Page 67 of 97 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2407
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I mean, don't get me wrong, I groaned loudly enough at Pefok's miss that my wife came over to see if I had somehow injured myself. On the balance of chances, we were the better team and should have taken the three points. But there was lots of good too. I thought the center back pairing looked really good. I thought we did a good job pressing, especially early.

Having watched the whole game, I wouldn't have expected a cruise had Pulisic buried his chance. I thought the last 10 minutes when the US decided to play for the draw were where Mexico was most dangerous. I would have been afraid that we would have decided to defend that lead and I am not confident enough in our counterattack to relieve the pressure. Obviously I'd have preferred that Pulisic scored, but I don't think it would have been a cruise in any case.
    yeah even yesterday’s 5-1 didn’t feel like a cruise
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Christian Eriksen scores on the same pitch he collapsed from a cardiac arrest on less than a year ago.

Hellz yeah

Are we gonna score tonight or what??
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

yes what?

what

maybe

what?

I guess we didn't need to. Something like just needed to lose by less than 6 to advance?? Oh well, not looking like a knockout rounds team but at least we're in the group play so we'll find out. After that, go England!

US soccer is still pretty weak

I honestly didn’t even realize that it’s the MLS season

I’d rather watch English lower leagues any day

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

I honestly didn’t even realize that it’s the MLS season

I’d rather watch English lower leagues any day
    Agreed. Although I did watch NASL on TV in the late 70s I've really only enjoyed Y2K US soccer seeing games in person. Premiere or Champions League, ITL ball I do enjoy a lot more.. Was way more in to it during my 40s while still coaching my kids rec league ball but still enjoy it, just not as religiously as a decade ago. Pretty popular around the water cooler/online and IRL working for a global company... It's that or cricket LOL!

USA is in pot 2 so draw dependent we should get to the knockout round if everyone stays fit.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    The more I think about this the more I'm at a loss for why. I get that back in the 70s soccer was not popular and youth programs were few and far between... That's how I was able to be good enough to play Varsity in 9th grade LOL..

But these days it's every bit as strong as hockey, with traveling teams, big money and big commitments, strong college interest, etc yet here we are still mediocre at the global level. We're actually better at skiing on the global stage with far fewer inputs at the youth level than we have for soccer.

Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The more I think about this the more I'm at a loss for why. I get that back in the 70s soccer was not popular and youth programs were few and far between... That's how I was able to be good enough to play Varsity in 9th grade LOL..

But these days it's every bit as strong as hockey, with traveling teams, big money and big commitments, strong college interest, etc yet here we are still mediocre at the global level. We're actually better at skiing on the global stage with far fewer inputs at the youth level than we have for soccer.
    I’ve never understood it, given that so many kids play it and that so many soccer moms push for it

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I’ve never understood it, given that so many kids play it and that so many soccer moms push for it
    I think maybe some of it is too many choices, and kids want tp play everything.. counter that with Costa Rica where it's either soccer or maybe baseball.. So they get a lot more playing time focusing on JUST soccer in places like that, Mexico, European countries where it's soccer or rugby, maybe cricket.. American kids have too many options???

EDIT and DUH... MONEY! Good athletes here look at NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and MSL.. If they're talented enough to choose which sport to pursue seriously they go after... $$$$$$$$$

The US Is one of the top 15 teams in the world, hence Pot 2 in the draw.
    Soccer is THE premier sport in s ores of countries we are better than.
    We are young and improving.

$? Pulisic makes $8 mil a year plus sponsors.

The money issue in play is it costs too much to keep your kid in a good program in the US, in many other countries the development of youth is funded.
    That French world cup winning team was built from the ghettos of Paris and Marseilles.

^^^^
    Soccer in this country is mainly a middle class sport where kids particle via private clubs that their parents pay for. MLS team now having developmental teams will make the USA better. Bringing more of the working class Latino population into our system will really improve the team.

USA WC group
    Engerland
    Iran
    winner of Wales v Scotland/Ukraine

We could win this group or finish DFL

Should be interesting. Plus with this weird corrupt fall WC, England USA is on Friday after Thanksgiving. great day to be at the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    <snip>
    The money issue in play is it costs too much to keep your kid in a good program in the US, in many other countries the development of youth is funded.
    That French world cup winning team was built from the ghettos of Paris and Marseilles.
    This^^

Some of the best players are probably never identified, because it costs so much to participate on top-tier youth leagues...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Pretty sure it costs more to fund kids on traveling hockey teams or ski academies than it does to raise a college scholarship level soccer player.. And the US is pretty damned good at those two other things...

Man, Tottenham can look so good in spurts.

What a game Liverpool/City will be next week.
    Last edited by The SnowShow; 04-03-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Crystal Palace kicks the shit out of Arsenal. Offta!!

Oofff another bad Arsenal loss. Man U as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Pretty sure it costs more to fund kids on traveling hockey teams or ski academies than it does to raise a college scholarship level soccer player.. And the US is pretty damned good at those two other things...
    That’s the point. USA is mostly good at bougie sports that have a high barrier to entry.

And Basketball.

Liverpool and City 2-2. Going to be interesting down the stretch.

That was a great game. I really thought that last minute chip show was going to go.

What the fuck is wrong with Bayern and pretty good Spanish teams?

In the last decade in the Champions League they have been knocked out twice by Athletico and now by Villareal.

They were also probably better than Real Madrid when Madrid beat them in 2018. That Madrid team really was able to pull it together. But that is different, that team, while it underachieved in Spain and looked certain not the win another UCL, had a host of superstars.

In terms of Athletico and Villareal, they simply were not on Bayern's level. I guess that was Athletico's M.O., sit back and then have Greitzman (who has been legitimately a superstar) or someone take a counterattack opportunity. Athletico beat lots of better teams in the UCL during those years.

But despite the bus parking you have to give Villareal credit. They just beat the team that just might be the best in the world (Man City and Liverpool would be their competitors for that) who simply have far more talent than they do.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

It's also interesting that Spain does not currently have a great team, although Real is close, yet they might end up with three teams in the final four. I doubt it will happen, I don't see Athletico beating Man City, but it didn't happen in all those seasons in the last decade when the three best teams in the world were clearly, Barca, Real and Bayern. I would have expected it to happen then, when Spain had two great teams and you could see Athletico sneaking in. This year it would really surprise me.

But you have to give Villareal credit. They were able to beat a team that is arguably the best in the world and unarguably better than they are. And Real too, beating PSG and Chelsea. Granted, Real still has lots of stars, even if Ronaldo and Ramos are gone and Bale essentially in exile, but you would have to say this Real team is beneath a number of teams in the world right now.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

It's also interesting that Spain does not currently have a great team, although Real is close, yet they might end up with three teams in the final four. I doubt it will happen, I don't see Athletico beating Man City, but it didn't happen in all those seasons in the last decade when the three best teams in the world were clearly, Barca, Real and Bayern. I would have expected it to happen then, when Spain had two great teams and you could see Athletico sneaking in. This year it would really surprise me.

But you have to give Villareal credit. They were able to beat a team that is arguably the best in the world and unarguably better than they are. And Real too, beating PSG and Chelsea. Granted, Real still has lots of stars, even if Ronaldo and Ramos are gone and Bale essentially in exile, but you would have to say this Real team is beneath a number of teams in the world right now.