Page 17 of 68 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    You know how to roll goat
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Wonder Woman did not suck. Maybe one of the best superhero origin stories ever. I'd say 4.5/5. Rotten Tomatoes says 94%.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    KING ARTHUR: THE LEGEND of the SWORD - 3.5 / 5
    For the most part I found the film to be extremely entertaining. I'd give it a strong 3.5 out of 5, almost a 4; docking it half a point for some of the fantastical elements that I felt were a bit over-the-top (for my taste they were wholly unecessary).
    That said, Guy Ritchie's direction and editing were nuts (his continued nod to Peckinpah really works; that's integrated real time and slo-mo/quasi still frame). The film also reminded me a bit of John Carter, another failed blockbuster that got the shaft from critics and the populace at large and was actually pretty decent.
    Man I could not disagree with you more. I'm with Peter Travers, Rotten Tomatoes, MetaCritic, the Wall Street Journal, Roger Ebert and pretty much everybody else on this one. 1 out of 5 stars. Theres a reason why Rotten Tomatoes gave this movie a 28%. IT IS A HORRIBLE MOVIE

"Director Guy Ritchie can turn London crime dramas into cinematic lightning – think of his breakthrough movie Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998), Snatch (2000) and RocknRolla (2008). But apply his fast cuts and jagged pacing to the Arthurian legend and you get, well, a brutal, bleedin' mess. That about sums up King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, an epic bore that believes if you make a movie long and loud and repetitive enough, audiences will conclude it's saying something profound. Wrong."
    http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...rew-up-w479889

The wife wanted to see Wonder Woman. I was reluctant as I'm kinda burnt out on super hero movie redundancy - huge frenetic CG action scenes against baddies trying to blow up a city/world where some sort of giant light beam comes into play.

I'm glad I went. After Logan and Deadpool, that was probably the best recent superhero movie. The film did a really good job of building up the character's awareness of her abilities without going over the top. Her hand-to-hand combat scene mid movie was fantastic. The thing I didn't care for was the constant "innocence" interaction she had when she reached London. I think the director was trying to go for some comedy (like Marvel does) but it fell flat. Highly recommend, go see it.

Saw Baywatch over Memorial Day weekend.

Quite entertaining as long as you go in with the mindset of being there for the T&A and humor. Actually I lot more comedy than I thought it was going to have, and quite a lot of it at the expense of it's legacy. And yes, dick, tit and fart jokes aplenty.

It's also quite easy to convince the ladyfolk to come as well between The Rock and Zac Efron.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    I can't remember the last time I watched a movie not high. Watched Guardian vol.2 in IMAX 3D blazed and geeked out on edibles. It was fantastic, and the best part was I forget half the movie and plot so it's a fresh watch the second time around. ;-)
    Gift that keeps on giving...

out of curiosity, have you ever gone back and re-watched a movie that you saw in a haze while sober to see if it still was amazing?
    The first time I watched Beetlejuice I was 'shrooming and I laughed so hard throughout my sides ached and I had to rewind a few times to see what I missed while I was rotflmao. Later viewings were pretty good, but nowhere near that good.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Not for all of you, but if you have kids btwn say 6 -12, Captain Underpants was pretty entertaining for the whole family. The best family movie since Lego Movie (not the stupid Batman one).
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    The wife wanted to see Wonder Woman. I was reluctant as I'm kinda burnt out on super hero movie redundancy - huge frenetic CG action scenes against baddies trying to blow up a city/world where some sort of giant light beam comes into play.

I'm glad I went. After Logan and Deadpool, that was probably the best recent superhero movie. The film did a really good job of building up the character's awareness of her abilities without going over the top. Her hand-to-hand combat scene mid movie was fantastic. The thing I didn't care for was the constant "innocence" interaction she had when she reached London. I think the director was trying to go for some comedy (like Marvel does) but it fell flat. Highly recommend, go see it.
    Same here. Went and saw it last night with the wife because she wanted to. Much better than most of the comic book movies being put out right now. It still had some of the same tired tropes in it, but I think that's an issue of it being out towards the end of this fad, and not in the prime of it like it should have been. Overall, very enjoyable. My wife thought it was a great woman-power sort of flick, too.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES
    not exactly sure where I stand with this flick, so I'mma give it a limp-wristed 2.75 / 5 stars
    the opening action sequence was waaaaaaay over-the-top, to the point of corniness-beyond-belief.
    that said, the very next action sequence (the execution scene) was also over-the-top, but in a good way.
    Depp is kinda insufferable as Jack Sparrow for the first act and into the second, but then he mellows out a tad and becomes bearable (the schtick, needless to say, is getting a bit tepid in the boot).
    i found myself bouncing back and forth between thinking the film was stupid and enjoying the hell out of it.
    it takes awhile to get moving and then it peters between being cool and lame in equal measures.
    i spent much of the first act thinking i'd missed something from the previous films, but that was all rectified in Act II.
    there is some lame flashback CG to make Johnny Depp look younger at one point (oh how I miss the days when they just found some new, unknown actor to play the flashback bits, rather than CG the whole thing; it just looks so fake), which was distracting as hell. some of the other CG moments were a bit out-of-hand/unreal looking, thus distracting, but some of it was kinda cool.
    methinks the franchise is running out of steam; (this film felt like a complete brass ring money grab, for the most part and sadly, they have set it up for more sequels (stay through the credits as they do the Marvel thang at the very, very end).
    having a 6-year gap since the last film definitely worked against this one, that for sure (again, I spent a large chunk of the film trying to remember the previous four films and whether or not I'd forgotten/missed any of the mythology).

oh yeah, there's a '60s music icon cameo, which felt both forced and cool at the same time...

http://screencrush.com/worst-pirates...ean-5-reviews/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Do NOT, I repeat, do not waste your time and money on The Mummy. I went in with low expectations, and was still disappointed.

Baby Driver, conversely, is more than worth the price of admission

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Nice. That one looked good from the trailers.

Do NOT, I repeat, do not waste your time and money on The Mummy. I went in with low expectations, and was still disappointed.
    I rather enjoyed the first hour; it had some nice atmosphere and some decent action and solid pacing.
    However...once Russell Crowe showed up the film totally derailed. Not sure what the f@#k they were thinking there.
    That, and the complete aloofness of it was disarming; it was as if they (the screenwriters and director) had recently watched Romancing the Stone and American Werewolf in London and thought, "that's the vibe we should go for!". Sadly, it worked in those two aforementioned films, but not so much here.
    If this film is supposed to set up a new franchise (The Dark Universe, where they reimagine all the classic Universal horror icons (Dracula, Werewolf, Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc.), heaven help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    Fuck yeah. Barry Seals lived it full tilt. And then the govt let him get killed.

Holy shit! That was so good, like "if you only see one movie this summer" good. Best I've seen in a while. Killer photography, soundtrack, and editing.

Caught 47 Meters Down yesterday.
    Pretty much what you would expect, in terms of a B-movie, shark-fest. It had some cat-leaping-out-of-the-closet/jump-out-of-your-seat moments and some really claustrophobic underwater photography.
    I only wish the ending had been a bit more nihilistic (it throws a fakey twist that is good, but then re-twists it in a way that was kind of lame).
    Probably not worth the BIG screen experience, unless you are a diehard B-movie and Mandy Moore fan, but def worth a rental when it hits DVD/streaming (will be interested to see if they have alternate endings on the DVD...)

I'm pretty sure I'm just not a Nolan appreciator: Dunkirk was OK, appreciated the spare style up to a point but thought the characters were kind of empty, and the forward-backward jumping between character plot lines is just annoying.

I liked the direct, cliche-less style of Dunkirk. It was about survival, dealing with a problem and moving on to the next problem. I thought it was great that there were no generals looking at maps, or war-department secretaries typing sad letter, or wives at home worrying. Just some poor bastards trying to live.

Actually I am a bit surprised that nobody has made mention of this little ditty, which opens this week:

ATOMIC BLONDE

To paraphrase the once mighty critic Joe Bob Briggs, at least as I would imagine him saying, in a heavy Texas drawl, no less: "It's like John Wick with titties..." (ironically, it is directed by one of the directors of the first John Wick, no less)

Whoa... Never heard of it. Looks worth a viewing for sure.

Unfortunately, Charlize is not known for her tatas .... but it certainly looks like good clean wholesome fun

Charlize is still at the top of my list. But she is OCD, so I lost faith in a long term relationship. Plus, the wife might not be game for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Whoa... Never heard of it. Looks worth a viewing for sure.
    critics have apparently been creaming over the stairwell fight sequence (at least according to the life-sized lobby billboard at the local cineplex that has like a dozen quotes about how the stairwell fight sequence is worth the $12 admission alone).

i'mma hold judgement until i see it, since both The Raid and The Raid 2 (and even Daredevil season 2) had amazing stairwell fight sequences...so the bar is set pretty fuckin' high, imho...

critics have apparently been creaming over the stairwell fight sequence (at least according to the life-sized lobby billboard at the local cineplex that has like a dozen quotes about how the stairwell fight sequence is worth the $12 admission alone).

i'mma hold judgement until i see it, since both The Raid and The Raid 2 (and even Daredevil season 2) had amazing stairwell fight sequences...so the bar is set pretty fuckin' high, imho...
    Might be that i was watching it on my phone, but didnt look that realistic. You could see her pulling punches and some spots were slightly off.

I assume the amazing part is that its a massively long fight scene (a la The Protector) but kinda took me out of it.