Page 1 of 96 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

The CONCACAF Gold Cup match between Martinique and Canada ended as it should - with a Hail Mary Goal with 30 seconds left in extra time. Martinique had been shelling the Canadian goalie who, despite his team's unwillingness to play D, stopped everything but the last shot from 20 meters.

Fun finish! I love it when a team from a country with 1/100th the population of their opponents wins.

Hugh Conway Guest
    leftover from last weekend:
    Couldn't help but think Spain looked completely drained. Those guys need some time off. Brasil? Who knows what team will turn up next year.

Would have been interesting to see what would have happened to Brazil's strategy had some cards been given for the persistent fouling.
    In with the 9.

Spain v Brazil was very fun. Definitely wonder what the one less day and extra time took out of Spain, but Brazil looked great and just took it to them. And with the US playing well, I'm ready for next years cup.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Possibly the least enthusiastic thread title ever. But hey I get it, it's soccer.
    Last edited by iceman; 07-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    he's probably watching Mexico-Panama a dire match if ever there were one.

meh, didn't think the fouls were that bad by Brasil; teams have now learned how to foul Spain. Not just the loss of a day and the longer game, it's the 5 years of straight through football for most of the spanish starters.

Is this where we casually say britishisms like "pitch" and "kit" and "side" to show our worldly sophistication and familiarity with "the beautiful game?".

Are there bonus points for mentioning Georgie best or pretending to know what "who ate all the pies" was all about.

Oh, um, Wayne Rooney. 'Nother Boddy's please, mate....
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Possibly the least enthusiastic thread title ever. But hey I get it, it's soccer.
    Had more to do with the specificity of any soccer/footy thread here on TGR. Still worthy despite my tone.

Mexico/Panama is fun to watch as we type. The DC United/Seattle Sounders game the other day was fun as well -- great crowd in CenturyLink field -- despite my team losing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Is this where we casually say britishisms like "pitch" and "kit" and "side" to show our worldly sophistication and familiarity with "the beautiful game?".

Are there bonus points for mentioning Georgie best or pretending to know what "who ate all the pies" was all about.

Oh, um, Wayne Rooney. 'Nother Boddy's please, mate....

PNWbrit is going to be so pissed you stepped all over his bit.

I'll jump in though. That Spain-Italy match last week was something to see. Glad I was able to catch it.

Crumpets.
    I still call it The Jake.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    PNWbrit is going to be so pissed you stepped all over his bit.
    what, scornfully mocking american culture?

Population by country:

Mexico: 117,409,830
    Panama: 3,661,868

You telling me Mexico can't find anyone intheir country decent at soccer who is 6'+? The Panamanians make them look like midgets in the corner kicks.

Hugh Conway Guest
    The US is into the Semi's for the Gold Cup, mexico still playing like shit and.......

Gerardo Martinois the new Barca coach (who?...oh, Messi was in the youth program)

Bump for real football. Anybody watching? Solid game today between Barca and Sevilla. Messi was pretty invisible today but his run in the 93rd minute to set up the goal was vintage.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Bale scores in his Real debut, Ronaldo scores and gets a boost to the most expensive player anywhere.
    Oezil looked awesome in the first half for Arsenal - Wednesday vs. Marseille should be interesting.
    Manc City looked like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Oezil looked awesome in the first half for Arsenal
    Yeah, not sure if he'll be enough to save Arsenal, but Ozil is world class. Bad move by Real to dump him, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    Dude, you're a real zero. I mean "nil".

Ozil is a maestro but gunners already had fabregas - with van persie and still never fully realized last decades greatness. Then sold them both and now are rebuilding the German team from the last decade too.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Yeah, not sure if he'll be enough to save Arsenal, but Ozil is world class. Bad move by Real to dump him, IMHO.
    It wont change things for Arsenal in the Prem. I still don't think they are deep enough to jump ahead of City/Chelski/Utd . It will make a difference in the CL. Arsenal usually gets drawn into a mickey mouse group and sleep walks into the knockout round. This year is going to be different and even with Ozil are going to have to fight to get out of that group.

4 minutes into Swansea v Liverpool and the game's already going nuts.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Could be a tough year for Arsenal but if any year this is one which might see some disruption w/new coaches at city, chelski and poonited. This liverpool isn't great but currently seem to have more fight (even without bitey) than some of the other contenders. have to think the pressures on city for champions league, not elsewhere.

Fuckers flop more than Vlade Divac
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Psyched for the champions league today! Hard to decide what match to watch but I think I'm going with Galatasaray v Madrid. Those Turkish fans get fucking rowdy and create an amazing atmosphere, hopefully it helps Gala pull of the upset just like last year.

yeah that seems like the best game to watch - maybe monitor ManU v Leverkusen

git them little boots?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

i'll be watching the Real v Gala game. ManU have nothing exciting about them at the moment.

Still cant believe Arsenal scored Ozil. My hack theory is that Perez was pissed at Levy for overcharging so much for Bale. Perez was gonna get his man, so he paid whatever price, but still way over the odds and it left him pissed at Levy. So Perez turned around and sold Ozil to Tottenham's biggest rival, for spite as much as to recoup some cash. Anyway, pumped for Arsenal to have a player so suited to their game. A stepup over Cesc, IMO.