Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1007
  1. #976
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    The Roxie in San Francisco is also running as a virtual cinema at the moment:

    https://www.roxie.com/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  2. #977
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    China's movie theaters in trouble again...

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...-again-1287040
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  3. #978
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    Going to give this "Virtual Cinema" thing a whirl tonight with this film:



    Here is a list of participating theaters:

    https://www.kinolorber.com/film/bacu...nJt4#playdates
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  4. #979
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    BACURAU
    4/5

    A strange, but no less beguiling pastiche of myriad genres, it starts out as a quirky slice-of-life dramedy, then swerves into The Most Dangerous Game territory, before culminating with some small-town-under-siege sensibilities. Obvious debts owed to Johns Sayles and Carpenter.
    I got my $12 worth and feel good about supporting my local Tahoe theater in the bargain.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  5. #980
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  6. #981
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    It's gonna maybe probably be a Top Gun Christmas...Paramount announces new release dates for high profile films:

    https://deadline.com/2020/04/top-gun...202898738/amp/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  7. #982
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,229
    What about a virtual porn theatre? Hang out in rain coats in your LR. Chat w Pee Wee.

  8. #983
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    This cool looking joint is making the Virtual Theater rounds:



    Info on where it is "playing" here:

    https://filmmovement.com/the-wild-goose-lake#playing
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  9. #984
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    ZOMBI CHILD
    3/5
    Watched this last night via Virtual Cinema and I am not quite sure what my final takeaway is. The film is disjointed, bouncing between 1960s Haiti and present day France. The misrepresentation of history seems to be the underlying theme, as well as privileged white people's cultural appropriation. While the film is visually captivating, the pacing is extremely languid and then bugged out finale leaves more unanswered questions than I care to have left lingering.
    Still, an interesting, albeit somewhat frustrating watch.

    You can check to see if your local cinema is screening ir here:

    https://filmmovement.com/zombi-child#playing

    Support Local Cinema Houses!

    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  10. #985
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    EXTRA ORDINARY is coming to a (virtual) theater near You!

    Listings and showtimes here:
    https://www.kinolorber.com/film/extra-ordinary


    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  11. #986
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    THE WILD GOOSE LAKE
    3/5
    Not 100% sure where I stand on this film.
    It is a modern take on the classic "hunted man"/"criminal fugitive" noir trope, complete with duplicitous femme fatale. But there were several continuity/editing gaffes which made some of the narrative a little confusing.
    Intense action sequences and high drama moments were buffered by overly long slow periods that could easily have been trimmed.
    Great neon saturated cinematography and cool use of shadows and light made it visually stunning, plus it is well acted and the subtitles were readable and seemed on point.

    RIYL
    Only God Forgives; Drive; Drug War; The Villainess

    Where to watch it: https://filmmovement.com/the-wild-goose-lake#playing
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  12. #987
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    Watched EXTRA ORDINARY tonight.

    The Short Take:
    3.5 out of 5.
    I laughed out loud more than once.
    There was some creative camera work.
    The acting is solid.
    The third act wobbles a bit and the final boss is a bit disappointing.
    Lottsa cool little visual flourishes and repetitive motifs if you keep your eyes open.
    If you are savvy, it can be a bit predictable (there were numerous plot twists that I figured out from the jump).
    But in the end, highly entertaining.

    RIYL: Ghostbusters; Anna and the Apocalypse

    *see post #985 above for trailer and showtimes
    Last edited by dookey67; 05-01-2020 at 08:41 AM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  13. #988
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    So, apparently folks are willing to pay $19.99 to watch a "first-run" movie at home...

    https://www.engadget.com/trolls-word...062745004.html
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  14. #989
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    Norway and Czech Republic scheduled to open movie theaters next week:
    https://deadline.com/2020/05/norway-...-7-1202923338/

    Meanwhile, in America, the Drive-In makes a comeback:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...rs-covid-open/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  15. #990
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    Texas to reopen theaters, but with a catch...
    https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/te...Tkfa1-UwSz0ho0
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  16. #991
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Meiss Meadows
    Posts
    1,395
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Texas to reopen theaters, but with a catch...
    https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/te...Tkfa1-UwSz0ho0
    Iím picturing a Red hatted guy, with a silver 45 on his hip, saying to the ticket checker: ďIím not wearing any Commie face mask and you arenít getting any the Phuck near me with that thermometer. Now get out of my Fín way.Ē

  17. #992
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    I’m picturing a Red hatted guy, with a silver 45 on his hip, saying to the ticket checker: “I’m not wearing any Commie face mask and you aren’t getting any the Phuck near me with that thermometer. Now get out of my F’n way.”

    I was wearing a black hat, not a red one...
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

  18. #993
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    2,952
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I was wearing a black hat, not a red one...
    Yeeehaaww?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  19. #994
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    512
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Yeeehaaww?
    You got that Goddamned right.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Hereís the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

  20. #995
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  21. #996
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Texas to reopen theaters, but with a catch...
    https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/te...Tkfa1-UwSz0ho0
    Went to the cinema last night!!! And it was freaking great. Theater was incredibly clean and wife and I literally had the entire room to ourselves. $5 tix and $5 large popcorn. Felt so good to get back to the big screen.

    FWIW, we saw the Hunt. REALLY fun movie. If you like slasher comedies, you might enjoy it. Has a bit of a B-movie vibe as it doesn't take itself too seriously and they didn't skimp on the over the top violence. Was fun seeing Glenn Howerton in there. Minor role, but he was born for that one. Haha. Sturgill Simpson even played another minor role as Vanilla Nice.

    Betty Gilpin and Hilary Swank were also fantastic in there. I'll definitely pick this one up when it hits an official home release. Worth a re-watch.

  22. #997
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Posts
    2,756
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Went to the cinema last night!!! And it was freaking great. Theater was incredibly clean and wife and I literally had the entire room to ourselves. $5 tix and $5 large popcorn. Felt so good to get back to the big screen.

    FWIW, we saw the Hunt. REALLY fun movie. If you like slasher comedies, you might enjoy it. Has a bit of a B-movie vibe as it doesn't take itself too seriously and they didn't skimp on the over the top violence. Was fun seeing Glenn Howerton in there. Minor role, but he was born for that one. Haha. Sturgill Simpson even played another minor role as Vanilla Nice.

    Betty Gilpin and Hilary Swank were also fantastic in there. I'll definitely pick this one up when it hits an official home release. Worth a re-watch.
    Excellent.

    Yep loved The Hunt.

  23. #998
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Went to the cinema last night!!! And it was freaking great. Theater was incredibly clean and wife and I literally had the entire room to ourselves. $5 tix and $5 large popcorn. Felt so good to get back to the big screen.

    FWIW, we saw the Hunt. REALLY fun movie. If you like slasher comedies, you might enjoy it. Has a bit of a B-movie vibe as it doesn't take itself too seriously and they didn't skimp on the over the top violence. Was fun seeing Glenn Howerton in there. Minor role, but he was born for that one. Haha. Sturgill Simpson even played another minor role as Vanilla Nice.

    Betty Gilpin and Hilary Swank were also fantastic in there. I'll definitely pick this one up when it hits an official home release. Worth a re-watch.
    Questions:

    1. Did they take your temperature at the door?
    2. Did they require you to wear masks?
    3. Did the staff wear masks?
    4. How did they sanitize the theater between shows?

    I love going to the movies, but quite seriously am a little apprehensive about going once they open up the ones in Reno.
    Also the fact that there won't be any new movies until at least Nov., since all the studios have pushed the blockbusters back until end of the uear or into 2021 (at least for the moment; that could change).

    Good to hear about The Hunt. It is in my NF DVD queue!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

  24. #999
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    6,163
    Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Questions:

    1. Did they take your temperature at the door?
    2. Did they require you to wear masks?
    3. Did the staff wear masks?
    4. How did they sanitize the theater between shows?

    I love going to the movies, but quite seriously am a little apprehensive about going once they open up the ones in Reno.
    Also the fact that there won't be any new movies until at least Nov., since all the studios have pushed the blockbusters back until end of the uear or into 2021 (at least for the moment; that could change).

    Good to hear about The Hunt. It is in my NF DVD queue!
    Sure thing.
    1. No, they did not take our temperature but they had a guy at the front doing a simple screening questionnaire before letting us in. They might do temp screenings if they actually get more than one couple in there. Haha.
    2. No, they did not require us to wear masks, but highly recommended it. We chose not to past the entry as we were about the only people in what is one of the largest theaters in the country and wanted to actually eat our popcorn. I think I'm going to an IMAX screening next as that would be wicked fun to have that giant theater to myself and I can get EXACTLY the seat I want... for 5 bucks.
    3. Yes, the entire staff was fully masked, gloved, and taking all proper precautions. Soda fountains and popcorn stations were closed for us to use. You'd pay at the concession stand, they'd give you a receipt to show (not physically hand to) the staff at the soda area, and they'd give you what you wanted. The whole operation was all very well organized and as sanitary as possible.
    4. I don't know HOW they sanitize between shows, but it can't be that hard as they have every other row roped off, and have a distance of like 6 seats between assigned seats. Pretty much, they can only have like a dozen people in a sold out show the way they had it laid out. Seems all they'd have to do is go wipe down the areas where people were sitting and they know exactly where you were.

    I'll say this much. I haven't seen this theater so clean since they opened. It's always actually been a nice theater and I've never seen them get behind in maintenance or cleanliness compared to many, but they're going above and beyond now. They HAVE to be hemorrhaging money since they had it fully staffed and there were hardly any patrons. Was sad to see but I hope they're boldness pays off. They're doing it in as safe a manner as possible and it's a local chain who's passionate about the business, so I hope they pull through.

    Now I'm waiting for Alamo Drafthouse to open up next. They're usually my go-to theater around here. We have 4 of them in the area.

    I love the cinema, so even when they get back to 100% capacity, I'll take my chances. Worth it. I love the Drafthouse. Haha.

  25. #1000
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Truckee, CA
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Sure thing.
    1. No, they did not take our temperature but they had a guy at the front doing a simple screening questionnaire before letting us in. They might do temp screenings if they actually get more than one couple in there. Haha.
    2. No, they did not require us to wear masks, but highly recommended it. We chose not to past the entry as we were about the only people in what is one of the largest theaters in the country and wanted to actually eat our popcorn. I think I'm going to an IMAX screening next as that would be wicked fun to have that giant theater to myself and I can get EXACTLY the seat I want... for 5 bucks.
    3. Yes, the entire staff was fully masked, gloved, and taking all proper precautions. Soda fountains and popcorn stations were closed for us to use. You'd pay at the concession stand, they'd give you a receipt to show (not physically hand to) the staff at the soda area, and they'd give you what you wanted. The whole operation was all very well organized and as sanitary as possible.
    4. I don't know HOW they sanitize between shows, but it can't be that hard as they have every other row roped off, and have a distance of like 6 seats between assigned seats. Pretty much, they can only have like a dozen people in a sold out show the way they had it laid out. Seems all they'd have to do is go wipe down the areas where people were sitting and they know exactly where you were.

    I'll say this much. I haven't seen this theater so clean since they opened. It's always actually been a nice theater and I've never seen them get behind in maintenance or cleanliness compared to many, but they're going above and beyond now. They HAVE to be hemorrhaging money since they had it fully staffed and there were hardly any patrons. Was sad to see but I hope they're boldness pays off. They're doing it in as safe a manner as possible and it's a local chain who's passionate about the business, so I hope they pull through.

    Now I'm waiting for Alamo Drafthouse to open up next. They're usually my go-to theater around here. We have 4 of them in the area.

    I love the cinema, so even when they get back to 100% capacity, I'll take my chances. Worth it. I love the Drafthouse. Haha.
    Right on.
    Thanks man.
    Good to hear that the Texans are on their ishit.
    I mean when I would go to the theater in Reno pre-COVID, it was usually empty (I would go on my day off, usually first show in the morning), but as I said earlier, I still have my reservations.

    In regards to the Alamo, last time I went to a Drafthouse, it was the only one and it was above a Chinese Restaurant in Austin; this was way before they chained up.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

    http://www.blizzardsportusa.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •