Page 71 of 97 FirstFirst ... 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 2401
    Cool. it wasn't exactly my top choice to visit for a day, but a really long layover is better than a medium long layover as you can break up the trip by hanging out somewhere new. Thanks!

PSA:
    USA Cup tickets went on sale today at Lambeau, July 23rd. Manchester City vs Bayern.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Cool. it wasn't exactly my top choice to visit for a day, but a really long layover is better than a medium long layover as you can break up the trip by hanging out somewhere new. Thanks!
    Location and airlift are Frankfurts only strengths, but everyone speaks English.
    Def be good place to get out and walk around, have some beers and wursts.
    Spargel if it is season ( imagine a convention center bathroom in Europe being used by guys who have been eating white asparagus every day, half of them smoking while they piss)
    Ahh the memories

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Very. But I'm still not sure how this applies to Wrexham FC
    Wrexham beat. Stockport 3 nil to take the league lead on goal difference

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Wrexham beat. Stockport 3 nil to take the league lead on goal difference
    Need some help but have a chance (Stockport have a game in hand).

Also, good-on-ya to Woodsy for stepping up with the Wrexham stoke.

Man U needing to wind to stay in contention for top 4 end up getting crushed.

I'm not sure what is wrong. Ronaldo may not be one of the two best in the world anymore, but he can still score. There is offensive potential on that team with Sancho/Rashford. Pogba is a truly great player when he wants to be.

Even with disfunction and a square peg/round hole situation Man U should be better than this.

Quad is probably just about out of Liverpool's grasp now. Man City have a pretty easy last 3.

Even though Liverpool is clearly a better team it is just hard to bet against Madrid in the final. This season reminds me a bit of 2018. They get by PSG, when they were not expected to. They get by Juve, which was somewhat unexpected. They get outplayed by Bayern but still get through. Then Ramos shows how dirty he is and injures Salah, and Gareth Bale shows why he was still (at the time) one of the best players in the world.

This Madrid team has some emerging stars, but they don't have what that team had. But still....They just seem to find a way to win when they shouldn't. They get outplayed, and still get through. It just seems to happen for them. But Liverpool is really good, and still mad about 4 years ago.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

A bit bummed that Liverpool could only salvage a draw.. Kane and Son together are pretty freaking amazing. All in all pretty stoke even if we can't close either deal and end up sloppy second for both. It's been a fun season. Might try to follow things a little closer next season. We'll see what happens on the 28th. No hate for City here either.. As long as Man U's wallowing in mediocrity I'm good LOL!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    A bit bummed that Liverpool could only salvage a draw.. Kane and Son together are pretty freaking amazing. All in all pretty stoke even if we can't close either deal and end up sloppy second for both. It's been a fun season. Might try to follow things a little closer next season. We'll see what happens on the 28th. No hate for City here either.. As long as Man U's wallowing in mediocrity I'm good LOL!
    Both teams are my favorites and a draw helped neither team, so that sucked. I love watching Kane and Son almost as much as Salah and Mane.

City likely sealed it today. We’ll see though.

Everton hanging on for dear life with two big wins and are now out of relegation for now.
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 05-08-2022 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Both teams are my favorites and a draw helped neither team, so that sucked. I love watching Kane and Son almost as much as Salah and Mane.
    So..
    um

Yeah not really sure how you can....
    I mean, well its just that, you see..
    its kinda

Ok, maybe we go back to a question posed earlier.

How did Spurs and Liverpool become your favourite teams? Is Everton # 3 despite the rivalry?

Do you have favourites on the Continent as well despite the likely CL showdowns?

If it aint broke, fix it anyway!

The number of teams in the Champions League will rise from 32 to 36 from the 2024-25 season under changes approved by Uefa.

Under the new format, each team will play eight games over 10 match weeks.

Two of the additional four places will be awarded on the basis of the highest performing countries in each individual season of Uefa club competition.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said it meant "the dream to participate will remain for all clubs".

A previous proposal to award two Champions League places to clubs on the basis of their historic performance in European competition will not come into effect.

Under that rejected proposal, those places would have been assigned on the basis of a club's coefficient.

Critics argued that this would have favoured the traditionally 'bigger' clubs and provided them with a safety net if they performed poorly in a season.

Another change from the original plans has seen the number of games in the group phase increased from six to eight - rather than a proposed 10.

Ceferin said the new format had been approved unanimously by Uefa's executive committee, with the agreement of Europe's league bodies and national associations.

He added: "Qualification will thus remain purely based on sporting performance and the dream to participate will remain for all clubs."

So how will the new format work?
    The current format sees teams divided up into eight groups of four, with teams playing each other home and away over six games.

The top two in each group progress to the last 16 when it becomes a knockout tournament, with ties played home and away over two legs, before the final at a neutral venue over one match.

The new format will see the initial phase contain one single league table, which includes all teams.

Each club will play eight league stage games against different opponents, with four home ties and four away.

The top eight will go through to the knockout stage, while those from ninth to 24th will compete in a two-legged play-off to progress.

Uefa added that "similar format changes will also be applied to the Europa League (eight matches in the league stage) and Europa Conference League (six matches in the league stage) and both will also include 36 teams in the league phase".

so snow show in 2024 you can cheer for all your favourites Liverpool, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, ACMilan and Juventus in the CL!

so snow show in 2024 you can cheer for all your favourites Liverpool, Tottenham, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, ACMilan and Juventus in the CL!
    There are many different reasons to pick a home team. or teams..

Some folks will pull for a team that they have zero actual connation to. Durham is full of DOOK fans that never got to go to college. Some folks (me) will pull for several teams because they've lived long term in 4-5 different locations over their lives.

I've put in over 10 years in 5 different cities across the country. I pull for the current hoe team first and foremost.. but when they're out I'll roll back to a team that used to be my "home team" someplace else. Or, you can be "THAT GUY" who still wears the jersey from the team where he lived when they were 6 years old even though they've long since left that place and have decades living their lives in another home base location..

Whatever! Spend your money and time cheering for whoever the fuck you want whenever the fuck you want..

I've put in over 10 years in 5 different cities across the country. I pull for the current hoe team first and foremost.. but when they're out I'll roll back to a team that used to be my "home team" someplace else. Or, you can be "THAT GUY" who still wears the jersey from the team where he lived when they were 6 years old even though they've long since left that place and have decades living their lives in another home base location..

I suppose.
    I am a Dodger fan because of where I was born. I lived in 6 different states since before I graduated HS, but kept the Dodgers as I moved from place to place. Consistency. I went to college in So Cal so that made it easier to go to more games.
    After that Aspen, SLC, NYC, CT, still a Dodgers fan. How the fk could I become a Yankees fan when they played us in 3 WS when I was a kid?

Manchester United Came to me in 93 when I lived in UK with a flatmate from Salford. Non trad student, older than all the rest of us, worked in the mines up north and Union put him forward for a Uni program. Family was Old Trafford Season ticket holders through good and bad times there. In 92-93, Sir Alex and the youngsters plus ERIC FKN CANTONA along with the history of the club I learned from Antony sold me on United and I have been a fan since. Sat in his families seats ( which he had to sell but still gets first shout when he wants, like when I visit) multiple times in the Stretford end. Wasnt easy to follow them out west in the 90s ( learned about the treble from a NYT sports page at the front desk of my hotel) but once i moved to NYC I started watching most every match. That continued to CT. Even through the shit they have put out there the last few years

I am a fan of the game and love watching good teams be good ( see Liverpool comment above) and to para phrase Msr Cantona from a few years ago before a derby:

On one side my heart was, is, and will forever be beating for United. On the other side, there is this bald guy whose vision of "total football" gives me a f****** hard on. Come on United
    Have a few Barca and AC Milan friends from work or the pub who appreciate I dont just see everything through a PL or MUFC lens. There are teams I prefer in their respective leagues and even some PL teams I enjoy like Villa, but I will always support United and whatever outcome is best for United.

Cheer for who you want, when and where you want ( I wear Blue Jays Hats to Yankees games when they are in town) but you are a fair weather transient fan. Which is fine.

Also Favourite means "preferred before all others of the same kind" one cannot have multiple favourites.

Very sincerely,
    THAT GUY

If it aint broke, fix it anyway!

The number of teams in the Champions League will rise from 32 to 36 from the 2024-25 season under changes approved by Uefa.

Under the new format, each team will play eight games over 10 match weeks.

Two of the additional four places will be awarded on the basis of the highest performing countries in each individual season of Uefa club competition.

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin said it meant "the dream to participate will remain for all clubs".

A previous proposal to award two Champions League places to clubs on the basis of their historic performance in European competition will not come into effect.

Under that rejected proposal, those places would have been assigned on the basis of a club's coefficient.

Critics argued that this would have favoured the traditionally 'bigger' clubs and provided them with a safety net if they performed poorly in a season.

Another change from the original plans has seen the number of games in the group phase increased from six to eight - rather than a proposed 10.

Ceferin said the new format had been approved unanimously by Uefa's executive committee, with the agreement of Europe's league bodies and national associations.

He added: "Qualification will thus remain purely based on sporting performance and the dream to participate will remain for all clubs."

So how will the new format work?
    The current format sees teams divided up into eight groups of four, with teams playing each other home and away over six games.

The top two in each group progress to the last 16 when it becomes a knockout tournament, with ties played home and away over two legs, before the final at a neutral venue over one match.

The new format will see the initial phase contain one single league table, which includes all teams.

Each club will play eight league stage games against different opponents, with four home ties and four away.

The top eight will go through to the knockout stage, while those from ninth to 24th will compete in a two-legged play-off to progress.

Uefa added that "similar format changes will also be applied to the Europa League (eight matches in the league stage) and Europa Conference League (six matches in the league stage) and both will also include 36 teams in the league phase".
    I'm reading this to say that EPL, Bunda, League 1 and La Liga now will get 5 teams.

Tell me the Super League is not dead without saying the Super League is not dead. No "super league", but this gets the big teams almost everything they wanted.

I
    Very sincerely,
    THAT GUY
    Honest question.. If the Dodgers totally sucked and were always bottom of the division would you have stuck with them through all the other life changes?

Sometimes the little kid crush team follows you around. Learned to play hockey when my family moved to MN when I was 7. Fast forward through college in Oklahoma and starting post college life in New York mid 80s.. Mets won, Giants won.. Islanders started sucking all of a sudden so stuck with the North stars mostly. Good times.

Then moved to Dallas area in the 90s... and the North Stars moved to Dallas. My MN friends were super pissed. I was super stoked.. then they won the cup, more pissed and more stoked. . Cowboys were also good while I was there. I HATED the Cowboys my whole life... Dallas knocked the Vikings out of the NFC Championship and broke my heart when I was a little kid;

But, 25 years later and lots of alcohol fueled parties with new friends in Dallas taking me to games... and on top of that they were GOOD. Ya, no problem changing my spots some and hopping on that bandwagon.

Now been in NC since 1999. Double the time I've lived anyplace else.

Never liked the Texas Rangers though..

Speaking of "That Guy" one of my best lifelong friends from college and band mates lived in LA as a little kid. Dad took him to Rams games and he's never liked another NFL team. Rams all day every day for 50 years after leaving LA.. But he did go back. Here's the kicker. He's also always been a YANKEES FAN??????

Whatever! Go with what makes you happy and have fun!

Honest question.. If the Dodgers totally sucked and were always bottom of the division would you have stuck with them through all the other life changes?

Sometimes the little kid crush team follows you around. Learned to play hockey when my family moved to MN when I was 7. Fast forward through college in Oklahoma and starting post college life in New York mid 80s.. Mets won, Giants won.. Islanders started sucking all of a sudden so stuck with the North stars mostly. Good times.

Then moved to Dallas area in the 90s... and the North Stars moved to Dallas. My MN friends were super pissed. I was super stoked.. then they won the cup, more pissed and more stoked. . Cowboys were also good while I was there. I HATED the Cowboys my whole life... Dallas knocked the Vikings out of the NFC Championship and broke my heart when I was a little kid;

But, 25 years later and lots of alcohol fueled parties with new friends in Dallas taking me to games... and on top of that they were GOOD. Ya, no problem changing my spots some and hopping on that bandwagon.

Now been in NC since 1999. Double the time I've lived anyplace else.

Never liked the Texas Rangers though..
    I can't answer for that poster, but I will give my perspective.

I grew up in the Mid-Hudson Valley as a Red Sox fan. My dad grew up in New Hampshire, so that's where that came from.

I lived in California when I was 6 and watched Joe Montana win the Super Bowl in the 81/82 season. My dad had never really gotten all that involved in Football, he was a Bosox/Celtics fan primarily, but we both became niners fans.

The niners and the Red Sox are my teams. I stick with them through thick and thin. Nothing will change that with those teams.

As far as the Celtics, I enjoyed watching them in the 80s, but I was always more of a fair weather basketball fan. I never got all that into it.

In addition to baseball, I also played soccer and hockey growing up. For obvious reasons I never became a fan of any particular team in soccer.

I started playing hockey at age 10, later than the other sports. I loved watching hockey games, but I was more a fan of the sport and of the players than of any one team. I stopped playing hockey at 16 and really stopped following it then. The teams I rooted for had more to do with the players, and enjoying watching those teams play, then true loyalty.

As for soccer, In college in the 1990s I enjoyed it when I could watch a game, but I only became really involved during the world cup. There simply were not all that many games available to watch then. In the summer of 97 I spent 5 weeks in Rome and got to see Ronaldo jerseys everywhere. He had just signed for Inter and the whole nation was buzzing, apparently even fans of Roma and Lazio.

I have never had any team that has truly been ingrained in me. There are teams I like to watch play and players I like. I will typically have teams I root for during a given period. I have always enjoyed watching Bayern and I tend to root for them. I like Chelsea, partially because I like Pulisic and Werner (two guys who could maybe use a change of scenery, although Werner seems to finally have regained some confidence), and there are other teams I enjoy watching. Liverpool, Tottenham and maybe Dortmund. I like watching ManU during their glory days.

But I am certainly something of a fair weather fan. I don't have any particular team that I root for through thick and thin. I am not emotionally invested in any team. I have tended to root for Bayern in the UCL, but there is nothing particularly binding about that.

Just my .02 cents on sports loyalties. If Pulisic left Chelsea I wouldn't root for them quite the way I do. I tend to try to watch their games when I can.

Real Madrid has always bugged me for some reason. Athletic also seriously bothers me because of their tactics, although I love Antoine Greitzman.

I live in Newport Beach and I attend Angels games occasionally. I do tend to root for both them and the Dodgers, although not against the Red Sox. I rooted for the Dodgers against the Rays. That was probably more due to the fact that I like lots of their players, I like Dave Roberts and I thought they fundamentally deserved a title after how well they had played over the last few years.

I could never adopt the Angels or the Dodgers over the Red Sox though. That will simply never happen.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post

I lived in California when I was 6 and watched Joe Montana win the Super Bowl in the 81/82 season. My dad had never really gotten all that involved in Football, he was a Bosox/Celtics fan primarily, but we both became niners fans.
    Ya when the team in your new permanent place of residence is winning championships it's hard not to adopt them as at least a second best favorite. I have trouble sorting out who I really want to win when the Stars play the Canes. I'll wear a Stars jersey to the PNC arena sometimes, kid always rocks Canes. But if they should meet in the Stanley Cup playoffs I'd probably go with the Hurricanes. Wife and kids would disown me if I rooted against the Hurricanes at that level.. FWIW, the first time Carolina raised The Cup it was on my birthday.. so there's that too.

Hoping someday when the nest is empty and we're on that retirement trip to Europe I can see Liverpool play in person.. I know it's pretty hard to get tickets to something like that though..

Liverpool’s win tonight keeps championship hope alive. Just need City to slip up.

Supposedly Haaland to Man City is now official

51m is so low for a superstar of his caliber who is that young. City have to be really pumped on that release clause. In a sense, so does Haaland. With the clause being that low he could have gone to any of the bigger clubs really.

I guess his dad played for city.

51m is so low for a superstar of his caliber who is that young. City have to be really pumped on that release clause. In a sense, so does Haaland. With the clause being that low he could have gone to any of the bigger clubs really.

Well they are one of the richest/strongest teams in the world and have need for a center forward. They will likely be PL/UCL favorites next year.

Several articles mention that he eventually wants to play in Spain, but Barca have no money at the moment and Madrid has Benzema still in top form and possibly Mbappe incoming.

Not sure.
    Atlanta was the only other place I lived that had a baseball team ( Dad saw Aarons record breaker)
    Was honestly a pretty casual fan of baseball until I moved to NYC and was around it and its fans all the time.

I did drop the Lakers for the Jazz at 12 when I moved to Utah in 84.
    SO Dodgers since the 70s
    Jazz from the 80s
    &
    United from the 90s

Pretty set in my ways

His dad played for Leeds too
    Taunted Keane for diving once

Then he moved to City and Keano ended his fucking Career
    Warning, this tackle is not for the faint hearted

Holy shit that tackle is brutal. Always hated Keane, piece of shit dirty player. Shame nobody gave him the same treatment. If he had been playing for a lesser team he’d be a pariah. But the press protected him because he was a United player. Love seeing United down and out with their crappy owners. Hope it happens to all the new clubs who’ve super rich owners have bought them prestige (funny how United’s owners have just fleeced the club), fuck city, psg and Chelsea.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

De Bruyne with 4 goals today.