Check Out Our Shop
Page 98 of 98 FirstFirst ... 93 94 95 96 97 98
Results 2,426 to 2,427 of 2427
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    My MLS fandom summed up
    SLC in the mid 00s, Real Salt Lake played at Rice - Eccles Stadium and it was fun, soccer fans of all stripes, languages, & nationalities coming to watch good matches in a fun environment. As a long time soccer fan, I was stoked.
    good times.

Somehow they dont build the new stadium downtown but way out in the burbs where the crowd isnt quite as "vibrant" despite good options in town & suck the life out of the fan base even as team gets better.
    Couldn't continue following Real Sandy & lost interest when I moved east in 06.

Once in NYC I was watching MUFC matches weekly in pubs and more often as they were then playing CL matches midweek and I would make most either ducking out of work or "entertaining" euro expat or visiting clients for 2 hours on Tues/Wed afternoons.

MLS was poor by comparison to 2006-2014 Champions League football. Glory years of THAT Pep with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta Barca team and Sir Alex's post treble monster (Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Berbatov, etc.) teams, plus Galcticos & Invincibles and peak Bayern, plus Red Bull stadium was hard to get to.

My son spent his first 4 years watching Rooney score goals weekend mornings in CT so when we were in DC visiting in the late 2010s and our man Tipp suggested we go see DC United's home match while in town I jumped at the chance. The joy of watching my son see his favorite soccer play score 2 goals right in front of us in our seats behind the goal is a memory I will treasure.

So stars past their prime is my son's impressions of MLS. Maybe matches in the new soccer specific stadium in NYC will change that. We will see.

I do know at his travel soccer practices tues & Thurs I see jerseys from Inter, Liverpool, Arsenal, United, Bayern, Juve, Barca, Real, CHealsea, & various national team jerseys from across Europe & LATAM as wel as maybe 1 NYCFC shirt and a few Inter Miami Messi kits
    I can’t stand fake “royal “ salt lake. But when they played at rice eccles that was absolutely the worst football experience I’ve ever seen. Narrow, crowned field with no sideline space and no fans. Now it’s just a collection of youth soccer teams at the Sandy stadium. Love that 100 visiting Timbers fans are louder than the entire local fans minus the obnoxiously loud loud speaker when “royal” salt lake scores.
    Viva er betis manque pierda!
    No pity Rose city!

Remember Odin and all the timbers fans coming to SLC and later NYC. Always good to have that crowd around.