Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

School me on down comforters

It's time to invest. Any brands or advice?

It's all we use in our house. (My wife is German, and will not sleep with conventional sheets). Here is all you need to know, and don't settle for less:

800 Fill Power Canadian White Goose Down (Hypoallergenic)
    340 Thread Count German milled Egyptian Cotton
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I love em in the winter, get waaaay too sweaty in the summer (despite the claims to the contrary)
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Don't buy white, the monkey sex stains show up more readily. Go with a nice yellow or purple if you are feeling fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Don't buy white, the monkey sex stains show up more readily. Go with a nice yellow or purple if you are feeling fancy.
    did you not learn about dark colored blankets in college?

I prefer "Jizz-off white" or "Spooge yellow", depending on the day...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    It's all we use in our house. (My wife is German, and will not sleep with conventional sheets). Here is all you need to know, and don't settle for less:

Send me yours when you're done with it.....waaaay to expensive

For me, down comforter is too warm. I like down blanket.

I bet all of mine are 10+ years old. If you go with less than 800 Fill Powder, you get the pins and needles feeling...not comfy.

If you are going to do it, spend the extra 2 franklins, keep it forever, and be comfy. Remember, feathers are not down.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post

On sale at Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Luxury-German-.../dp/B005CJAEQE

We use a down comforter about 6 months out of the year. We've had the same one for almost a decade now. I'm thinking about upgrading this fall to something with a little more loft so this is a timely thread. I would imagine that now is the time to start shopping for them since it's 90* all over the country right now.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    oh god, my summer nightmare is an oversized king in a "warmest" weight... I'd be dead of dehydration the next morning...

Get one that's got quilted squares to maintain fill distribution.
    Silent....but shredly.

http://www.overstock.com/Bedding-Bat...4&searchidx=16

This one, palatial king, will keep you nice and warm all winter for $429. Keep checking overstock.com. They have a lot of good deals on down comforters. You just have to watch it for a month or so to find what you really want.

The other thing that I forgot to mention is even if you have a king bed, you need to have 2 twin comforters; one for each sleeper. You need your own comforter. This way there is no restriction. For temperature control, left arm out, left leg out; right arm out, right leg out; only a small piece over your stomach. Some many options to keep you cozy

I'm going to ll bean to check some out. I'm not sure I want to buy one unseen unless someone recommends a specific brand. I've heard of a few where the baffle stitching was not of good quality resulting in shifting. At least with llbean I can return it in a month if I'm not happy.

You can never go too far wrong with Bean.

Shutters, the hotel on the beach in Santa Monica, has started their own bedding line. It's fairly inexpensive, but it's the same stuff they use in the hotel and it's noticeably really nice when you're staying there. Worh a look at least: http://www.shuttersbeachstyle.com/pr...itemID=SHT-112

IMHO $500 for something you use every night for a decade or more isn't a whole lot of money. That Amazon one icemang found is a pretty good deal, especially compared to the Cuddledown ones.

And your pets will love you to death!

Went for the ll bean, 800 fill is too much, Mr. Sicks puts off some heat. I'll let you know what I think in a month. If I don't think it's worth it I'm going to try that link Iceman posted.

Seems like there's less reason these days to consider spending any real money on a down comforter. The last one I bought was off of amazon.. less than $300 for a really warm king size one. 800+ fill, nice 300+ tc cotton. It's super warm, the panels are not too big, not too small. The fill stays put, and it hasn't leaked at all. You can spend as much as you want, but considering you'll put a cover over it anyway, I don't see how you could do much better.

For a less warm one, spending a lot of money seems even more pointless... I still have the three season one I bought at ikea 15 years ago. Works great. Pretty sure it was ~$100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

When I was in high school, my mom got me a down comforter for my birthday. This was around the same time I began training to be a professional weed smoker, and coincided nicely with the start of me hacking up a lung as soon as I went to bed every night, through the night. Accusations started flying that I was smoking "something". I denied, fully expecting the other shoe to drop at any time. Instead, I eventually got the apology of a lifetime when the old lady realized that I was probably allergic to down. Somewhat surprisingly, she was right, as the symptoms disappeared as soon as I ditched the down comforter.

I still can't sleep with down and am the dork that has to ask for down-free bedding when I check in to a hotel. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to weed.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    When I was in high school, my mom got me a down comforter for my birthday. This was around the same time I began training to be a professional weed smoker, and coincided nicely with the start of me hacking up a lung as soon as I went to bed every night, through the night. Accusations started flying that I was smoking "something". I denied, fully expecting the other shoe to drop at any time. Instead, I eventually got the apology of a lifetime when the old lady realized that I was probably allergic to down. Somewhat surprisingly, she was right, as the symptoms disappeared as soon as I ditched the down comforter.

I still can't sleep with down and am the dork that has to ask for down-free bedding when I check in to a hotel. Fortunately, I'm not allergic to weed.
    Poor guy. You know, I passed on the more expensive comforter from ll bean today because it was 700 fill weight. It had been prewashed many times to make it "hypoallegenic" I can only hope you can someday enjoy the pleasantry.

Take a look at the ones at Costco, if you have a membership there. We bought two or three online (couldn't really tell the difference), kept the one we liked most, returned the rest to the local store. Pleased with it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.