Page 41 of 97 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 2401

Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

There was a really good article a year or two ago (possibly posted here?) that spoke to the current pay to play system. In Europe, professional clubs have to pay a percentage of transfer fees to the youth clubs that trained the player - the longer you had him, the larger the percentage. So, teams are incentivized to recruit the best talent, at minimal cost to the player, as that is their path to money - not via player fees. A team in the us, or maybe it was up here in Canada, sued an MLS team for a portion of the transfer fee they received from a European club - don't know what happened with that.

There are clubs in Europe still funded by the career of one player (robben was one such player). Obviously youth teams from professional clubs reduce the likelihood of that in Europe, but not here. Anyways, an interesting take on it, I thought.

Edit: found the links

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...deandre-yedlin

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timein...n%3Fsource=dam
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Yeah, I recall the Brit who started our local club mentioning something about the way it was done over there. They all have club teams I believe and that was the model brought to the states. The $$ part is interesting though. Over there the money flows like water in the pros, here not so much.

Arena resigned. One small and token baby step for US soccer.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, I recall the Brit who started our local club mentioning something about the way it was done over there. They all have club teams I believe and that was the model brought to the states. The $$ part is interesting though. Over there the money flows like water in the pros, here not so much.
    True, but if a player were signed in Europe, it would still apply - it wouldn't be limited to players who play in America. And, even though the money here isn't huge, it all adds up and is incentive to have the best players join your club, not only the best players who have the money to pay to play.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    There was a really good article a year or two ago (possibly posted here?) that spoke to the current pay to play system. In Europe, professional clubs have to pay a percentage of transfer fees to the youth clubs that trained the player - the longer you had him, the larger the percentage. So, teams are incentivized to recruit the best talent, at minimal cost to the player, as that is their path to money - not via player fees. A team in the us, or maybe it was up here in Canada, sued an MLS team for a portion of the transfer fee they received from a European club - don't know what happened with that.

There are clubs in Europe still funded by the career of one player (robben was one such player). Obviously youth teams from professional clubs reduce the likelihood of that in Europe, but not here. Anyways, an interesting take on it, I thought.

Edit: found the links

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...deandre-yedlin

https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timein...n%3Fsource=dam
    In all my years of hysterical love for soccer, I did not know how they did things in Europe. Now I do.

Thanks!
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...mar-and-messi/

ISIS issues World Cup threats involving disturbing images of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar

Yeah, enjoy this one Ruski.

Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Italy out!

WTF. Sweden played well from what I saw though. My son's coach is from Italy...he's pretty devastated.

Good article, thanks.

I've thought alot about the "culture" side of things and how the US has a lot of sport culture built around (American) football/basketball/baseball. Hopefully soccer can sink some roots and really bring Americans to think more internationally.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Italy out!

WTF. Sweden played well from what I saw though. My son's coach is from Italy...he's pretty devastated.
    Sucks. Going to have to figure out who to root for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Sucks. Going to have to figure out who to root for now.
    https://twitter.com/rvkgrapevine/sta...37879227383809
    Reykjavík Grapevine‏ @rvkgrapevine Oct 9

We would like to offer a statement at this time.
    #IcelandSmites #WorldCup #ÁframÍsland #RoadToRussia #ISLKOS #fotboltinet #ISLpic.twitter.com/WjeTuEqKJI

crazy. not that i give a shit about the timbers in the least.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017...mbers-news-mls

I'm thinking he may have gotten tapped for the US national team

^^^ From what I've read, that sounds like a good thing.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Re: Porter, I really do not think it is for the USMNT. His previous international experience was poor. I think he needs a break, a move back the the Mid-West for his family, and a coach/GM position with someone like Cincinnati expansion team. There was always a weird dynamic here in Portland with him as coach, but Gavin Wilkinson as in control

I’d take Porter at the Rapids.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/ch...mnt-world-cup/

This makes me sad, though three and out would have been the most likely scenario in Russia. Also, no other veterans on the team that i know of could must more than a mea culpa tweet or obligatory brief interview.

Once again,Sergio Busquets is a genius.

14 points clear of Los Cabrones Blancos.

Visca Barca!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busquets is class. that being said, messi played his 400th game in la liga today and scored his 365th goal. it was his 16th goal in 16 games vs. levante in 3-0 win. say what you will but think he's the greatest player of all-time.

Was disappointed to see Liverpool sell Coutinho to Barca midway through the season, but it sounds like he'd made up his mind, and couldn't be convinced to stay longer. Sounds like it'll be Coutinho in La Liga, and Iniesta for CL.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Some nice upsets in the FA Cup matches today.

re: Coutinho - that basically happened in August

Anybody see Lichaj's 2 goals versus Arsenal in the FA Cup? He plays for Nottingham forest.

How good would Tottenham be if they could have kept Bale, and he had been able to stay healthy.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Tottenham went out and bought good players like Christensen and pochetino with the bale and modric money. They couldn’t have both.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums