Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I actually love the Survival Straws. You can get them for around 15$ online. Or at any gun show really.

Another vote for the steripen.

Always carry a bit of iodine. Cheap and effective for emergency.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

I personally use the Platypus Gravity works which is amazing for most applications. It's fast, easy, and filters a lot of water at once. However, for solo filtering aquamira or a life straw is probably most cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Always carry a bit of iodine. Cheap and effective for emergency.
    Have done much backpacking for a long time, but iodine was always what I used. Cheap and effective.

I like a Sawyer mini. Quite versatile. I like how I can set it up with a Platypus bladder and use it as a gravity to fill another bladder or whatever you want. You can also just leave it hanging there with the cap on, and filter it as needed. A tip i picked up elsewhere on the inter-webs: I wrap up the small squeeze bladder, the syringe and the filter along with a few connectors into a 1L (or .5L maybe) Aquafina water bottle with the top cut off. Keeps everything together and you can use to to collect more easily than the squeeze bladder or the platypus bladder. Other pros: very light, can be used as to drink directly from source using straw. Can also be used as permanent or semi-permanent in-line filter between the bite valve and your hydration bladder. Cons: you cannot let it freeze; you need the syringe on longer trips to backwash the filter, which adds a bit of weight. Heavier than iodine or tabs.

As someone already pointed out, many of these suggestions are for filters and not purifiers. A purifier would also kill viruses, which a filter cannot filter out. If I'm to understand correctly, viruses aren't really an issue in most (almost all?) parts of U.S. and Canada.

I've carried tabs as a backup in case I break the mini or accidentally expose it to freezing temps for too long. Once exposed, there is no real way to tell if its ruined, so you have to bin it just to be sure. You could continue to use it for silt, but you'd still need tabs or iodine or something else, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by patagonialuke View Post
    I personally use the Platypus Gravity works which is amazing for most applications. It's fast, easy, and filters a lot of water at once. However, for solo filtering aquamira or a life straw is probably most cost effective.
    I have been using the platypus gravity filter for like three years now and it is great. Its also convenient to fill the dirty bag (the bigger one for more people and base camps) and have it ready as needed.

I think the sawyer filters are a little bit lighter but they aren't as reliable. I probably have only backflushed my platypus filter once a year, and I have filtered some pretty milky glacier run off...

Plus I met the guy who started that company while touring down by Crystal a few years ago.

Google <timberline water filter>

Cheap, light, simple and reliable. Been using these for years. Light enough to take on long mtb rides, sturdy enough for basecamp use. It definitely has it's limitations, primarily a fairly low flow rate so you need to be patient with it, but for the money it can't be beat.

http://www.everestgear.com/371232.ht...ucts&kw=371232

fractions for fun

Does anyone fraction boiled water, to leave some organic wastes behind and kick it up a notch by getting out some potential industrial/pharmaceutical toxicities? Can it be done without taking too much weight/volume in storage? So far I've only come across single or two stage solar distillery, not particularly reviewing such contaminants specifically.

Backpacking I used chlorine dioxide tabs... relatively fast, very light, pretty cheap, minimal taste.
    I have a Steripen for international travel = Mexico/China tap water in my nalgene!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    I have been using the platypus gravity filter for like three years now and it is great. Its also convenient to fill the dirty bag (the bigger one for more people and base camps) and have it ready as needed.
    The gravity set up is pretty sweet. I like to set up my sawyer mini the same way whenever I can. I use a regular platypus 3L bladder as the unfiltered bag. I'd pay the small weight penalty to use the same setup solo, though, it is maybe a 2 oz hit over the small (16-24 oz?) bag the mini comes with.
    Last edited by Jong Lafitte; 06-24-2016 at 01:14 PM.

I've been using the Lifewater Survival Straw and I love it. There are some other good ones as well but for the money it's hard to beat.

CNOC stuff is top of my list, cant go wrong with anything they sell tbh

I'm a huge fan of the Platypus Quickdraw. Slap it on top of any disposable water bottle, fill up and drink directly from the filter. Fairly lightweight, easy to clean, and great flow rate. The Sawyer Squeeze is also decent, but I've found the Quickdraw's flow is better. If you're filtering a lot of water, get a CNOC bag to go with the Quickdraw.

Also, Aquamira is great for price/weight. It's much cheaper then buying a filter, and way lighter then a filter.