Page 32 of 68 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Im generally not a fan of British humor so the parts supposed to make me laugh really didn’t.
    I find this funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^Only problem is that The Favourite hasn't been in theaters for months...

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    ^^Only problem is that The Favourite hasn't been in theaters for months...

Was in Alameda just a couple weeks ago but yeah should have been in the netflix or redbox thread. Apology

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I find this funny.
    Isn't it? Maybe you can explain penis humor.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Was in Alameda just a couple weeks ago but yeah should have been in the netflix or redbox thread. Apology

just dishing shit as I have not been to the movies in about a month (which is long for me)!

As for not getting the "British" humour, one could argue that there wasn't any/that is was severely skewed as the director is Greek and one of the co-screenwriters is Australian (the other co-screenwriter is English, though...)

The Unofficial Ongoing Current Movies in Theaters thread

Fair enough. I could see where it was supposed to be funny but I just didn’t get the humor so I assumed it was English. It was the sarcastic absurdity that might have made me think English.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by 4matic; 04-18-2019 at 02:09 PM.

CAPTAIN MARVEL
    2.5 / 5

Truth be told, I’m getting a little bored with all the intergalacticness of the current spate of Marvel movies. I long for the more “down-to-Earth” tales I remember from the comics I read at the barbershop when I was a wee lad. That and I’m starting to feel that the homogonous nature/look of many of the Marvel films is becoming boring (but as long as they keep reaping in billions of dollars I fear we’ll only see more generic and cookie-cutteresque films from here on out). Not to mention the frickin dense interconnectedness of the films (i.e. you almost have to see every one because they are all leading up to a final endgame; I sincerely hope that Phase IV comes up with some more creative stand-alone stories). I thought the same thing about Captain Marvel that I did about Black Panther: here’s a film with social and cultural significance as, in this case, it features a strong female lead, but ultimately it was kind of run-of-the-mill, both in terms of story and feel. I was not a fan of Brie Larsen’s “Starman take” on the character (watch the John Carpenter Jeff Bridges’ starring film and you’ll understand what I mean) and quite a bit of the “deadpan” humor felt forced. There were some genuine moments (Captain Marvel and Fury washing dishes, for example) and the cat “Goose” was a scene stealer (they used no less than 4 different cats, too!), but overall this was just a rather ho-hum effort, imho.

FWIW, my favorite MCU films to date have been Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Ant-Man and The Wasp...

US
    4 / 5

A serious tweak on the doppleganger/Prince and the Pauper mythos Us reminded me an awful lot of The Sixth Sense, in that the bait-and-switch trickery is revealed early on and continually hinted at throughout the film, but the somewhat confusing story and nail-biting intensity and fast pacing serve as excellent red herring diversions. That said, I felt kinda stupid for missing all the obvious signs when the twisted reveal drops at the end. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the pointed social commentary lurking in the subtext (it’s not as obvious as Get Out), but there’s lots of jabs at “keeping up with the Joneses”, nature vs. nurture, and primal urges vs sophisticated ones. Quite a few holes emerge in the story once you spend time ruminating on it post-viewing, but it’s a taut and intense horror thriller that I feel is worth a second viewing.

CAPTAIN MARVEL
    2.5 / 5

FWIW, my favorite MCU films to date have been Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Ant-Man and The Wasp...

What?!? No Deadpool??

Took Chinese gf to see Ash is Purist White again. She liked it and looks a lot like Qiao and dresses like her too. Good movie.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by 4matic; 04-21-2019 at 05:15 PM.

So it looks like Avengers Endgame is going off huge at the worldwide box office. With the majority of reviews strongly positive, some are actually thinking it could knock Avatar out of the #1 all time spot. Sounds like it is a good wrap up of the Marvel universe phases 1-3.

I hope to see it this weekend (if I can get in!).
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

PSA: Go see Avengers: Endgame.

Afterwards, go see Avengers: Endgame again.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Here’s the dumbest person on tgr
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

Glad I have zero[0] interest in Marvel comics movies and won't be in a crowded theatre for 3 hours+.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Glad I have zero[0] interest in Marvel comics movies and won't be in a crowded theatre for 3 hours+.

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    What?!? No Deadpool??
    Deadpool isn't an MCU movie, you comicbook JONG.
    "What are you trying to say? I'm crazy? When I went to your ski schools, I went on your church trips, I went to your alpine race-training facilities? So how can you say I'm crazy?!"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadpool_(film)

Admittedly, it's all a hot mess.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    PSA: Go see Avengers: Endgame.

Afterwards, go see Avengers: Endgame again.
    So I've seen it once so far and I think I have to take your advice and watch it again (which I rarely do with movies). Especially for the third act. There was so much going on I need to watch it again to fully appreciate it.

Honestly I didn’t really like it. It felt like the last episode of a sitcom series and not really a coherent story. Won’t go into too many details to avoid spoilers.

TBH I’ve had a hard time with the last handful of Marvel movies based on the Avengers characters.

The other offerings like Captain Marvel and Spider-verse I thought were so much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Sounds like it is a good wrap up of the Marvel universe phases 1-3.
    Good. Then hopefully we can all have a break from them. Been getting comic book movie fatigue for a while now. Haven't even bothered with the last few. I HAVE wanted to watch them and all, but just kind of been less enthused than I used to be. Same goes for the Star Wars films. I think I preferred when a new release was something truly special. We've just been bombarded these last few years, though. Kind of like having too much cake or something. Not saying they're BAD or anything. I'm just not as hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Good. Then hopefully we can all have a break from them. Been getting comic book movie fatigue for a while now. Haven't even bothered with the last few. I HAVE wanted to watch them and all, but just kind of been less enthused than I used to be. Same goes for the Star Wars films. I think I preferred when a new release was something truly special. We've just been bombarded these last few years, though. Kind of like having too much cake or something. Not saying they're BAD or anything. I'm just not as hyped.
    Wait, what?
    This coming from the guy who couldn't stop urging us all to go see Alita, which is based on a manga, which is basically Japanese for "comic book"?

dookey67 said he was listing his favorite MCU movies. Deadpool the comicbook character is owned by Marvel Comics (a subsidiary of Disney), but Deadpool movie rights are held by Fox because the comicbook character first appeared in an X-Men related book (New Mutants #98) even though the comicbook character isn't a mutant (and the movie character Deadpool is... sort of).

So, the Deadpool movies are Fox movies, not MCU movies. But, considering dookey67's taste in comicbook movies, I'm betting Deadpool would rank pretty high with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    watch it again...so much going
    It's definintely a serious time commitment to go through it all again, but I found myself enjoying it a lot more the second time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    last episode of a sitcom
    I hear ya. My buddy said it felt like a clip show of "Friends" or something. While I can see where you're coming from, I have a ton of respect for the unparalleled degree of difficulty these writers and directors had. Endings are notoriously difficult to write, and we've seen so many final installments of franchises fail; but we've never seen any movie attempt to bring closure (I know it's not THE END, that's not how these things work, but it is An Ending) to a decade worth of movies. I went in expecting a Dark Knight Rises, or Return of the Jedi, or The Last Crusade. While I personally like RotJ more, I think Avengers: Endgame is better than any other Final Chapter and has a more difficult trick to pull off.

[QUOTE=CS2-6;5661162

I hear ya. My buddy said it felt like a clip show of "Friends" or something.[/QUOTE]

Ha. Exactly. I think if you are invested in the Marvel Universe already, then it’s probably nice to see it all tied up so neatly, but for someone like me who has drifted away the last few years there wasn’t a lot there for me.

I found myself being like, “who is that guy?” on multiple occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    dookey67 said he was listing his favorite MCU movies. Deadpool the comicbook character is owned by Marvel Comics (a subsidiary of Disney), but Deadpool movie rights are held by Fox because the comicbook character first appeared in an X-Men related book (New Mutants #98) even though the comicbook character isn't a mutant (and the movie character Deadpool is... sort of).

So, the Deadpool movies are Fox movies, not MCU movies. But, considering dookey67's taste in comicbook movies, I'm betting Deadpool would rank pretty high with him. .......
    Like I said, a hot mess ..... but yeah, technically .......

Wait, what?
    This coming from the guy who couldn't stop urging us all to go see Alita, which is based on a manga, which is basically Japanese for "comic book"?
    True, true. I suppose I'm just weary of the stuff coming from Disney/Marvel. How many times does Spiderman and Batman (DC, I know) need to be 'rebooted'? Although Alita's a few decades old, it at least felt like something fresh from Hollywood. Something they haven't regurgitated 20 times over.

I’m w/ dookey on “Avengers Endgame”. I find it just too random who will have the best superpower in any specific fight. Captain Marvel can blow right through a spaceship, but can’t do something else? Oh, that’s right, there “Are a thousand other planets” having some issues. She’s stretched a little thin here, OK? 3 hours is too long, when the movie isn’t based on a book, and even then, I’m glad we saw it at a movie and dinner place.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda