Fall Days Afield!

Too early? Tough shit! I wanted to make sure this year's hunting thread got the appropriate title. That, and I've got a bigger boner than ever for hunting season.

Anyone draw anything special? When do you guys kick off? Our Speed Goat season is within view--I was practicing my 60 - 80 archery this afternoon and I know Conundrum has been, too.

What you got?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

FUCK YA! READY.

Archery e/s mulie, 2nd cow, 4th e/s, and hoping I can pull a doe tag.

Thanks Rev for starting this right. PM me with some contact info, b/c it's been too many years that I haven't met you. Did your new gig work out?

I don't think LB is in the hunt this year, but he know's my zone is always open.

What a great tradition this thread is. I can't wait.

Nor should all of you gals and guys. C'mon, post it all up.

Yeah!!!

Ive got 10 days of duck hunting on the Miss backwaters with a lab named Boomer.
    Nine day wi deer hunt on private land. Cameras are showing some nice velvet. One three day trip to Timber Lake sd for some pheasant. This sticky hell heat can go now.

Can't wait. Heading to Spink County, South Dakota for the annual pheasant hunt with my college roommate.

Awwwwww yeah. Trail cams have some monsters walking around on our GA lease.

Really stoked to have a good falconry season this year more than anything. The last two years have been relatively unproductive with an uncooperative Cooper's Hawk and new job/move. If all goes to plan I'll be taking over a Harris' Hawk and slaying the bunnies. Just gonna have to get the old guy into shape as he hasn't been flown at game with any serious intent in a few years.

Woot woot!
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

I posted this in Conundrums thread but I drew a Mtn Goat tag for my backyard unit and have been out scouting already. Good timing since our second little girl is due end of Oct and this may be the last summer for a while that I can give it the time it deserves. Also drew a 4th season elk tag if i can sneak out after the new baby arrives.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Cow tag in 49! Late November. I'll be hitting you up for some scouting reports!!!
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    Cow tag in 49! Late November. I'll be hitting you up for some scouting reports!!!
    Shit...I'll know exactly where they are after archery. DJ has that same tag. If it's anything like last year, you could come over, pop a Budweiser and shoot one off my deck.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Not a hunter, but I fucking love this thread every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This spot reservered for P-Dawgs 2013 SxS Pheasant Stoke

(Coming Oct 2013)

This Spot reserved for P-Dawgs 2013 Deer-Season Stoke

(Coming late Nov/Ealry Dec 2013)

We are closing in on upland season around the Tetons. Bout time to polish up the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    We are closing in on upland season around the Tetons. Bout time to polish up the gun.
    Wyoming start Sept 1, too?

Have dog, will travel...

So one nice aspect of my new job in the hunting industry is that I get to hunt...a lot. This fall I will be making multiple road trips across the mountain west, through the Dakotas and maybe all the way through the mid-west. I would LOVE to meet up with some of you and do some hunting. I will definitely bring my bird dog, Steve, and if things line up, I will likely have a deer rifle and setup, too, as there are a few open tags in Montana and elsewhere that I've been invited to hunt.

Let me know if you want to meet up. States include Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, CO and New Mexico at the very least. I will also be in Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois and Missouri but I'll more than likely fly for that one.

Anyone want to get after it?

I'm 10 minutes from DTW if you ever roll into my neck of the woods. Goes for you and Steve - my dogger is always ready to wrestle.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Just checking in, new hunter here. Just got my LTC and Finished my hunters education course. First season hunting this fall, looking forward to it.

Technically these guys can be hunted year round, but the thread is appropriate. Plus the Mags love bacon. We have a guide service in south carolina that I am part owner of. Lots of these guys make for some fun hunting and good eats.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Wyoming start Sept 1, too?
    August 16th this year, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    August 16th this year, I think.
    For grouse or what? I might be interested in swinging through there if you're game. That's our antelope archery season but I need to head out to Montana and could make it a swing-through.

Well...got some shitty news last night. My dad is suppose to come out to CO in September for a week of elk archery. He was so excited. He fell and broke the ball off his elbow and detached the tendons. Looks like surgery. He is 60. He wants to still come out and he wants me to find jut about crossbow. Anyone have any experience with getting a permit in Colorado?

He also has had multiple shoulder and back surgeries and a couple fused vertebrae in his neck. I guess we will see. He is pretty upset about it.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

For grouse or what? I might be interested in swinging through there if you're game. That's our antelope archery season but I need to head out to Montana and could make it a swing-through.

Damn. I thought WG&F moved it up this year. I was wrong. Our upland bird season starts 9/1. Mostly grouse. Pheasant east of here.

Drew a waterfowl tag in SD for a week in Bristol, with pheasant hunting too. I'll be with this knucklehead.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Just checked!!!!!"B" elk tag on the Clearwater Game Range for me, so I can shoot a buck there as well. Lucky 4%er on that one. #2 on a antelope damage hunt list. Keeping all 9 arrows inside 7"@ 53 yards this week.Work was really bad yesterday. So I picked up a handle of 1783 , and clicked buy now on the skis I wanted. woot

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Well...got some shitty news last night. My dad is suppose to come out to CO in September for a week of elk archery. He was so excited. He fell and broke the ball off his elbow and detached the tendons. Looks like surgery. He is 60. He wants to still come out and he wants me to find jut about crossbow. Anyone have any experience with getting a permit in Colorado?

He also has had multiple shoulder and back surgeries and a couple fused vertebrae in his neck. I guess we will see. He is pretty upset about it.
    You can use a crossbow, just not in archery season.

Have dog, will travel...

So one nice aspect of my new job in the hunting industry is that I get to hunt...a lot. This fall I will be making multiple road trips across the mountain west, through the Dakotas and maybe all the way through the mid-west. I would LOVE to meet up with some of you and do some hunting. I will definitely bring my bird dog, Steve, and if things line up, I will likely have a deer rifle and setup, too, as there are a few open tags in Montana and elsewhere that I've been invited to hunt.

Let me know if you want to meet up. States include Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, CO and New Mexico at the very least. I will also be in Wisconsin, Nebraska, Illinois and Missouri but I'll more than likely fly for that one.

Anyone want to get after it?
    I'm in Illinois, Chicago area, with a GWP puppy ready to hunt. Joining new hunt club this year. Yeah I know but not much wild around here. Could even do grouse in northern Wisconsin. Cabion outside Eagle River.