Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1222
  1. #1001
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    7,134
    But even on the women’s/girl’s side, how many girls are being missed? All you have to do is pull into any parking lot where there are some soccer games on a Saturday and all you see are brand new cars and wealthy folks dumping their girls off.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  2. #1002
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Timbers of Fennario
    Posts
    2,139
    No way to answer that questions but a hell of a lot more in urban areas where Grape is working than in the burbs. With no exposure to soccer as youth for many we will never know if these eventual college basketball, football players etc. could have been the next Mia Hamm or Landon Donovan. Soccer needs more programs like those Grape is involved in to provide access to kids who otherwise, will never even have the opportunity to try it.

  3. #1003
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    This! Major props to you and those at the non-profit for helping to break the pay to play model that needs to be blown up if the US Federation is ever going to produce consistently competitive teams on the world stage. A system where you basically don't have a chance to get noticed unless you can afford to pay a couple G's a year to be part of some club does not, and will not ever work long term. In my experience, the majority are $ grabs for the owners anyway. Not to say there are not some good ones around that offer real instruction and opportunity for advancement because there are, but far too few, especially for those who do not have the ability to pay. Soccer is loosing thousands of kids every year in the US to other sports that offer much lower barriers to entry, lacrosse, basketball, volleyball just to name a few. I am no fan of the AAU model but one thing they do offer that soccer does not is a much lower cost structure to get kids involved. My kid is a solid keeper but I have no illusions of her getting scholarship $ for college. I pretty much kept her out of the club scene until she entered high school (some clinics and indoor during the winter just to keep her sharp) mainly due to the fact that the pressure to be a "full time" year round club member was always present. The need for her to play regularly to be competitive in HS eventually made it a necessity but we found one that did not cost a small fortune while still providing certified coaches and training. I have had my D license for many years and did some of the class time for my C but stopped coaching once my kid entered HS and honestly, had a very hard time finding a club that I thought was truly in it for the advancement of athletes and not the money. The system is broken and needs a major reboot, which can only start with new executive leadership. The WMNT is obviously continuing to thrive but I have absolutely no doubt that the current system will eventually drag them down to the level of what we just witnessed with the MNT.
    Yep. My ex-college teammates are stuck doing the pay-to-play thing and it drives them nuts. They say the coaches are subpar and do it for the money. My compatriot coaches do it for the love of this beautiful (truly) game and we love to hang out and spread the love of soccer in any way. My younger son's coaches are immigrants from Italy and Mexico. I am the hot-tempered gringo who gets thrown out of games yelling at the incompetent refs (a whole other thread).

    Pele grew up not having enough money to even a kick a ball. He started with a ball of rags (I read his biography about 75x growing up).
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

  4. #1004
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Timbers of Fennario
    Posts
    2,139
    Ha, the ref thread would definitely be a winner! I bite my tongue 95% of the time now that I am in the stands but every once in a while I loose it on one.

    I read that book at least 10x and was lucky enough to get my parents to pony up the $ (after begging for years) to go to his 3 day camp in upstate NY when I was 12, an experience that changed my view of the game from then on.

    Still waiting for Sunil to do the right thing but not sure he will do so until forced...no way he skates after this.

  5. #1005
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    4,330
    Without the club teams there is essentially no competition. Without competition nobody improves. The clubs probably make too much money, but Johnny's parents with all the $$$ think he's going pro, so they throw money at it. Most kids start in soccer and then transition to a different sport in the USA. That is just the facts. Other countries live for soccer compared to football, baseball, hoops, and hockey.

    I personally know Tony Lepore who works for US Soccer at the development level. It's not an easy task. How do you find that inner city kid who might be the next superstar if he's not playing? Our local club has scholarships available and I know a couple kids who received some money, but for the most part around here, parents are driving Audi's.

    Blowing up the pay to play is good in theory, but how do pay for the fields and coaches? And to that point, there are not enough qualified refs or coaches. And yelling at an incompetent ref really makes you the asshole Grape. Grab a whistle and get out there or stfu.

    You too FD! How many games have your ref'd? I've done my fair share of different sports and it sucks. Mistakes are made, but its volunteer! Yeah, some guys are paid peanuts at higher levels.

  6. #1006
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Timbers of Fennario
    Posts
    2,139
    I am not saying do away with club teams completely but US Soccer needs to provide an affordable and more readily accessible platform and do a better job overseeing it, the $ is definitely there. As it stands now, most club teams are not sanctioned and those that are cost $2k+ (at least around here) and that doesn't cover travel, uni's etc. For a certified development coach, it is definitely a tough job but US Soccer needs to fix the model to make his search easier. I would be very interested to hear his thoughts on the subject next time you see him.

    Tell me you never yelled at a ref at one of your boy's games? Most are unqualified but a basic understanding of the rules should be a minimum requirement. As far as ref'ing, I was typically on the field coaching since mine was 5 but to answer your question, I just ref'd 2 games a few weeks ago for my kids old middle school that I used to coach because the AD called me when the ref didn't show. I also filled in for a half at one of my kids HS pre-season games when one of the 2 refs had to leave after booting on the field. I even still had a whistle in the glove box!

  7. #1007
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    And yelling at an incompetent ref really makes you the asshole Grape. Grab a whistle and get out there or stfu.
    Totally. I hate when I lose my temper. It feels good for a millisecond and then I beat myself up for it for next day. The last time I lost it was when an opposing player went into a tackle with both legs and took the defender out. The ref didn't even call a foul. I would have given the little fucker a red card. I yelled at the ref and then some asshole in the stands says, "Hey, calm down!". My knee jerk was to say, "Go fuck yourself". Then I got thrown out.

    Not my finest moment, but the kid could have been seriously hurt. He was carried off the field but recovered quickly. The ref was calling like an asshole the whole game (i.e. obviously pro-home team) and so when johnny dooshbag from McMansionville tried to step in, I lost it.

    I am passionate. What can I say?
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

  8. #1008
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    I am not saying do away with club teams completely but US Soccer needs to provide an affordable and more readily accessible platform and do a better job overseeing it, the $ is definitely there. As it stands now, most club teams are not sanctioned and those that are cost $2k+ (at least around here) and that doesn't cover travel, uni's etc. For a certified development coach, it is definitely a tough job but US Soccer needs to fix the model to make his search easier. I would be very interested to hear his thoughts on the subject next time you see him.

    Tell me you never yelled at a ref at one of your boy's games? Most are unqualified but a basic understanding of the rules should be a minimum requirement. As far as ref'ing, I was typically on the field coaching since mine was 5 but to answer your question, I just ref'd 2 games a few weeks ago for my kids old middle school that I used to coach because the AD called me when the ref didn't show. I also filled in for a half at one of my kids HS pre-season games when one of the 2 refs had to leave after booting on the field. I even still had a whistle in the glove box!
    There are a few good refs down here, but most don't know the fucking game. When you add a belly the size of a county fair pumpkin, you can't run with the play and properly call offsides. It drives me fucking nuts. The kids deserve better and so does Grape!
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

  9. #1009
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Timbers of Fennario
    Posts
    2,139
    Same here, but too many similar to what you mention. Parents who don't know what they are talking/yelling about but think they do drives me nuts. I hear at least one at most of my kids HS games and typically just ignore it since my wife gets pissed if I say anything even if it is in a somewhat friendly way. Like Straw said, most parents think that little Johnny or Sally are good enough to get a full ride scholarship to UNC or UVA so that gives them the right to demand a foul on every play when their kid falls down after trying to dribble through 4 defenders.

  10. #1010
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    4,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Totally. I hate when I lose my temper. It feels good for a millisecond and then I beat myself up for it for next day. The last time I lost it was when an opposing player went into a tackle with both legs and took the defender out. The ref didn't even call a foul. I would have given the little fucker a red card. I yelled at the ref and then some asshole in the stands says, "Hey, calm down!". My knee jerk was to say, "Go fuck yourself". Then I got thrown out.

    Not my finest moment, but the kid could have been seriously hurt. He was carried off the field but recovered quickly. The ref was calling like an asshole the whole game (i.e. obviously pro-home team) and so when johnny dooshbag from McMansionville tried to step in, I lost it.

    I am passionate. What can I say?
    Totally agree with that one. We've had a few games (when I was coaching) that the Ref had no control over the game whatsoever and somebody was bound to get hurt. That is when the coach needs to step it up and have a talk with the ref. Of course, the other coach we we were playing against was this bat shit crazy English dude who wanted his kids slamming everyone around. I wanted to kick his fat ass back across the pond! We won, so that's all that mattered in the end.

    Bad calls...It's annoying as hell, but what can you do. They're not doing it on purpose...I hope!

  11. #1011
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    12,196
    Get Arena out now. He’s already said he has “no interest” in trying to get them to fail to qualify for 2022.

  12. #1012
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,772

    Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

    There was a really good article a year or two ago (possibly posted here?) that spoke to the current pay to play system. In Europe, professional clubs have to pay a percentage of transfer fees to the youth clubs that trained the player - the longer you had him, the larger the percentage. So, teams are incentivized to recruit the best talent, at minimal cost to the player, as that is their path to money - not via player fees. A team in the us, or maybe it was up here in Canada, sued an MLS team for a portion of the transfer fee they received from a European club - don't know what happened with that.

    There are clubs in Europe still funded by the career of one player (robben was one such player). Obviously youth teams from professional clubs reduce the likelihood of that in Europe, but not here. Anyways, an interesting take on it, I thought.

    Edit: found the links

    https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...deandre-yedlin

    https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timein...n%3Fsource=dam
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  13. #1013
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    4,330
    Yeah, I recall the Brit who started our local club mentioning something about the way it was done over there. They all have club teams I believe and that was the model brought to the states. The $$ part is interesting though. Over there the money flows like water in the pros, here not so much.

  14. #1014
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    off on yet another Tangent
    Posts
    2,691

    Might as well start a general Footy/Soccer thread

    Arena resigned. One small and token baby step for US soccer.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

    SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

  15. #1015
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,772
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Yeah, I recall the Brit who started our local club mentioning something about the way it was done over there. They all have club teams I believe and that was the model brought to the states. The $$ part is interesting though. Over there the money flows like water in the pros, here not so much.
    True, but if a player were signed in Europe, it would still apply - it wouldn't be limited to players who play in America. And, even though the money here isn't huge, it all adds up and is incentive to have the best players join your club, not only the best players who have the money to pay to play.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  16. #1016
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,720
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    There was a really good article a year or two ago (possibly posted here?) that spoke to the current pay to play system. In Europe, professional clubs have to pay a percentage of transfer fees to the youth clubs that trained the player - the longer you had him, the larger the percentage. So, teams are incentivized to recruit the best talent, at minimal cost to the player, as that is their path to money - not via player fees. A team in the us, or maybe it was up here in Canada, sued an MLS team for a portion of the transfer fee they received from a European club - don't know what happened with that.

    There are clubs in Europe still funded by the career of one player (robben was one such player). Obviously youth teams from professional clubs reduce the likelihood of that in Europe, but not here. Anyways, an interesting take on it, I thought.

    Edit: found the links

    https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...deandre-yedlin

    https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timein...n%3Fsource=dam
    In all my years of hysterical love for soccer, I did not know how they did things in Europe. Now I do.

    Thanks!
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

  17. #1017
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    ECO
    Posts
    4,016
    https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/new...mar-and-messi/

    ISIS issues World Cup threats involving disturbing images of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar

    Yeah, enjoy this one Ruski.

  18. #1018
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    off on yet another Tangent
    Posts
    2,691
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

    SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Bike Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR
    BIKE TOOL BLOW OUT!

  19. #1019
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,720
    Italy out!

    WTF. Sweden played well from what I saw though. My son's coach is from Italy...he's pretty devastated.
    They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do.

  20. #1020
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    633
    Good article, thanks.

    I've thought alot about the "culture" side of things and how the US has a lot of sport culture built around (American) football/basketball/baseball. Hopefully soccer can sink some roots and really bring Americans to think more internationally.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  21. #1021
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Italy out!

    WTF. Sweden played well from what I saw though. My son's coach is from Italy...he's pretty devastated.
    Sucks. Going to have to figure out who to root for now.

  22. #1022
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,926
    Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Sucks. Going to have to figure out who to root for now.
    https://twitter.com/rvkgrapevine/sta...37879227383809
    Reykjavík Grapevine‏ @rvkgrapevine Oct 9

    We would like to offer a statement at this time.
    #IcelandSmites #WorldCup #ÁframÍsland #RoadToRussia #ISLKOS #fotboltinet #ISLpic.twitter.com/WjeTuEqKJI


  23. #1023
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,592
    crazy. not that i give a shit about the timbers in the least.

    https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2017...mbers-news-mls

  24. #1024
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    OREYGUN!
    Posts
    12,377
    I'm thinking he may have gotten tapped for the US national team

  25. #1025
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    7,134
    ^^^ From what I've read, that sounds like a good thing.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •