Page 69 of 97 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 2407
    Championship is brutal.

and yeah I love soccer but I don’t really enjoy MLS

US college soccer is generally more entertaining to me

stoked to see that 22,000 came out to St James’ Park to watch the Newcastle ladies this weekend
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I've loved going to MLS games in person in the past. When I lived in DC I went to a bunch of United games and it was some of the most fun I had in the city. The tailgating was debaucherous (as long as you walked past the Screaming Eagles section to the Barra Brava section on the dirt in the back) and energy at the games was great. It was loud, constant singing, jumping, drums, things being tossed about. It was in RFK, so while they couldn't come close to filling the upper decks, it did help the sound reverberate. Even when I was going regularly though, I never really got that much out of watching on TV, whereas I was at the time watching La Liga on a tiny, choppy stream every week.

Speaking of La Liga, Madrid officially clinched it this weekend, which makes Carlo Ancellotti the only manager to win the title in all of Europe's top five leagues. He isn't talked about as much as the philosopher/character managers like Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, etc., but he's had impressive success everywhere he's went.

Anybody else following Wrexham and their furious close on the top spot (promotion?) They took a bit of a hit today, but it's still possible.

Of they could win the playoffs...

Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Did they used to play the MLS all-stars against a top 6 PM team? Was kinda competitive but the PM teams didn't really care to try too hard or play their best players much.

Random note: I'm kinda annoyed that Arsenal is giving me hope. Would be more human to just end it now rather than waiting a few more weeks for the collapse.
    Either Tottenham and Arsenal will be looking to torment their fans this month. And they play each other, right?

United will continue to torment their fans and miss out.

Haven’t been to an MLS game…maybe I’ll go to a Rapids game soon.

+1 tp US pro soccer in person but hardly worth following remotely on TV. Last NASL game we went to one of my kids high school teachers/coaches was the ref and the kid got to be a ball boy. A bunch of his friends and other folks from our neighborhood were there. That was pretty fucking fun...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    +1 tp US pro soccer in person but hardly worth following remotely on TV. Last NASL game we went to one of my kids high school teachers/coaches was the ref and the kid got to be a ball boy. A bunch of his friends and other folks from our neighborhood were there. That was pretty fucking fun...
    My son and I have been going to Las Vegas Lights (USL team) games. They don't have the atmosphere of the DC United games, but they're cheap, low key, and he enjoys them. They do all sorts of minor league promotions (last game it was bring your dog and race them at half time) and after the game they let the kids on the field to run around. If they were a bit closer to me in the metro area, I'd get season tickets (which are also cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    My son and I have been going to Las Vegas Lights (USL team) games. They don't have the atmosphere of the DC United games, but they're cheap, low key, and he enjoys them. They do all sorts of minor league promotions (last game it was bring your dog and race them at half time) and after the game they let the kids on the field to run around. If they were a bit closer to me in the metro area, I'd get season tickets (which are also cheap).
    I went to a bunch of Minnesota Kicks NASL games back from 78-81. They were like rock stars at the time..

NASL was fun

I grew up going to Earthquakes games. Met George Best, Georgio Chinaglia, Pele, and Crazy George

Champions League Final Four game tomorrow. It's not broadcast here :-( I gotta work anyway but will try to keep the score updated on the side computer...

Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

Paramount+ has it

you can listen on BBC Sounds app - 5 Live Sport

and BBC Sport website and The Guardian both have good match commentary

Liverpool named a strong side, cant see Villareal beating them by 3.

City v. Real is gonna be gunfight.

Honestly think Real go trough and beat Liverpool in the final. They have wrapped up the liga and as mentioned above Acelotti while lauded is still criminally underrated.

Well Villareal isn't going down quietly. They've always been one of my favorite La Liga sides as they generally play decent football and some of their sides over the years have been great to watch.

I don't have as good a feeling about Madrid-City (I'm rooting for Madrid). Madrid's defense is banged up and Militao has gone from looking imperious for much of the year to looking really shaky in the last 6 weeks or so. Mendy hasn't looked quite as shaky, but injuries have downgraded him from a wall to adequate. Casemiro hasn't really looked up to his previous level all season. He's been ok, but has seem to have reverted in his distribution/confidence when pressed. We shall see though. Benz, Vini, Modric, UCL Rodrygo, and Courtois (who was subpar in the first leg but has been great all year) give them a puncher's chance in any matchup.

We all live in a Yellow Submarine, a Yellow Submarine....

Never enjoyed being wrong so much before

FUCK!!! 2 shots the entire first half?? vs 2 goals, one in three fucking minutes?? Yikes!!

Well looking very good on paper everywhere but the scoreboard.. still down one...

And now tied!

And now up one.. Thanks for sharing this stoke with me. I'd hate to post alone..

4 2 on aggregate
    Lpool likely through, but enjoyed that first half

Probably missed this TL/DR but of everyone active here lately. who's your club and why did you pick them?

My grandfather did a bunch of family tree history stuff back in the 70s and traced his side of my family back to Liverpool in the 1700s.. Some great uncle or grandfather with my last name was actually mayor of Liverpool back in the late 1700s. There's also a street with my name on it in Liverpool.. like one block long but still hahaha..

So of course that makes England a favorite NT after USA is out in stuff.. Mexico third just because my neighbors like them.

Let's hear who you like most and what factors caused you to pick them...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Well Villareal isn't going down quietly. They've always been one of my favorite La Liga sides as they generally play decent football and some of their sides over the years have been great to watch.

I don't have as good a feeling about Madrid-City (I'm rooting for Madrid). Madrid's defense is banged up and Militao has gone from looking imperious for much of the year to looking really shaky in the last 6 weeks or so. Mendy hasn't looked quite as shaky, but injuries have downgraded him from a wall to adequate. Casemiro hasn't really looked up to his previous level all season. He's been ok, but has seem to have reverted in his distribution/confidence when pressed. We shall see though. Benz, Vini, Modric, UCL Rodrygo, and Courtois (who was subpar in the first leg but has been great all year) give them a puncher's chance in any matchup.
    For some reason I see Madrid going through. I really don't have a dog in the fight, and I think City are a better team at this point, but Madrid have so much history and lots of guys who have been there before. There is not much logic to my thinking, don't bet the deed to your house, just a bit of a gut feeling. I don't see Madrid panicking. They didn't in Manchester when City were really outplaying them, and they ended up only losing by 1, which gives them a solid chance. Madrid doesn't have any real pressure on them. They almost can't lose in regards to this season. They have won La Liga and gotten further in the UCL than most would have expected. City really cannot win at this point. If they go through they will be doing what is expected. City is taking the penalty kick. Madrid is in goal, metaphorically speaking.

City really need this, and in many ways so does Pep. Pep won the UCL at Barcelona. At Bayern he had lots of success, but he was never able to break through and get that UCL title, and that was with a team that was basically one of the three best in the world while he was there. Most of the stuff I read was that while Pep's Bayern teams always won Germany and just about always made the semis of the UCL, they never made it to the final or won. So far it has been the same for City, other than making the final last season. City has won the PL many times of late, Pep came to win the UCL. If he is unable to to so with two of the really great teams of his time, Bayern and City, it does do something to his legacy. I'm not saying he is not a great manager, clearly he is, but if he wants to get to the next threshold he needs to win another. City have lots of great players who really need this too. If Madrid get a couple of quick goals I don't see City reacting calmly. It will be a sense of 'here we go again' for the franchise.

Or, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe, like the Bosox in 2004, this is the year City gets down in Madrid and DOESN'T panic. Maybe this is the year the demons get exercised.

The tie is now settled barring a miracle. I will give Villareal credit. They attacked in the first half. They really brought it to a better team. They should be proud.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    Paramount+ has it.
    You can listen on BBC Sounds app - 5 Live Sport
    And BBC Sport website and The Guardian both have good match commentary
    CBS also broadcasts it on its Spanish channel for free. Univision, or KCECD, or 647 on my Xfinity channels.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Did they used to play the MLS all-stars against a top 6 PM team? Was kinda competitive but the PM teams didn't really care to try too hard or play their best players much.

Random note: I'm kinda annoyed that Arsenal is giving me hope. Would be more human to just end it now rather than waiting a few more weeks for the collapse.
    So to answer my question, no one gives a shit about Wrexham but me.

Fair. But I'm invested now.

Real Betis fan, lived in Sevilla working as a teacher for 4 years and had season tickets.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-the...betis-in-final

Tell me another team with fans like that. They’re not a perennial winner bet they have the best fans in the world and being a member of the tribe is awesome. Last summer biking in PC wearing my Betis shirt I was serenaded with their anthem. 4 Spanish guys beyond stoked to chat with a Betis fan. Went to the bar with them for 3 hours after my ride.

I was rooting for Villarreal just because I like to see underdogs beat the big boys. It was an entertaining match.

Rooting for Real tonight. I like what they’ve been doing and I’m digging Benzema this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    CBS also broadcasts it on its Spanish channel for free. Univision, or KCECD, or 647 on my Xfinity channels.
    The game is on CBS proper today.

It's on CBS here right now and my afternoon meeting canceled, NICE!

yeah all my patients cancelled this afternoon so I’ll get to watch the 2nd half