Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Otaru

Nikka Whisky Distillery tour in Yoichi

Skymark is a cheap airline and they charge 1000 yen for skis. Here is their baggage policy. You can also send skis by courier for about the same price using Kuroneko (black cat) Yamato's ski TA-Q-BIN but that will take a couple of days.

Won't you have to go through Tokyo to get to Sapporo anyway?
    Last edited by Besniwod; 07-18-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Just booked the one week PowerTrip for the end of Jan, stoked doesn't begin to cover it!

^^^ stoked for you and way jelly! Get sum!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pow View Post
    Otaru

Nikka Whisky Distillery tour in Yoichi
    ^^^ these ^^^

I would say Otaru is worth spending a day. You can train out from Sapporo in half hour or so. There are old Russian buildings, glass blowing factories where you can watch the artists work that are cooler than you'd think. And great seafood!

Sapporo is a wickedly cool city, but culturally unlike old Japan. Hokkaido is barely 150 years old, and even with the bad economy the last thirty years, there has been a lot of development in the city. It's pretty shiny and modern. I was just there last week and the amount of development since last time I was there was staggering. There are a lot of great places to eat and drink in Susukino (the entertainment district). Public transport is world class. It should be easy to meet locals who would love to party with you--bring a spare liver. There is also good skiing inside the city limits at Teine Highland with easy access by bus or taxi. A good mountain shop that serves the backcountry ski community is Shugakuso near Hokkaido University.

You're gonna have a great time!

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Hey telepariah, hope your recent visit to Japan went OK, and vibes. I'm thinking of doing the Japan trip someday soon, and will be sure to be asking you for beta. Unless of course we can plan a trip together.

Quote Originally Posted by telepariah View Post
    ^^^ these ^^^

I would say Otaru is worth spending a day. You can train out from Sapporo in half hour or so. There are old Russian buildings, glass blowing factories where you can watch the artists work that are cooler than you'd think. And great seafood!
    Sweet, on the list! Is the Otaru ski area worth hitting up for some night skiing?

I would stick to the nightlife.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Kind of new to the site , but can't help but be stoked for you regardless!

Just booked my adventure the other day. I will be at Black Diamond from Jan 8th - Feb 26th. Stoked to ski with some mags whilst there.

You guys are going to love it. The snow is amazing and they're good mags over at Black Diamond.
    I was flying solo over New Year's 2012/2013 and joined them for some local days in Niseko and for a multi-resort trip around Sapporo. I personally think that it's not worth being "guided" around the Niseko ski resort area, but definitely worthwhile for the multi-resort part. You get transported to each of the other resorts by van and don't have to worry about transportation logistics or accommodations - which tend to be pricey anyhow. Although they may take up to 12 people, they'll have 2 guides so that you're only ever skiing with a group of six people (i.e. slow group and fast group).
    Should be good. Stoked for you.

Quote Originally Posted by brannen View Post
    Just booked my adventure the other day. I will be at Black Diamond from Jan 8th - Feb 26th. Stoked to ski with some mags whilst there.
    Sweet! I'll be in Japan 16th Jan-4th Feb, staying in BD Lodge 17th-21st (Power Trip 21-28th), and then 28th - (probably) 30th. Would be cool to hook up for some turns/beer!

Greetings from Hokkaido,
    Stoked to hear all the excitement about the upcomng winter and that some of the TGR mags will be joining us again. This will be our 9th year running the lodge and tours and we honestly couldn't be happier with the turnout. It was a dream to be able cater to a niche of hardcore powder junkies, and happily that dream has become reality. Our tours are not cheap, but they maximize each and everyday to the fullest and there is no wasted time or second guessing. If you are on a budget, we offer rental vans at the lowest rates in Hokkaido so you can explore on your own. Our accommodation rates include a free daily shuttle to nearby resorts such as Moiwa, Rusutsu, Kiroro or wherever we think will be best for that day. No we are not the cheapest accom out there but we think we offer the best bang for your buck and there is usually always someone keen to shred with you.
    We might even have a few new surprises this winter!
    Watch our Facebook page for seasonal stoke. Hokkaido is amazing any time of year.

Some shots from January 2013 Ultimate Pow Tour

30 minute skin from the top of Tomamu gets you this:

BD Tour guide Toby
    Furano
    Ski school
    View from top of Shiribetsu

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    Sweet! I'll be in Japan 16th Jan-4th Feb, staying in BD Lodge 17th-21st (Power Trip 21-28th), and then 28th - (probably) 30th. Would be cool to hook up for some turns/beer!
    for sure. im wicked excited for this trip

I'm thinking of doing one of the multi-resort road trips with Black Diamond Tours on Hokkaido next Jan - chasing the pow, seeing the smaller/off the beaten track resorts, and presumably more of the Japanese culture than is found in Niseko, all sound good to me. As I'll be going there solo, having a crew to ski with would also be nice! I'd probably go for the PowerTrip (6/7day).

http://www.blackdiamondtours.com/tou...ti-resort.html

They're not cheap, and it'd take a hefty whack out of my budget, but seem like they could be quite good value overall... Has anyone done one/know anyone who has? Decent standard of skiers/boarders, or a lot of waiting around as people pick themselves up and dust the pow off? Plenty of ski time, or too much spent driving?

I'd be grateful for any info.

Cheers!
    My buddy tail guided for them last season..... PM if you'd like his contact info

Cheers dude, but all booked now so guess I'll just have to see how it goes! I'm not too worried

Hey Coldwater,
    My friends will be out from Jan 12th-20th, think we booked the BD Lodge for the entirety, so looks like we will be there at the same time. We have a rental car booked as well, so plan on doing some exploring. We should meet up for sure. Guess ill PM you as well.

Recent mag reports from the last season?

Was at BDL from the Jan 10-20. Timed it right and had a meter in 3 days to start out. Heading back in January, won't miss Japanuary in my lifetime...

Hey Lindahl - thanks for the bump and reminder I need to sort the TR out!

BD Tours and Lodge are the shit though, you can't really go wrong.

those guys are the best!!!!!
    heres a lil TR i put together. hope to see you guys out there this winter, im trying to go back Jan and Feb again
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...014?highlight=

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Sweet, on the list! Is the Otaru ski area worth hitting up for some night skiing?
    Had some great days at Otaru Tenguyama and Asari last winter.

Small areas but steeper than the Niseko Resort Area. Great snow and amazing views.

So whos coming out this winter??