Page 51 of 68 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1678
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    This looks like it could be good.

Really enjoyed it

3.5 out of 5

Thor love and thunder:

My 13 year old son loved it, but he is the target demographic for this move. For me it was so so, not as good as the last Thor movie.

I think the GNR was intended to appeal to the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I think the GNR was intended to appeal to the parents.
    Remember, they used Zeppelin in the original teaser trailer for Thor: Ragnarok, too.

Since the Disney acquisition, Marvel has definitely been gearing films towards all audiences so they can reap the $$$ of parents taking their kids to the movies (it’s the classic Disney model of “family entertainment”: a family of 4 brings in more dough than a single comic book nerd).

I personally thought both the original Zep fueled teaser and the later electronic scored trailer for Thor: Ragnarok were more entertaining than the film itself…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    Thor love and thunder:

My 13 year old son loved it, but he is the target demographic for this move. For me it was so so, not as good as the last Thor movie.
    Agreed. My wife loves Thor. About halfway through Love and Thunder she looked at me like "what the hell is this?". Taikia got a little carried away with the humor element in this movie. Don't get me wrong, I laughed in a lot of parts but the overall movie could have been better with more Gor and less joking.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

NOPE
    The title says it all.

As in:
    You The Movie Loving Maggots: “Hey Dookey, is Nope worth seeing?”
    Me: “Nope.”

Further elaboration:
    In regards to writer/director Jordan Peele, I thought Get Out was okay. I really dug Us.
    Nope, however, is all over the place with too many unfinished ideas, thin characters, and a weak reveal that is neither scary, horrifying, or gory.
    There are several scenes meant to be scary that look like people playing in a jump house or doing interpretive dance with parachutes.
    It’s like a kid with ADHD watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Super 8 and said “I can do better,” but then didn’t.
    The underlying theme is that animals can’t be tamed, but it fails to even really elaborate on that with any semblance of creativity, let alone horror.
    Peele might be this generation’s M. Night…

The recent internet pundit who exclaimed that Jordan Peele is the greatest horror director ever is an idiot who obviously hasn’t seen enough horror films.

Even the presence of Keith David and Michael Wincott (!) can’t save it.
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 12-08-2022 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    NOPE
    The title says it all.

As in:

Further elaboration:
    In regards to writer/director Jordan Peele, I thought Get Out was okay. I really dug Us.
    Nope, however, is all over the place with too many unfinished ideas, thin characters, and a weak reveal that is neither scary, horrifying, or gory.
    There are several scenes meant to be scary that look like people playing in a jump house or doing interpretive dance with parachutes.
    It’s like a kid with ADHD watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Super 8 and said “I can do better,” but then didn’t.
    The underlying theme is that animals can’t be tamed, but it fails to even really elaborate on that with any semblance of creativity, let alone horror.

The recent internet pundit who exclaimed that Jordan Peele is the greatest horror director ever is an idiot who obviously hasn’t seen enough horror films.

Is Peele heading to Shyamalan St?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Is Peele heading to Shyamalan St?
    I fear he may already be skipping merrily down it…

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
    With their latest endeavor, writer/director duo The Daniels take a familiar subject--in this case family and the trials, tribulations, and sacrifices that come with being a parent--and inject it with some serious doses of absurdity and surrealism. Toss in some wacky martial arts, a sub-plot involving a tax audit, and some phallic and anal fetishism and you've got a seriously warped and multi-layered cinematic rumination on love, life, and the pursuit of happiness.
    At times the film does unravel with an uneven tone and teeters between off-kilter humor and treacley, heart string pulling emotionalism, but it is never boring.
    I definitely feel it warrants a second viewing...

RIYL
    Time Bandits; The Cell; Bedazzled; Timecrimes; The Fountain

Caught this on a plane the other day, which was not at all the proper viewing venue. But I really enjoyed it - it's quite different than most of the stuff coming out of hollywood these days. So many of the scenes are entirely amusing in their absurdity. Agreed that it definitely warrants a second viewing.

NOPE
    The title says it all.

As in:

Further elaboration:

Hard to beat Dark Skies in terms of terrifying alien movies.

God dam that movie freaks me out.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

BULLET TRAIN
    While this film certainly doesn’t reinvent the wheel in regard to action films, it is a highly entertaining diversion that knows how to integrate humor and alacrity into a cohesive package.
    This is a moderately high concept and labyrinthine action comedy that embraces numerous tropes and cliches, but rises above them more often than not thanks to a great cast with great chemistry and pacing that rivals its namesake.
    Brad Pitt is front and center, channeling some of his early roles here (think J.D. and Floyd), but the tag team of Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Bryan Tyree Henry may actually steal the show.
    The up close hand-to-hand fight sequences are kinetic and clever, owing no small debt to the 1980’s work of Jackie Chan. And the comedic moments are nice, bouncing between ironic and snarky with ease and aplomb.
    Granted, some of the speeding train effects dwell in the uncanny valley and there are three completely unnecessary high profile cameos that serve no real purpose other than smacking of over handed fan service aimed squarely at the mainstream moviegoer and stalwart social media starfkrs, but these slights are fleeting amidst the high octane action and quasi-intricate plot. On the subject of cameos, there’s actually two cool ones, if you’re a fan of The Boys and Heroes.
    All in all this is an enjoyable action romp teeming with some clever moments and featuring a largely wonderful cast.

RIYL
    Bad Times At The El Royale; Smokin’ Aces; Free Fire
    Last edited by dookeyXXX; 11-08-2022 at 08:37 AM.

•••This Linked Review Contains Spoilers

I found this review of Bullet Train to be spot on.
    The reviewer echoed a few things I mentioned in my previous post (although she enjoyed the annoying A-list fan service cameos way more than I did).

What I particularly liked about her take on the film is that its familiar derivativeness is comforting and this why it is successful and endearing despite it being drenched in rote tropes and cliches.
    She also nails it when she says that the folks making Marvel movies could learn a thing or two from Bullet Train.

Again, there are SPOILERS in this piece…

https://www.vox.com/culture/23290611...ameos-spoilers

Resurrection

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1154072..._=nv_sr_srsg_6

Beautifully shot
    Great acting

3.5 'I'm lost' out of 5 'what the fuck was that about?'

Any help explaining it please

Resurrection

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1154072..._=nv_sr_srsg_6

Beautifully shot
    Great acting

3.5 'I'm lost' out of 5 'what the fuck was that about?'

Any help explaining it please
    High on my list and been on my radar for awhile, but sadly didn’t make it to the theaters around here (as far as I could tell it only played at one theater down near SF for one week).
    So I gotta wait for streaming…(and I’m a cheap bastard who won’t pay $6.99 to rent it )

VENGEANCE
    Caught the late night showing of this wonderfully twisted little film with my pops.
    His post viewing, parking lot assessment: "I liked that. It had a lot of depth. And that Ashton Kutcher is a pretty good actor; I always thought he was stupid and goofy because of that TV show (pretty sure my dad was referring to That '70s Show), but he was really good."

The film--written, directed, and starring B.J. Novak (The Office)-- is sharp, wickedly funny (I laughed out loud a lot), acerbic, teeming with great through lines and callbacks, and well-rounded characters, not to mention some nice twists that I am ashamed to admit I missed due to the satire, characters, and taut construction of the story.
    On the surface it's easy to think the film is skewering the alt-right, but like the wonderfully overlooked 2020 horror film The Hunt, it's really lambasting the liberal left, as well.
    Our continued reliance on social media, taking the piss out of true crime podcasts, love of fast food, and quick judgements are also prime targets.
    And even when the film drifts into Hallmark moments, it manages to avoid treacley territory thanks to solid writing and top-notch thespianism.
    Highly recommended.
    If you can't see it in the theater, definitely earmark it for streaming.

Last edited by dookeyXXX; 01-18-2023 at 09:37 PM.

Regarding Vengeance:

RIYL
    Blindspotting
    Fargo
    Sorry To Bother You

BULLET TRAIN
    Yup, jumped aboard for a second viewing, this time with my 89-year old Dad.
    I unearthed some Easter Eggs I'd missed the first time around and still feel there are more that are eluding me (songs being played, ringtones on phones, books being read by passengers, etc).
    My pops was a little overwhelmed and remarked that he would definitely need to see it another time because he was confused by all the characters.

I realized this time around that the film owes a huge debt to the likes of Desperado, Kill Bill, and the early works of Guy Ritchie.
    And there's some definite nods to Deadpool 2 (not surprising since its the same director).

All in all, this is a super fun action film.

I really hope that this is as good as the trailer makes it out to be…

I really hope that this is as good as the trailer makes it out to be…

The real life is great

The real life is great

“To me, it was The Bronx.”

I am surprised at how much Zac E. looks like the young Chickie, too.

That looks like it could be really cool, or just become a 2 hour PBR ad. Either way, I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    That looks like it could be really cool, or just become a 2 hour PBR ad. Either way, I'm in.
    Written and directed by Peter Farrelly—of The Farrelly Brothers fame—whose track record is pretty decent…

I love it when pretty boy actors actually turn out to have some chops.

THOR: LOVE AND THUNDER
    Today I finally broke down and saw the latest MCU joint. I’d been putting it off as I was seriously underwhelmed by the last two MCU films I’d seen and, to be honest, wasn’t all that enamored by Thor: Ragnarok.
    But, YOWZA!
    This film is F-U-N.
    Director/co-writer Taika Waititi really dialed in his quirky humor this time around and I found myself laughing out loud more than once. He also ratcheted up the heartstring pulling (yeah, I brushed a few tears from my eyes over the course of the 119 minute running time).
    If there was one glitch, then it was in the form of a famous New Zealander acting with a really bad Greek accent. I am surprised that in this day and age of eyes wide open wokeness and PC extremeness that this kind of caricature passed muster with the Disney standards & practices crew. I am also surprised that the League of Greek Thespians hasn’t been boycotting the film.
    FWIW and IMHO, Costas Mandylor woulda been a much better fit for the part, but either he wasn’t available or perhaps Waititi has a bias toward hiring fellow NZ actors. Who knows.
    SPOILER ALERT Also, the guy they hired to portray Hercules seems like a miscast , but we’ll have to wait and see about that.
    Poor casting choices aside, I enjoyed this endeavor much more than I thought I would and it’s pretty much what I look for in a superhero flick: it’s lighthearted, moves at a fast clip, has a predominantly awesome cast who have nice chemistry with one another, and it keeps the overblown CGI battles to a minimum.
    Oh yeah, goats for the win.