Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    If it's within your unit, look at the access at Shawnee on the north side of the north fork of the South Platte. Some monsters up there between the private ranches.
    Thanks for the advice Pow, I've been scouting the Payne Gulch area across the street, but I'll take a look over there.

I just took possession of a Remington Sportsman 12 Pump and I plan to slay ducks with it. Am I good to go, or will I wish I had an auto?
    Last edited by 5B; 07-06-2013 at 07:13 AM.

Don't worry about an auto, my 2 buddies and i still use pump, just go practice a bit, you'll be fine.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Allegedly there is a rifle and scope coming to me as graduation present from my bro and sis-in-law. Either way, I think I can get Black Friday off so I can finally kill something bigger than a bird and eat it.
    Some of those deer spook easily though. They know they're hunted. Stalked a trophy buck a few years ago, but due to inexperience, failed.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Missed last season due to moving and starting a new job. This year, I'll be hitting North Texas dove season and restarting the fall pheasant hunt tradition in South Dakota with one of my college roommates.

I'm fortunate to have those two opportunities and therefore can't complain about missing deer season.

Where pheasant hunting?

His family has good tracts of land in Spink and Brown counties. We'll probably hunt the Spink land this year though.

We are more south of that, Hyde County area. Weak last year, but I was just up there and it is hella green. Lots of birds on nest in our plots.

With regard to the 870 I have a friend that regularly shoots doubles and have seen him shoot triples while blocking with an 870.

My GWP turned 1 yesterday. We'll be doing mucho pheasant hunting and probably some grouse up north. In between msukies of course!

BUMP. Anyone had success lately?
    Had a stalk on a 5x5 muley Saturday only to have a bull moose come between us in the brush. Had to sit quiet while the bull bedded down for 90 minutes.

Set my tree stand and pulled the trail cam just yesterday. Hope any one of the six bulls coming into the water hole show up this coming sat. Man I miss elk steak.

I'm not a bow hunter but I've been scouting for rifle season. Bumped into five cows and a five point last week, what a treat. Bow season in Montana just started Saturday. None of the bow hunters I know have dropped a bull yet, but apparently the rut is in full swing.

Had another good chase on a different 5x5 muley, but windy as hell and couldn't get near him.

Struck out on my archery muley tag this year! WTF? Fuck you CDPW! Archery, muley? What gives? Do you know how hard it is to stalk that animal with a bow?

Sat at 5 feet (not shitting you) for 5 minutes in my truck between two monster bucks while making bam bam noises pointing at them on Friday evening. To say I was pissed would be a gross understatement. Got some mushrooms, but Jeebus.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

You could practically lead a herd of black tail deer into my garage with a carrot and hit them with a hammer, but everyone I know has struck out this archery season.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

"If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Might do Utah Elk, but really, really fired up for Duck. Any Utah/Mountain West Mags Duck Hunt? We did a lot of hiking in and biking in on Dikes last year, hoping to have a boat this year.
    I wasn't necessarily planning on duck this year, but I have waders, a pump action 12 gauge and a tolerance for cold. It is tempting ...

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Struck out on my archery muley tag this year! WTF? Fuck you CDPW! Archery, muley? What gives? Do you know how hard it is to stalk that animal with a bow?

Sat at 5 feet (not shitting you) for 5 minutes in my truck between two monster bucks while making bam bam noises pointing at them on Friday evening. To say I was pissed would be a gross understatement. Got some mushrooms, but Jeebus.
    Montana has been pretty skimpy with cow elk tags this year, it seems. I did not draw one--bummer! I only know one guy who did, which is very strange. I did draw antelope though so that's cool, hopefully I can fill it. Seems like muley hunting in Montana is almost a thing of the past. Used to be you could bag one with a general deer tag but now it's all lottery. Populations are down, I guess. Unless you live in the city of Helena, then you get to watch trophy muley bucks walking down the street.

I haven't hunted for about 10 years. Pulled tags this year and went last weekend, saw a few doe that's it. Hollee crap I forgot how fun it is. That primal instinct. I'm a little obsessed right now and only have two weekends left on my tags and one is plagued with birthday parties

Has anyone got anything nice this year?
    Hello darkness my old friend

stoked bc local elk and bison burger pkgs I like to buy have gone down from $12-14 to like $6=7
    skid luxury

TKR surgery recovery kept me out of general modern firearms mulie season this year. We are pondering the high buck hunt next year.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    stoked bc local elk and bison burger pkgs I like to buy have gone down from $12-14 to like $6=7
    Damn. Super stoke
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Ive got 10 Specklebelly geese and 4 ducks (1 teal) so far this season, I got the #2 resi tomorrow at the refuge. Flyin to fork.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Ive got 10 Specklebelly geese and 4 ducks (1 teal) so far this season, I got the #2 resi tomorrow at the refuge. Flyin to fork.
    We got a lengthy one going over here

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...-Thread/page14