Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Baby Driver, conversely, is more than worth the price of admission
    Superb... great soundtrack
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    I went to watch Birth of the Dragon with some of my martial arts partners and left underwhelmed. Bruce Lee felt like a secondary character rather than the main character and the actor didn't give Lee much depth. The fight scenes were OK, but nothing great compared other movies in that genre.

I rather enjoyed it.

For the record, I do not practise martial arts and I didn't grow up watching Shaw Bros. films. I grew up watching Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Segal. Post-college I spent 2 years watching nothing but the subtitled 1990's HK fare of Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Michelle Yeoh, and Donnie Yen at Chinese theaters in San Francisco (and the late, venerable UC Theatre in Berkeley). So, I have a strong fondness for fantastical wire work and Harold Lloyd-styled shenanigans.

I found the film to be a throwback to the '80s Hollywood interpretations of HK films, as well as including some of the fantastical elements of the 1990s flicks (heck, Corey Yuen was the fight choreographer).

I thought the lead actor captured Bruce Lee's manner and characteristics, at least as they were portrayed in his films.
    I found that the direction of the fight sequences was really good for a western film (instead of lame close-ups, quick edits, and shots from the waist up, there were lots of aerial and widescreen shots that showed the whole action).

I also thought that they had a good balance between Old School Shaw Bros.-styled fight sequences, 1990s Tsui Hark/Yuen Woo-Ping wire trickery, and artsy-fartsy slo-mo cum Wong Kar-wai.

Granted, the story was simple and the supporting characters were one-dimensional, but I still found the "turmoil" of the main white character being caught between two teachers with very different ideologies to be compelling enough.

I also really dug the end credit sequence, which paid decent homage to Lee's cinematic high-points (kicking the shit out of Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon and others).

For a popcorn, end-of-summer flick I felt that I got my money's worth and it was much better than I anticipated.

RIYL
    Late '80s Hollywood martial arts films; late '90s HK martial arts films;

PS
    Grange: as a HK film buff I'd be interested to know what your favorite films of the genre are...
    Last edited by dookey67; 09-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Went skiing in the a.m. then hit the $5 Tuesday in Reno for a double-feature.

1. Crimson Peak
    visually stunning, incredibly opulent gothic/grand guignol soap opera/ghost story directed by Guillermo del Toro. If you dug The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth, then you will probably dig this, too.

2. Sicario
    Echoing what most everyone else above has said about this film: go see it.
    Incredibly intense, well-written, well-acted action film. Several scenes are nail-biting. Excellent use of visceral ambient music/sounds to heighten the mood of anxiety and adrenaline.
    The cinematography is nuts.
    I'd also highly recommend the director's (Denis Villeneuve) previous film, Enemy. (fwiw, he's also supposedly been tapped for a Blade Runner revival).
    Brolin and Del Toro absolutely own the film, though Blunt holds her own quite nicely.
    With the new Blade Runner coming out in a couple of weeks, who here is going to see it? I hope to make it to the theater.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    With the new Blade Runner coming out in a couple of weeks, who here is going to see it? I hope to make it to the theater.
    Every one.

You're off the bus if you don't see it on the big screen.

Did my Ski & A Movie thang today: I caught an early screening of Mother! this morning in Reno, then went skiing up near Blue Lakes (Carson Pass area)

Giving the film a 4.5 / 5
    (for the record, I, apparently, really enjoy delusional freak shows of pretentious twaddle (although I did not like Antichrist one bit...), which is how one critic described it).

The film is getting slagged, but I feel that's because most people, on the whole, do not enjoy challenging, strange films (that's just my humble opinion).

Here is a great editorial about the film: https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...aronofsky-film

This movie is disconcerting, disquieting, intense, and teeming with what-the-f^&kery. I think it's a movie about birth/life/death or it may be a movie about ego or it may be a movie about love (giving too much or taking too much and still needing more). It may be a movie about gods and/or demons. It may be a movie about The 7 Deadly Sins (they are all pretty much touched upon in the course of the 2 hours running time). Whatever it is, it ain't boring. Excellent sound design (or lack thereof, since quite a bit of the movie is sans score, relying more on eerie ambient noise than anything else). A challenging and mesmerizing film that would best be enjoyed with your posse of quasi-intellectuals so that y'all can discuss it to no end over apres cocktails.

Definitely NOT a popcorn flick. But if you like abstract, intense, and weird quasi-horror films, then this might be up your alley.

FWIW, I am divided on Aronofsky. Of the films he has both written and directed, I really dug PI and Requiem For A Dream. I hated The Fountain.

Peter Bradshaw from The Guardian sums it up perfectly:
    "Mother! does what movies are supposed to do: intrigue, baffle, revolt, amuse, excite and have people talking on the way out of the cinema. I’m going to see it again."

RIYL
    Only God Forgives; Blackcoat's Daughter; Beyond The Black Rainbow; The Neon Demon; Revolver; Baskin
    Last edited by dookey67; 09-19-2017 at 09:03 PM.

What's RIYL mean?

I still haven't watched neon demon. But I have wanted to, just thought about it this weekend while talking with a friend. Only God forgives didn't do it for me but I had such high hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    What's RIYL mean?
    Recommended If You Like

I would recommend American assassin.

I have not seen it, but I have read the book and most every book by the author - vince Flynn is nonstop and you know Hollywood is down with that; movie should be great.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Whoa ......

Let me tell you a little secret: hollywood and authors do not get long. Early reviews are not strong; I'm actually going to go see it for Keaton's performance, but otherwise - low expectations.

^
    Saw American Assassin today.
    Giving it a 2.5 / 5
    It was totally paint-by-numbers and hella cliched.
    Keaton was good, but his character is such a familiar trope that it didn't matter much how well he owned the screen.
    The story was pretty much old hat, tired, and retread from other similar movies.
    The action sequences weren't anything to write home about.
    The fight sequences were all shot close-up and frenetic, so you never really saw the fighting, it was just quick-cut edits and close-ups.
    It also looked and felt like a made-for-tv (or cable) movie.
    Honestly, the trailers are way cooler (and better) than the entirety of the film.
    I'd say leave it for a rental.

PS
    How the f%^k do you recommend a movie without having seen it?
    Last edited by dookey67; 09-28-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Well this is awesome.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Every one.

You're off the bus if you don't see it on the big screen.
    Reviews are coming out and it sounds very positive so far. Unfortunately I'm on a camping trip opening weekend. I'll have to get out to a late show the following week.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Isle of Dogs

Should dogs from Japan speak Japanese? Or at least speak Ingrish

Looks like pure Wes Andrerson

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Isle of Dogs

Should dogs from Japan speak Japanese? Or at least speak Ingrish

Looks like pure Wes Andrerson
    My kids love Fantastic Mr. Fox. So do I.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE
    3.5 / 5
    Rather enjoyed this flick. It's completely over-the-top, most of the action sequences are blatantly CGI-infused, but they are whip-quick and well-paced (albeit mostly shot close-up, which bugs me a bit, as opposed to more of a wide-angle viewpoint). Solid acting, snark galore and cheeky, to boot. Continues to piss take the James Bondness of the '80 and '90s something fierce. I may have actually dug it more than the original. Full-on buttered popcorn fare, for sure.
    My only major quibble: there's a sequence where the heroes travel to a ski resort in Italy and they are decked out in ski gear: the boots are so obviously not ski boots (they look like painted Uggs). As a skier that kind of waver on detail really bugged me for some reason, moreso than the totally unrealistic action sequences and whatnot.

Also, an interesting read for all the comic book (and film) nerds out there:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/how-kingsman...-le-1797734025

HAPPY DEATH DAY
    2.5 / 5
    I have to admit, I was totally suckered in by the trailer.
    This film had a LOT of potential, that was unfortuneately squandered.
    While it moves along at a good pace, the third act is completely full of "WTF?!?" moments (the serial killer angle, for example) and the "reveal" at the end is rather lame.
    Good cast, some interesting elements, but again, ultimately it falls short of the premise.
    The fact that they name-checked Groundhog Day in the final scene was nothing short of obvious overkill. At least for OG cineastes.
    If you really want to see it either:
    1. Wait for the DVD/Stream
    or
    2. Watch the trailer like 30 times in a row whilst pounding vodka or imbibing in some other controlled substances.

PS
    They don't use 50 Cent's jam in the film (guess they didn't want to pay for it beyond the quick hits in the trailer; they use some other lame some other lame song instead).

KINGSMAN: THE GOLDEN CIRCLE
    My only major quibble: there's a sequence where the heroes travel to a ski resort in Italy and they are decked out in ski gear: the boots are so obviously not ski boots (they look like painted Uggs). As a skier that kind of waver on detail really bugged me for some reason, moreso than the totally unrealistic action sequences and whatnot.
    Agreed. I leaned over to my wife and was like: it’s a lot faster to just ski down instead of re-boarding the tram.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it. I prefer that to any of the comic book action movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Agreed. I leaned over to my wife and was like: it’s a lot faster to just ski down instead of re-boarding the tram.

Otherwise I really enjoyed it. I prefer that to any of the comic book action movies.
    plus it woulda been a really sweet homage to the Bond films they are so obviously poking fun at (not to mention that there hasn't been a skiing sequence in any of the D. Craig Bond flicks, so we're kinda overdue on that front...)

Only The Brave. I went to see this ready to be all cynical and eager to point out technical and editorial mistakes. I've got what could be called a strong background in wildfire and I know/knew some of the people involved in the Yarnell Fire incident. It happens that I also know one of the advisors and have worked with him some on fires - I ran into him on the set when I did a little extra work on the film.

But it was a really good movie, it told the story well. The fire scenes were done pretty damn well, and I liked that the story spent some time on the difficulties that firefighters' families face. There were a few Hollywood moments, to be expected I guess, but there were also a number of salty moments that rang pretty close to true.

Anyway, good stuff, recommended. 8.5/10

Saw Loving Vincent at the SIFF here in Seattle. The hand-painted scenes are extraordinary. I thought that it may be a novelty that would wear off and erode the underlying story, but it only made it more vivid. Van Gogh paintings became scenes, and his characters were character in the movie. Not to give too much away, but most of the movie takes place a year after his death. At first I found it odd that the flashbacks were painted in a more realist medium, with the "current" or "year after death" scenes were Van Gogh-ish, i.e. the sytle he employed in his paintings was deployed only in scenes after his death. But then I realized, that at the core of the movie is Van Gogh's struggle for acceptance, approval and inclusion, and the Van Gogh world we know only really started to exist after his death. His vision was most apparent then, and the struggle of his past was the black-and-white stark world. He only sold a single painting in the time between 28, when he began to paint, and when he died 9 years later, despite having created thousands.

To be honest, at first I was a bit bored with the story-telling format, but it really resonated after some time. Add in a murder mystery and the interesting arc and growth of a non-Van Gogh character, and the story was actually quite compelling. I love movies without happy endings that peek at some truth but don't shove it in your face. There is no real great ending when a conflicted talented man (maybe) kills himself, but there was some redemption here.

I'm not usually compelled to write about what I've seen, but if you want the movie version of walking through a beautiful museum on a rainy day with some bits that can't help but speak to you and some that maybe don't, go see this.

This looks like it could be completely off-the-nuts...

Does look like fun ..... but Margo's hips aren't quite up to the task.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    I'm in.

Cracking soundtrack too

THOR: RAGNAROK
    3.25 / 5

IMHO, the best thing about Thor: Ragnarok (other than the amazing trailers) was the Mark Mothersbaugh score. The film itself felt uneven and as if the execs @ Marvel told the filmmakers "Give us another Guardians of the Galaxy, but with Thor".

However, if you enjoyed What We Do In The Shadows (I thought it was "meh"), then you may very well dig the heck outta Thor: Ragnarok (same director).

For my money, the various trailers were much better, in terms of presenting balanced snark and action and great pacing.

PS
    Grange: as a HK film buff I'd be interested to know what your favorite films of the genre are...
    I generally will search out Amazon Prime or Netflix for martial arts films and there are a few that stick out at me. For me I don't care if a Martial Arts movie is from HK. I thought Ong Bak 2 had some amazing fight scenes. Raid 2: Redemption was a blast to watch for violent bladed and blunt weapons. Flashpoint incorporated Jujitsu, which was fun to see since that is one style I train. I enjoyed Fighter in the Wind from South Korea for a period piece because it didn't seem rely as heavily on acrobatics and felt more brutal with the fight scenes. Others I've enjoyed are Red Cliff, IP Man 1 and 2 and The Wrath of Vajra. IP man 3 was OK, but not as good as the first two in my opinion, but the last fight is awesome.

90's Martial art films were kind of hit and miss for me. Jet Li had some good one like Legend, but others just seemed too over the top, which is kind of dumb, because most martial arts films are way over the top.

For older films I liked Bruce Lee's films because he was the first Martial Arts film star I knew so while some of his movies may actually not be very good they still seem special to me. I really liked the HK series about Bruce Lee's life. The fighting styles of Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee was fun to watch in Way of the Dragon. I trained Shotokan, which I think of as more a hard style Karate, in college and now have been training a style that is more similar to Wing Chun type Kung fu called Wu Ying Tao. The difference between the two is a lot and it's fun to see the two in a fight. Plus it is an iconic fight scene.

I like documentaries on Martial arts. The Bladed Hand is great to me. Modern Arnis is another style I train so watching films on filipino martial arts is always fun. Amazon Prime has another one called Martial Arts Secrets of the Asian Masters. You can see Filipino martial arts in a lot of movies such as the Book of Eli and most folks wouldn't associate filipino martial arts as being in movies.

I do hope movies like Birth of the Dragon succeed and bring martial art movies more to a western audience. Movies like John Wick help as you can see the MA influence in the fights from the choreography and filming.