Page 16 of 68 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Yeah I found it a bit disappointing but not bad. I was hoping the ending would be more subtle. The space station setting was pretty impressive though there were some unrealistic bits.

It might have been the super silver haze making it more super for me.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by NoPostholio View Post
    It might have been the super silver haze making it more super for me.
    totally understandable.

when i was a film critic, I gave House of the Dead like 5 stars because I saw it in a bit of a haze. Got a lot of heat for that review, too.
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/10/...se-of-the-dead
    My manager did not want to not run it, but my editor stood by my take after I explained the condition I was in when viewing it. I believe his policy was "as long as you are willing to stand by the review and defend it..."

PS
    it looks like they took my numerical score off the review...I believe I gave it a 4/5 or 8-to-9 out of 10...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Furious #8.

Cmon, secretly you know you want to see it. So, who's going. Heck, my 62 yr old wife wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Furious #8.

Cmon, secretly you know you want to see it. So, who's going. Heck, my 62 yr old wife wants to.
    I saw it. Possibly more over the top than expected. Good mindless popcorn flick.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    directed by Martin McDonagh

this looks pretty damn bueno:

Definitely. Thank you. I don't pay close attention to whats out lately.

Dude who directed In Bruges, Seven psychopaths, and Calvary, along with Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson? Sounds promising

Oh yeah, love when Francis gets all pushybitch. Gonna be hard to wait until the October release.

Seriously, we need more quality movies of this type.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I saw it. Possibly more over the top than expected. Good mindless popcorn flick.
    Would totally agree. Though I have to say that I didn't find it as over-the-top as the trailers led it to be (it's still over-the-top, mind you, but the trailers had me saying "WTF?!?" and the actual film just had me entertained).

I would say that the tone of the series has been changing radically since the 5th film and now they have fully crossed over into the James Bond-meets-Mission Impossible arena. I mean this film had a bonafide super-villain hell-bent on world domination, lots of gadgets, and tons of exotic locales (which have been standard in the films since the 4th).

The series seems to have drifted into cruise control (albeit in overdrive), as there's very little in terms of further character development, that being replaced with over-the-top action sequences. It will be kind of interesting to see where they take it from here.

I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5 as it is incredibly fast paced and highly entertaining.

FREE FIRE
    3.5 (out of 5)

Ben Wheatley and Amy Jump's latest borrows a bit from the Tarantino playbook and feels like a dirtier, meaner, much more violent take on things like Reservoir Dogs (it also reminded me of the overlooked Clive Owens vehicle, Shoot 'Em Up, for some reason, even though that film owes more to Lone Wolf and Cub...).

Great cast. Some nice twists. But it was missing that little something to push it over the edge into greatness. Perhaps it was its obvious ode to QT, I dunno. But if you dig violent, double-crossing, containment (i.e. taking place in one location) thrillers, then this might be up your alley.

RIYL:
    Reservoir Dogs
    Sushi Girl
    The Killing Jar

Apparently hot blonde chicks menaced by sharks is the cool, new summer sub-genre of movies (last year we had The Shallows).

Not current but dark tower trailer dropped today.
    https://youtu.be/GjwfqXTebIY
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

KING ARTHUR: THE LEGEND of the SWORD - 3.5 / 5

For the most part I found the film to be extremely entertaining. I'd give it a strong 3.5 out of 5, almost a 4; docking it half a point for some of the fantastical elements that I felt were a bit over-the-top (for my taste they were wholly unecessary).
    That said, Guy Ritchie's direction and editing were nuts (his continued nod to Peckinpah really works; that's integrated real time and slo-mo/quasi still frame). There's a brothal interrogation scene early in the film that is beyond brilliant.
    The score was a crazy folk-electro-rock concoction that fit well (and reminded me a tad of how they integrated rock music into A Knight's Tale, another PoMo reworking of the whole knights genre).
    Charlie Hunnam was solid and Jude Law was damn near delicious in his smarmy evilness. The supporting cast was very strong, as well.
    The film also reminded me a bit of John Carter, another failed blockbuster that got the shaft from critics and the populace at large and was actually pretty decent.
    It is a shame that this flick will undoubtedly get swallowed up not only by Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Alien: Covenant, but also the latest Pirates of the Caribbean...
    Oh yeah, definitely worth seeing on the BIG screen...

Alien covenant was really good - who would have guessed Danny McBride as a heavyweight in a Ridley Scott film.

Alien covenant was really good - who would have guessed Danny McBride as a heavyweight in a Ridley Scott film.
    Did you watch this one in a super silver haze, too?

Guilty as charged

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 - 4 stars out of 5

Rather enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
    I mean it comes out the gate with a poop joke and follows that up about 40-minutes later with a penis joke, so they've got the shit & dick angle covered. Dave Bautista continues to nail it. Michael Rooker may just be one of America's cinematic treasures. The pacing is quick and deadly, the aloof banter is top-notch, and the action is solid. That said, it has a deep undercurrent about family and friends and loyalty and love (I will admit to tearing up in a few places given the sentimentality) that isn't too mushy or Hallmarky, but rather compliments the entire film. Thinking I may have dug it more than the first film...
    Last edited by dookey67; 05-31-2017 at 10:14 AM.

Agree: better than the first.

SSH was not mandatory for GG2 - the initial sequence with Kurt R was pretty spooky effects wise.

SSH was not mandatory for GG2 - the initial sequence with Kurt R was pretty spooky effects wise.
    apparently no CGI, either...

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/gua...-galaxy-vol-2/

and i am on the fence in regards to your SSH movie ritual. it's either genius, in that it makes sh!tty movies appear great or, more likely, it's severely affecting your critical judgement in regards to what is and isn't a sh!tty movie (fwiw, Alien: Covenant was kinda sh!tty).

then, again, I once gave House of the Dead 4 out of 5 stars due to having seen it in a red-eye state, so who am I to criticize?

I'm going to go with it being genius

I'm going to go with it being genius

out of curiosity, have you ever gone back and re-watched a movie that you saw in a haze while sober to see if it still was amazing?

last year I watched The Nice Guys in an altered state and laughed my a$$ off. Re-watched it the next day with a clear mind and it was just as funny, albeit in different spots.
    did the same with this really bugged out Turkish horror film, Baskin. It was a serious head-trip whilst glazed, but just as trippy and f@#ked-up the next day sober.

would be interested to see how you felt about, say, Life and Alien:Covenant sober (we've already established that GotGVol2 is pretty damn near genius and doesn't need any altered mind assistance).

Not vaping at the movies would be like skipping the hot dog and beer at ball game - why punish yourself?
    That said my movie reviews need an asterisk accordingly -

I can't remember the last time I watched a movie not high. Watched Guardian vol.2 in IMAX 3D blazed and geeked out on edibles. It was fantastic, and the best part was I forget half the movie and plot so it's a fresh watch the second time around. ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid